Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T7 Spyshots.

5G hotspot is standard on the new Nugget. 350w optional solar panel on the roof. PHEV and all wheel drive options coming too.

I feel that the new Nugget is going to be a really serious competitor to the Cali.

It actually looks cool too.
The interior shots I’ve seen, don’t disappoint either.
Massive step up from Ford.

Dunno which thread I should place this on …….. in all cases (VW or Ford) the reality is just SO different from all the hyped up marketing! These ‘show’ vehicles are a bit like Supermodels……. Beautiful to look at but not really practical! I can’t imagine always having the roof up to have a brew for example, or standing outside to cook.

Campervans are deffo a compromise, I get that. But there are limits! (rant over :D )

5G hotspot is standard on the new Nugget. 350w optional solar panel on the roof. PHEV and all wheel drive options coming too.

I feel that the new Nugget is going to be a really serious competitor to the Cali.

TBH I find them apples and pears due to the very different layouts. Before we got ours we looked at every layout under the sun and found, for us, that all that deviated from the VW were hampered in one way or another. In the end we went with a layout that felt like a careful evolution rather than a revolution.

Another video (on the same mountain as earlier):

Embargo must have listed, the videos are coming. Here’s another

First impressions a bit style over practicality and storage looks pretty limited.
Old gits prefer rocker switches and rotary dials to iPhone connectivity. However the t7 is lovely.

Embargo must have listed, the videos are coming. Here’s another

First impressions a bit style over practicality and storage looks pretty limited.
Note to VW, get short people to do the review videos!

Another video (on the same mountain as earlier):

Yeah, the journos would have all been flown out to the same place to do their reviews. We used to do this with all car launches, usually an hour outside Barca as the driving and shots amazing and invite out a few dozen specially picked players to come and do sneak peek reviews. They get a mini holiday, party and treat like royalty. Helps with positive reviews.

Yeah, the journos would have all been flown out to the same place to do their reviews. We used to do this will all car launches, usually an hour outside Barca as the driving and shots amazing and invite out a few dozen specially picked players to come and do sneak peek reviews.
And no Ewan MacGregor in sight. Winning!!:thumb

Some nice interior design details, a very functional lounge area, I like the inside/outside kitchen and I’m sure it'll drive nicely. However I’m struggling to get past the exterior looks and the compromised living space due to the lower roof height.

I think it’ll find its market as a daily + summer weekend camper.

Some nice interior design details, a very functional lounge area, I like the inside/outside kitchen and I’m sure it'll drive nicely. However I’m struggling to get past the exterior looks and the compromised living space due to the lower roof height.

I think it’ll find its market as a daily + summer weekend camper.
Technically it is the same height, more or less, but it looks like the floor is higher and due to a narrowing of the sides makes it look shorter.

Technically it is the same height, more or less, but it looks like the floor is higher and due to a narrowing of the sides makes it look shorter.

There doesn’t appear to be any headroom under the tailgate and I guess the similar height to the T6 is down to the bigger pop top roof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There doesn’t appear to be any headroom under the tailgate and I guess the similar height to the T6 is down to the bigger pop top roof?

I’m more going off the height measurements shown on the screen and on the LWB itself - about 2 cm in it. Saw the boot was low, but could be the hinge location or the depth of the pockets for the seats. Ultimately though the interior height is compromised somewhat with a higher floor but to be fair we always have our roof up and open when using. The bigger challenge I’d say is the missing 20cm width and about the same inside lengthways. This is in keeping with the LWB - it’s just a bit smaller all round, especially with the raked windscreen.

For me, the van based Cali (4/5/6) is too small for comfortable camping in poor weather. Many seem to share the opinion and 1st purchase is a drive away awning. A couple of years of that and then the search for a fixed toilet and standing room starts and they buy a Grand Cali or a Ducato based van.
It splits opinion when I say a Cali only makes sense as a holiday vehicle if it is used regularly as a 2nd or 1st Car in the family fleet. If it's not used like that and has to sit idle waiting for holiday time, you might as well have something bigger sat there that will be better for camping.
So any complaints that the new T7/Multivan Cali is too small / too car like falls on deaf ears to me. It was already too small for comfortable camping and too big / van like for optimum use as a daily driver. I therefore think it's gone in the right direction. I'm off to invest in Vango shares.

