Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 vs T6.1

Like some others I couldn't see any great improvement in a T6.1 over my T6, in fact more reasons not to.

Rumbling on issues with both the basic electronic Dash and the Cali only electronics.
Stripping back on DSG functions, Sport and Manual.
No footrest.
Possible loss of opening side windows.
Doors that can't be opened on frosty mornings from outside. Was a recall but latest info says this is on hold by VW.
Worry about RDE2 having issues especially with VW's track record on emissions.

I've got an MY21 T6.1 so just for clarity;
DSG still has manual function.
Opening side windows now on both sides (above sink and in sliding door).

From what I’m reading the 6.1 is here to stay for a few years yet and isn’t likely to change for another 3 or 4 years.

Reports in the German press say that the next-generation VW Transporter, called T7 for the seventh generation, will use VW Group’s MQB platform for passenger cars. The platform is not suitable for heavy loads so the current T6 will continue to be sold alongside the T7 for commercial users until Ford’s new version of the Transit is available to VW in 2024.

No word yet on whether the next California will be based on the Buzz or the Transit-based Transporter made by Ford inTurkey and sold by Volkswagen, but the current 6.1 ends production in Hannover this year, and will be continued to be made in Turkey by Ford until 2024.

Last edited:
In Turkey by Ford...???
Sad times.

Reports in the German press say that the next-generation VW Transporter, called T7 for the seventh generation, will use VW Group’s MQB platform for passenger cars. The platform is not suitable for heavy loads so the current T6 will continue to be sold alongside the T7 for commercial users until Ford’s new version of the Transit is available to VW in 2024.

No word yet on whether the next California will be based on the Buzz or the Transit-based Transporter made by Ford inTurkey and sold by Volkswagen, but the current 6.1 ends production in Hannover this year, and will be continued to be made in Turkey by Ford until 2024.

Great post. I couldn’t quite tell from what you’ve written though - does this mean that 2021 will be the last year of the Cali produced by VW in Germany?

Great post. I couldn’t quite tell from what you’ve written though - does this mean that 2021 will be the last year of the Cali produced by VW in Germany?
From what I can tell from these three articles, a large part of the Hannover Transporter plant has already been closed for remodeling to start producing the car-based small T7 in 2021 and the Buzz-based electric commercial van in 2022. According to the second article above, in 2022 production of the T6 will be taken over by Ford and moved to Turkey, where it will continue to be produced as a stop-gap until the new Ford Transit rebadged as a VW Transporter will begin production there in 2024.

As far as I know, there is so far no information about what vehicle the next California will be based on, but one can see the options: if the base vehicle is the electric Buzz it will be produced in Germany, but if it's based on the T6, it's likely to be made in Turkey by Ford and converted by VW in Germany. That anyway is the conclusion I come to by reading the VW press releases above.

The spy photos are of the new VW Sharan not the T7.

"Reports in the German press say that the next-generation VW Transporter, called T7 for the seventh generation, will use VW Group’s MQB platform for passenger cars. The platform is not suitable for heavy loads so the current T6 will continue to be sold alongside the T7 for commercial users until Ford’s new version of the Transit is available to VW in 2024."

Other links are in post #53.

Last edited:

"Reports in the German press say that the next-generation VW Transporter, called T7 for the seventh generation, will use VW Group’s MQB platform for passenger cars. The platform is not suitable for heavy loads so the current T6 will continue to be sold alongside the T7 for commercial users until Ford’s new version of the Transit is available to VW in 2024."

Other links are in post #53.
Very interesting and no doubt correct.
What I should have said is:
The spy photos are of the replacement for the VW Sharan and not the replacement for the T6.
Hopefully VW will reserve the T7 name for the joint VW/Ford van.

VW itself are promoting this Sharan type vehicle as being the 2022 T7. I think they are trying to create a distraction from the fact that most TX owners will not accept a Ford Transit as a replacement for the T6. Indeed, neither does VW. They are positioning the Buzz as the T6 replacement, but are very aware that part of their client base will not accept the range limitations of the electric van, so are hedging their bets by selling an ICE Ford under the VW name.

VW itself are promoting this Sharan type vehicle as being the 2022 T7. I think they are trying to create a distraction from the fact that most TX owners will not accept a Ford Transit as a replacement for the T6. Indeed, neither does VW. They are positioning the Buzz as the T6 replacement, but are very aware that part of their client base will not accept the range limitations of the electric van, so are hedging their bets by selling an ICE Ford under the VW name.
I agree. I doubt if I will want to replace our T6 with anything Ford have had a hand in making. Also any electric Cali would have to be at least as good as our current van on range and all other respects or there would be no strong incentive to change.

I agree. I doubt if I will want to replace our T6 with anything Ford have had a hand in making. Also any electric Cali would have to be at least as good as our current van on range and all other respects or there would be no strong incentive to change.
I think I’d accept 300 mile range if I could charge it with another 200 miles in 30 mins.
Tesla charge times

I think I’d accept 300 mile range if I could charge it with another 200 miles in 30 mins.
Tesla charge times
The problem for some of us is, can you recharge it in the middle of the mountains when the nearest town is 50-75km away. Or 100km. I think this can be solved, but it may take a couple of years.

I think the new VW/Ford joint venture van will be a world beater. Presumably VW will have as much say in the design as Ford. We also know that VW are not perfect and if both companies put the resources in to the venture it should be a great replacement for the T6. I for one am looking forward to a California based on it.

