Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 VW bike rack arm brackets that connect to van

Melanie Day

Melanie Day

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 102
Hello

Does anyone know if there is a spare part for the black plastic brackets that connect from the bike rack to the van?

We have contacted VW with a warranty issue with a problem of rusting on this part.

VW say if we can find a spare part they will buy it - they tell us that they don't have any VW spare parts for it.

We are wondering if the Thule Wanderway spare parts will fit the VW bike rack??

ThanksIMG-20220517-WA0001.jpgIMG-20220517-WA0003.jpgIMG-20220518-WA0000.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Asking you to find the spare part??

Staggeringly lazy response from your dealer. They'll have access to much more info than you do.

If it's rusted within the warranty period and this has not been caused by neglect or damage then they should replace the whole bike rack.

Sounds like another dealer living the high life. Getting their customers to fix their own problems. Good one

Hi,

The bike rack is out of warranty period so guessing they are trying to find a solution without having to fork out for a whole rack.

We are saying it's not for for purpose given that it has been looked after, cleaned well and not used much.

I am thinking they may offer us a % off new bike rack but that's not really what we want as it will cost us.

Could you sand the affected area, mask the bracket and respray it with a rattle can?

That's probably the easiest and cheapest DIY fix.

Isn't the VW branded bike rack made by Thule anyways? I know the factory fitted Awning is and it does look very similar. Worth getting in touch with Thule customer services perhaps?

Isn't the VW branded bike rack made by Thule anyways? I know the factory fitted Awning is and it does look very similar. Worth getting in touch with Thule customer services perhaps?
Thule said it looks similar to their Wanderway and said they made bike racks for others but didn't confirm it was the same.

To be honest it's the leg work i expect VW should be able to do but they don't seem that forthcoming!

Could you sand the affected area, mask the bracket and respray it with a rattle can?

That's probably the easiest and cheapest DIY fix.
Think I’d go this way based on what’s been mentioned so far.
I just bought a used rack from the forum, stripped it and got it anodised (not got it back yet). But that bracket/plate is simple to get off, which would make it easier to respray

Think I’d go this way based on what’s been mentioned so far.
I just bought a used rack from the forum, stripped it and got it anodised (not got it back yet). But that bracket/plate is simple to get off, which would make it easier to respray
It's plastic coated to not damage the paintwork so not sure if anodising it would protect the paint work in the same way.

It's plastic coated to not damage the paintwork so not sure if anodising it would protect the paint work in the same way.

That part is steel, so I’m not getting that part anodised. Yours should be the same as mine, with a rubber part on the underside to protect the paintwork. That comes off if I remember correctly. I’ll have a look in the morning and post some photos if that helps?

That part is steel, so I’m not getting that part anodised. Yours should be the same as mine, with a rubber part on the underside to protect the paintwork. That comes off if I remember correctly. I’ll have a look in the morning and post some photos if that helps?
That would be great if you can - is yours VW version or the Thule version?

Thanks

That would be great if you can - is yours VW version or the Thule version?

Thanks

VW, same model as yours. It’s the top bracket that clips to the top of the tailgate that you have the issue with isn’t it? (Just making sure)

VW, same model as yours. It’s the top bracket that clips to the top of the tailgate that you have the issue with isn’t it? (Just making sure)
Yes that's the one. Thanks

Yes that's the one. Thanks

So according to my other half ....
This image shows there is a rubberised coating on the bracket which is blistered. The part which touches the van and grips on is coated in rubberised plastic.

So wondering if ours are the same - we have t6 version.PXL_20220518_201726872.jpg

The suspense was getting to me so I went and had a look. I think it’s correct that it’s covered in a rubberised paint. It’s not thick at all but as you can see in one of the photos, the edge has started to come off on mine. The photo I’m pointing in is showing the rubber part that I was talking about. There’s another photo showing that it is a Thule part. Im
Pretty sure that if you stripped the blistered area and repainted and then made sure you have PPF tape/patches where the bracket touches the tailgate then you won’t have an issue?
D7E63DE5-DE47-44EA-BA87-001F74C3AE5C.jpeg66C45795-2DEE-4D9E-8474-9C7764B5B8A4.jpegB058CEA1-5EA2-4F2A-A4A6-BAE46C989E1E.jpeg