Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T7 Spyshots.

Well, the so-called 'New California' no longer has the same foundation, and as a result, it lacks the character of a true campervan. It has lost much of its charm compared to the previous California. The 'Cali-DNA' is virtually nonexistent. The only thing it shares with its predecessor is the name.

I expect that a lot of people will compare the "new California" with the alternatives available from Ford and other VW Transporter converters (Westfalia, Knaus etc.). when looking to buy a true campervan.
There is only 1 vehicle manufacturer that makes and sells Campervans and that is VW.
All other campervans are 3rd Party Conversions.
Only 1 vehicle manufacturer that offers a 1 stop warranty for the whole vehicle, VW.

There is only 1 vehicle manufacturer that makes and sells Campervans and that is VW.
All other campervans are 3rd Party Conversions.
Only 1 vehicle manufacturer that offers a 1 stop warranty for the whole vehicle, VW.
Well imho, VW made campervans in the past, but since June this year they stopped doing that. They now make only Campers (Grand California) and MPV based camping cars (the "new California").
All others, especially Westfalia, specialize in converting vans into true Campervans, and I'm all most sure they will make a VW Transporter t7 conversion as well, an market it with great success...

I think it's a pity VW took the wrong turn with the Multivan based California...
The only USP VW has is indeed the one-stop warranty.... but that's all...

The new Nugget has far more and cleverer storage space than the new Cali and that was always something the Cali was famous for.

They also gave the new Nugget the Cali-like chairs in the boot door as well as retaining a 3 seat bench! The new Cali doesn't even retain the old 2 seat bench - so on balance, the new Nugget does indeed seem more Cali-like and is a FAR worthier beast for a week or two camping, especially if taking children.

The new Cali seems to be catering more for the more affluent weekend campers or festival-goers rather than families as they always did previously. The new Nugget will now take that crown, I'm quite sure. The 330 watts solar roof and hybrid V2L 240v plug option so no EHU needed, is a massive step forwards that the Cali also seems to be missing.

It's a no-contest IMO.
I’m not a fan of the new Cali.

But I hate the Nugget layout.

So. What we call a sh1t sandwich.

Well imho, VW made campervans in the past, but since June this year they stopped doing that. They now make only Campers (Grand California) and MPV based camping cars (the "new California").
All others, especially Westfalia, specialize in converting vans into true Campervans, and I'm all most sure they will make a VW Transporter t7 conversion as well, an market it with great success...

I think it's a pity VW took the wrong turn with the Multivan based California...
The only USP VW has is indeed the one-stop warranty.... but that's all...
That is your opinion, VW obviously disagree. Only time will tell. But only VW will continue with the California.

Obviously you are not the market demographic that VW are interested in so I very much doubt if they will be losing any sleep over your comments.
Clearly not listening to the diehard Californarati or they would have gone a different route. They should have killed the Caddy Cali (I've yet to see one in the wild) and offered the Sharavan and a proper California with 2 burners and proper storage. That would have been a wonderful Caliverse.

Informative video, definitely Ford engines though and still confusion over the T7 name allocation.
I think they are right in their assumptions that neither Ford or VW are going to be explicit about issues with the Ford wet belt system but that also they would be mad to have not ‘fixed’ it in the new version.

We will shortly have new forum members on here with the new california. Are we going to start telling them their new California is crap, etc? Hardly welcoming. It will never be anywhere near close to crap. In fact it looks superior in quite a few areas. Agreed, storage is much reduced maybe one or two of the changes are not to everyones liking.

To say it isn't a campervan because it's an mpv is a bit fatuous. It's larger than most if VWs iterations of their campervan.

I don't subscribe to the whole VW or nothing fanboy thing. I love our Beach but wouldn't buy the new one based on the Multivan. If VW based one on the transporter I'd probably be interested when time for s change comes.

I've watched a few videos on the Nugget recently and I'm impressed by it. I think VW has serious competition.

I think they are right in their assumptions that neither Ford or VW are going to be explicit about issues with the Ford wet belt system but that also they would be mad to have not ‘fixed’ it in the new version.
The wet belt is still there and I suspect the problem it causes as well, but this is only true for the diesel engine. Wouldn't you opt for the petrol or petrol/hybrid engine?

We will shortly have new forum members on here with the new california. Are we going to start telling them their new California is crap, etc? Hardly welcoming. It will never be anywhere near close to crap. In fact it looks superior in quite a few areas. Agreed, storage is much reduced maybe one or two of the changes are not to everyones liking.

To say it isn't a campervan because it's an mpv is a bit fatuous. It's larger than most if VWs iterations of their campervan.

Looks great for 2 + 1 people, but for me it’s not a Cali as it’s not a Campervan, it’s a compromise to gain sales until the real VW/Ford T7 is available.

Externally, no argument there. Internally it's a different story. The beds will be nightmare for the average plus sized family of 4.
Given 80% of Cali owners we see are couples, I’d say it’s more likely they looked at the actual people buying their vehicles and focused on their needs. We are three and it’s tight. I’d hate to see the average plus sized family squeeze into the 6.1, never mind the new one. We’ll be upgrading to something other than VW come the day.

Can’t wait to welcome new owners to the forum personally.

Can’t wait to welcome new owners to the forum personally.
For sure. I want to hear how owners are making it work for them in the real world. I'm guessing the kids and dog will staying at home ;) :Grin

I note that there is only one pillow in the pic. So probably expecting people to sleep one up, one down. No nightime cuddles in the future, shame!

I note that there is only one pillow in the pic. So probably expecting people to sleep one up, one down. No nightime cuddles in the future, shame!
Probably has one pillow because the bed size closer to a single than a double!