The problem for some of us is, can you recharge it in the middle of the mountains when the nearest town is 50-75km away. Or 100km. I think this can be solved, but it may take a couple of years.
I have a California and a Caravelle.
I drive the Caravelle from Cherbourg to Perpignan and back again each year so that the car spends six months in France.
I pondered ordering a fully electric VW or Peugeot seven seater for our annual French visit.
On the way down and back we stay in a fabulous hotel in Sainte which has eight Tesla Superchargers. I have researched charging points in the area of Sainte for a non-Tesla and none of them are in hotels and half of them are regularly out of operation. It makes the electric alternative a non-starter unless it is a Tesla.
Tesla had the right strategy all along.

Hi Guys n Gals
Any T6 ocean owners out there sold there T6 to upgrade to 6.1, or anyone considering the upgrade?
If so, please let us know what you like and what you dislike about the 6.1 and why you would change or why you would stay with your T6.

I was all for upgrading but not too sure again and was curious to hear other peoples thoughts as well.

Thanks
I take exception to the use of the term "upgrade". :)

@andyinluton i wasn’t sure about the DSG box to begin with.
However, it’s won me over. I think it’s brilliant. Has a few annoyances, but overall it’s worth having.

I must add. Ticking the 204 or 199, whatever it is now. I would also spec 4motion.
One of the quirks the DSG has with my 2wd van, is pulling away. There’s almost to much power. I often have the wheels spinning, especially in damp conditions and also find there’s less traction off road compared to a manual gearbox
Some may say that nonsense. But you definitely have more control off-road and slippery surfaces with a manual gearbox.
Hence, why going forward it could only be 4 motion for me.
Would definitely have gone all wheel drive if it had been an option in our case.

I think the new VW/Ford joint venture van will be a world beater. Presumably VW will have as much say in the design as Ford. We also know that VW are not perfect and if both companies put the resources in to the venture it should be a great replacement for the T6. I for one am looking forward to a California based on it.
Well my reservations may well turn out to be ill founded, but over the years my experience of Ford is that whilst they have made some fine vehicles, they have a long history of shaving costs down to the bone. I think they were the first to stop applying paint under the bonnet.

Also having purchased many VWs, not only have they always been well engineered but their anti corrosion measures have always been far superior to anything Ford has provided. Remember the days when every VW came with wax dripping out of every box section. Even the engines were wax coated. Ford at that time did very little to protect their vehicles. Several trips around the then huge Ford plant at Dagenham did nothing but reinforce my views. Compare any T4 with a Transit of the same era and the chances are that the Ford, if you can find one, will be well effected by tin worm in comparison.

Now obviously things have moved on alot since those days and the gap in build quality may well have narrowed considerably but my fear is that any collaboration between Ford and VW will be aimed at spreading costs and utilising Fords long founded expertise at bean counting. After all they started it all with their Model T.

Last edited:
I hope this will not be like the quality hit that MB took when they teamed up with Chrysler.

Some of the ‘improvements’ are clearly cost savings.
For me reliability and availability are most important. The dealers are mostly hopeless at fixing electrical faults in my experience. The VW habitation electronics don’t seem to have a good track record. If buying again I would minimise the electronics, so I’d get a T6 and probably opt for a manual roof, so probably a coast. I would not want the time bomb of an electronic VW dash either.
I like that answer. Coast being delivered on Friday. No electronic “virtual dash” manual roof. Manual door. Bog standard stereo. I’m a bit old fashioned in that I normally look at the road when I’m driving. I don’t want the Starship Enterprise

I like that answer. Coast being delivered on Friday. No electronic “virtual dash” manual roof. Manual door. Bog standard stereo. I’m a bit old fashioned in that I normally look at the road when I’m driving. I don’t want the Starship Enterprise
Can’t argue with that; and not just with VW. Chatting to a mate last week he was fuming with the BMW dealer and prepping for a fight with them over the threatened 5.5k bill for investigating a sat nav fault which remains unresolved; showed the car as randomly being in Africa. Not an overly flash car, a 5 series not new. My first question was why not just use sat nav through the phone; which he said he would be very happy to do but that the sat nav linked in to the head up display and caused havoc with the displayed speed limits etc. A cautionary tale, go figure..

Ford really f'ed up Aston Martin, so I don't see it being any different if they slap a VW badge on the front.

Thank you!!! Glad I'm not alone. I hope you didn't spec ACC :)

Ford really f'ed up Aston Martin, so I don't see it being any different if they slap a VW badge on the front.

Thank you!!! Glad I'm not alone. I hope you didn't spec ACC :)
ACC is standard. Is there a problem with it. My SE had normal CC and it always bugged me that I had to keep knocking it off or slowing it down.
Surely ACC is better?

We have a t6.1 ocean and although there have been some teething issues (although nothing major) its a brilliant vehicle to cover miles in and camp in at the end.

ACC combined with dsg is incredible, literally zero problems with ours in the first 5000 miles, blind spot assist is so useful and im happy to eat my words on this as I wouldn't have specified it if if wasn't part of the standard ocean. Add to this virtual cockpit and it makes for a very modern / relaxing driving experience with the added bonus being we often approach 40mpg on runs. The only thing we have used is the self park feature but then the camera / radar is so good I just haven't had the need for it yet

When camping we can unlock the the van with our phone, the new CCU allows cool stuff like outside lights and stuff to be disabled so you don't annoy the campsite. Lounge function it very useful, the upstairs bed in now super comfy with the new base and the bellows are more practical in a thicker darker material.

I get that its just an evolution of the t6 and it still isn't perfect but I wouldn't write off the upgrades as minor if you look at the whole experience. That said I'm glad we got an my20 with the sport mode dsg and double sliding windows etc. etc.

Back