For me, the van based Cali (4/5/6) is too small for comfortable camping in poor weather. Many seem to share the opinion and 1st purchase is a drive away awning. A couple of years of that and then the search for a fixed toilet and standing room starts and they buy a Grand Cali or a Ducato based van.
It splits opinion when I say a Cali only makes sense as a holiday vehicle if it is used regularly as a 2nd or 1st Car in the family fleet. If it's not used like that and has to sit idle waiting for holiday time, you might as well have something bigger sat there that will be better for camping.
So any complaints that the new T7/Multivan Cali is too small / too car like falls on deaf ears to me. It was already too small for comfortable camping and too big / van like for optimum use as a daily driver. I therefore think it's gone in the right direction. I'm off to invest in Vango shares.

Whilst I agree with all of that I’d add that for many the Cali is a daily + a lifestyle vehicle (surfing, biking a base for hiking etc) and it’s van underpinnings and the myriad of ways you can customise make it perfect for that. Even now and well into my 6th decade I still avoid big campsites and weather is just a clothing choice. I’m sure I’m not alone and that’s a sector this Cali version serves less well. I suspect the T5/6 will go on to occupy the same cult status that the Splities and Vanagons do.

TBH I find them apples and pears due to the very different layouts. Before we got ours we looked at every layout under the sun and found, for us, that all that deviated from the VW were hampered in one way or another. In the end we went with a layout that felt like a careful evolution rather than a revolution.
I don’t think the nugget lay-out is really a revolution. The Nugget lay-out has been used on Ford vehicles since 1985…

Also good video below.

Looks like only downside is that it now only has a single sliding door…stolen a few ideas from the Cali - chair boot storage, sliding door table stowage, roller blinds & no carpet trim stuck on the walls!

Can’t wait to see the VW offering, as needs to be good!

Table storage in the door and chairs in the tailgate, who’d have thought of that!
Joking aside, the ere are some nice upgrades. Looking at the hot water as standard, the new style blinds and factory solar panels etc, it’s almost as if Ford have been reading the VW forums. Pity that VW don’t.

It’s interesting…

Dare I say I liked the inside, looked like some clever cool stuff on the kitchen units.
Hate the outside look, but wasn’t a fan of the joker from outside or the front of T6.1.
Always said it’s others that see the outside and once I’ve stopped I look at nature and not van.
Still toying with a Ford trail self build as next van.

I’m starting to change my mind and expect they will sell a few, but starting at £70k the concept of campervanning is for the rich it seems.
Campervans use to be the cheap ones compared to motorhomes (not anymore).

Seeing the concept now on youtube in IRL. I must say I was against it.
I realy disliked it.
But from the inside and in this color sceme it looks smart.
I know it still probably is far from what it would be. But I am a fan.
I was already started a few day's ago to look at others since I was not a fan at First (The new Ford was one wich had my attention).

I don’t think the nugget lay-out is really a revolution. The Nugget lay-out has been used on Ford vehicles since 1985…
I meant a revolution compared to the classic VW layout… There are quite a few makes now with the kitchen at the back scenario, but it’s not for us I’m afraid.

Dare I say I liked the inside, looked like some clever cool stuff on the kitchen units.
Hate the outside look, but wasn’t a fan of the joker from outside or the front of T6.1.
Always said it’s others that see the outside and once I’ve stopped I look at nature and not van.
Still toying with a Ford trail self build as next van.

I’m starting to change my mind and expect they will sell a few, but starting at £70k the concept of campervanning is for the rich it seems.
Campervans use to be the cheap ones compared to motorhomes (not anymore).

Well done, you’ve spotted the elephant in the room. Price.
If Volkswagen say £70k, by the time it hits the road, let’s call it £85-£90k.

All the years I had vans, they were a similar price to a nice family car. Now they’re far more expensive.
To a point, it no longer makes sense for the compact camper. Better off with a MWB van and a nice estate car to run alongside.

You know what… I love this. Would be very tempted to trade in our 2022 for this. Expect some of the more concept elements (all that space wasted for wooden cup holders) with be gone though, which is probably more useful for more people.

Lots of interesting tweeks with some high quality touches here and there. The exterior looks a litte better in that dual colour scheme with shiny metal waist band but it's still isn't a looker. As for the interior, it's clear that a lot of thought has been put into this concept vehicle's design. I particularly like the fact that the front passenger now has leg room when the seat is turned and the drivers seat on this LHD version appears to turn without all the issues associated with the T6/T6-1 seat turning ritual.

Despite all the changes, it appears to still have the same fragile picnic chairs.

Will the detachable awning rail be a good thing I wonder? I suppose it depends on the method of securing it to the vehicle. If it isn't fool proof then I can see these things getting swiped.

IF it's narrower then has that changed the bed widths?

Nice to see a 2litre diesel still proposed on the engine options.

Having said all this, it's still only a concept vehicle and almost certainly won't be like this when/if it arrives in UK showrooms.

Last edited: