Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Adding the 3M tape to roof edges

leightonjthomas

leightonjthomas

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Front panel mod was sorted in the last of the T5's around 2014/15
Not quite- mine is May’15 and it had to have the dreaded “cap” repair last November because of corrosion to the front panel. VWCS said that this was the only T5 of that age where the problem has recurred.

burnercan

burnercan

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
I was thinking the same, ...
<thinks out loud> do I really want to start the warranty roof repair saga? take too long, they mess it up, have to do the whole area? bugger-up the bellows? or maybe I just treat the locals myself and maybe in the long term it will be better?

It will have to be really bad before I would start a warranty claim. Prevention is a much more attractive option for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

larrylamb

larrylamb

Ex Cali & Club Joker owner.
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Please Select
Not quite- mine is May’15 and it had to have the dreaded “cap” repair last November because of corrosion to the front panel. VWCS said that this was the only T5 of that age where the problem has recurred.
Shame, looks like one got through the net. As far as I know it is the same mod on the late T5's and T6's to the front panel. Obviously not 100% successful but looks like it has had a huge impact on front panel corrosion. Hope yours is sorted for good now.

Kmann

Kmann

Iben & Henrik
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Game on … just ordered the tape ;-)

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Forever young (ish!)
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have emails from VW that the Roof is covered under the 10 year corrosion warranty if anyone what’s a copy for a claim that VW try to dismiss
That would be great! Will PM you with my email address.

Keith Smith

Keith Smith

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Thats very depressing to see the roof problem emerging again on the T6. I wasn't going to look at my roof but I've just ordered the tape, 3 rolls of Sellotape for £43! Now I just hope it works and I've caught it in time.

Billywizz

Billywizz

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I honestly think in time the “new VW mod bodge” will always have the same outcome... until they change the material of the roof that’s what will always happen in time!

H

Hotel California

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Who was it again that said EVERY Cali will have roof corrosion in time even the T6...
There where many non belivers every time i wrote it on the forum , here is one brave enough to actually look and show it .
Good thing @Loz you applyed the tape i would advise (again) everyone to do so.
Myself will have to wait until VW does it when "the job" gets done....my T5 is allready infected long time ago.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I honestly think in time the “new VW mod bodge” will always have the same outcome... until they change the material of the roof that’s what will always happen in time!
It's not so much the roof material but the Roof Aluminium Alloy in conjunction with the Steel insert of the Rubber Edge Seal.
One or other need to change or be insulated from each other so that water cannot bridge the gap.

T6 CFO

T6 CFO

Mike
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Mine was delivered Jan 2017. Just missed it. So agree @Teejay1’s should be done

Mike

Teejay

Teejay

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I checked my roof last summer at 1 year old and all was good.
Earlier this year I ordered the 3M protection tape to do the edges myself before the corrosion starts but today was the first Hot day I got to fit the tape.

So I removed the side and rear parts of the roof seal and used some detailer to wipe off the build up of dirt.
View attachment 33192

After cleaning I examined the area along the edges and found 2 issues, 1 where the soft paint was crimped when the seal was first applied;
View attachment 33191
And the second is a paint bubble right at the front. (Sorry, the photo is not in focus as I couldn't see in the bright sunlight)
View attachment 33190

I then cleaned it all up with Isopropanol and applied the tape.
View attachment 33189
Folded the bottom up inside.
View attachment 33193

Sprayed the seal and tape with silicone spray and refitted the seal.
View attachment 33194

Job done in 1 hour.
I was disappointed to see the bubble at the front that was not there when I first checked, hopefully being sealed no more moisture will get in and make it any worse.

Hi Loz
I'm interested how you coped with the corners. Did you over lap the tape or was it flexible enough to just form it around?