Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Problems

ballistic

ballistic

VIP Member
Had our T6 Ocean for three weeks now, so far our rear brake light fell out on the M25, the control panel display died and the window above the cooker was leaking when it rained!

All being repaired under warranty but we are now wondering what next????

Not a good start!

Indeed not a good start but all things you have sufferd so far ar under the "usual" failure the T5 had so nothing new .
Still not a good feeling spending all that money and then need to bring the Cali in for repairs like that.

Myself had non of the failures you mentiont so far (2012 SE LHD ) , but i had some other minor issues like fresh waterpump failure within' the first weeks...

Try and get it fixed thru the dealer/warrenty , don't go DIY on a new verhicle !

Hopefully you have just been unlucky. The sink tap on my August 2015 T5 Cali failed six weeks ago (i.e. after 9 months), and the replacement tap fitted under warranty was faulty also (or so I was told when I found water all over the cupboard under the sink after the supposed repair!) Frustrating and worrying. As you say, you find yourself wondering what next. However, tap repair 2 has been fine so far, and I've had no other problems.

I agree with Hotel California about getting the repairs done through the dealer warranty, though I certainly had some unprintable thoughts during the three trips I had to make to the dealership to get my sink tap sorted out.

Hope all goes well from now on and you can enjoy your Cali.

I have had the brake light fault and window leak! The fix for the leaking window was to replace the whole window but the replacement is just as bad. VW's proposed next step is to remove the kitchen unit to investigate! So make sure that the leak is cured!
After much head scratching and poking around under the sink I can say the window seals do not keep water out. The water that gets past the seal is supposed to drain out through drains built into the bottom of the frame. These leak and allow water to drip down onto the waste water tank.

This also gives me a cause for concern. I had to have a new pump fitted to the pop up roof after only 4 weeks ownership. I expected a significantly better build quality for my 50k to be honest and so as yet, I don't yet have full trust and confidence in the product. You have my empathy Ballistic!

As ArunAlec says, the sliding windows leak and his description is spot on.

I've had three T5s with sliding windows, they have all leaked to some degree. Various options have been tried by the dealers from changing just the sliding section to changing the whole window unit all of which have never managed to cure the problem. Talking to my dealer when the T6 came out I was told the at some sort of seminar the service staff were told that the problem still existed and was still under investigation.

Not bad for a vehicle that has been in production for nearly fourteen years!

Rod

Had our T6 Ocean for three weeks now, so far our rear brake light fell out on the M25, the control panel display died and the window above the cooker was leaking when it rained!

All being repaired under warranty but we are now wondering what next????

Not a good start!
Hi we are thinking of buying a new T6 ocean and are concerned about the number of faults I have seen in the various forums. Would you have bought it if you would have known you would get these faults ?

Hi we are thinking of buying a new T6 ocean and are concerned about the number of faults I have seen in the various forums. Would you have bought it if you would have known you would get these faults ?

Yes. We all love our calis. And the faults do not cast enough shadow to ruin the pleasure having one. Of cause it is annoring if you discover faults, but most times its solved under warranty. And remember, people tend to write more when they have a problem. Most owners do not have any issues at all.

Go get one ;-)

Yes.

I came in with eyes wide open after owning an Audi for five years. Unlike the Cali the Audi had nothing going for it. I had a wobble when I ordered the Cali but in my opinion there is nothing else on the market.

Mine hasn't had the usual faults but has had the rear brake light replaced even though it didnt fall out. (The flexi light for example, bad design, now much improved).

The side door hitting the wheel arch is anoying and for this reason I would avoid the electric side door option.

Missing my Cali and picking it up tomorrow.

As you can see from my Avatar I'm not a Cali owner but my signature gives a lot away. I've been a avid VW owner for forty eight years and in the past twelve have owned four new or ex-demo Transporters that I have built into campers.
Most have had various niggling faults from a faulty Eberspacher (water version) on a T4 through many leaking sliding windows on T5s, a failed EGR valve and leaking rear door seal on the current vehicle. Plus a failed blower motor in the Eberspacher again on the current vehicle and failed water pump on a previous one, the latter two items being attributable to conversion parts not original VW parts.

None of this has put me off looking for a T6 for my next conversion, I read on other Motor Home forums about the faults that occur on new Motor Homes of all makes and sizes and can assure you that VW are probably one of the least troublesome especially in the base vehicle.

If anything lets the VW Marque down it is the dealer network but by no means all dealers, I have no problems with my local Van Centre at Shrewsbury but don't know how they respond to Cali specific problems, if anyone has experience of them Cali wise I would like to hear it.

Rod

As you can see from my Avatar I'm not a Cali owner but my signature gives a lot away. I've been a avid VW owner for forty eight years and in the past twelve have owned four new or ex-demo Transporters that I have built into campers.
Most have had various niggling faults from a faulty Eberspacher (water version) on a T4 through many leaking sliding windows on T5s, a failed EGR valve and leaking rear door seal on the current vehicle. Plus a failed blower motor in the Eberspacher again on the current vehicle and failed water pump on a previous one, the latter two items being attributable to conversion parts not original VW parts.

None of this has put me off looking for a T6 for my next conversion, I read on other Motor Home forums about the faults that occur on new Motor Homes of all makes and sizes and can assure you that VW are probably one of the least troublesome especially in the base vehicle.

If anything lets the VW Marque down it is the dealer network but by no means all dealers, I have no problems with my local Van Centre at Shrewsbury but don't know how they respond to Cali specific problems, if anyone has experience of them Cali wise I would like to hear it.

Rod
I was asking them (Shrewsbury VW van centre) yesterday about what they were comfortable about tackling on the Cali and apart from the gas installation and 230V electrics they will have a go at most things. There is a Cali hire centre in Telford and they have brought several vans to have their roofs repaired after careless operation so that is one aspect they are used to. They fitted new springs for me and they returned it in a very tidy condition. There is a VW body shop opposite too and I'm told they can replace my double glazed rear door glass if it mists up again. All the staff seem very keen to help and so far I can't fault them.

Trouble is people only tell you about the faults, we dont tend to start threads saying nothings gone wrong. Well I did last year but theres nothing to update it with despite a further 12000 miles on the clock.

Also as compared to other camper vans/conversions this website has probably got the largest concentration of users, hence if its ever gone wrong on a cali you will probably find a post about it in here.

If you wanted to find out what had gone wrong with a XYZ conversion where would you find the information?
You don't hear huge lists of problems with mercedes marco polo's because a. there are so few of them & b. theres no huge active community where all the problems are aired.

I was asking them (Shrewsbury VW van centre) yesterday about what they were comfortable about tackling on the Cali and apart from the gas installation and 230V electrics they will have a go at most things. There is a Cali hire centre in Telford and they have brought several vans to have their roofs repaired after careless operation so that is one aspect they are used to. They fitted new springs for me and they returned it in a very tidy condition. There is a VW body shop opposite too and I'm told they can replace my double glazed rear door glass if it mists up again. All the staff seem very keen to help and so far I can't fault them.

Thanks Keith. That sounds like the dealership that have done their best to help me in the past, ever since they took on the dealership in fact.

Rod

Back