Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T7 Spyshots.

You’ve already missed the boat.
T5.1 was the last of decent Volkswagen build and reliability…
Technically speaking T5.1 with a 1.9 TDI. The 2.5 is known to have its share of issues that can be just as bad as later 2.0 biturbo.

Last decent van was a T4.2 151ps. They are more expensive than the T5s at times.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Isn't the 1.9TDI a true oil burner? I mean lots of oil!

Isn't the 1.9TDI a true oil burner? I mean lots of oil!
No, the 1.9 is a reliable lump that as long as you feed it the correct spec oil runs forever.

Now the older 1.9/2.5 that is VE pump injected (T4) can run on any oil, so it's a true oil burner.

Technically speaking T5.1 with a 1.9 TDI. The 2.5 is known to have its share of issues that can be just as bad as later 2.0 biturbo.

Last decent van was a T4.2 151ps. They are more expensive than the T5s at times.

The T5.1 came with a 2.0 common rail diesel (CR) engine with 5 different power outputs, 84, 102, 115, 140 and 180bhp formats, no 1.9 TDI. All but the 180 bi-turbo have a great reputation for reliability. The confusion comes from only the German second hand market using (very logically!) T5.1 and T5.2 instead of T5 and T5.1. Most of the world knows the T5.1 as the facelift model from 2010.

Last edited:
The T5. 1 came with a 2.0 common rail diesel (CR) engine with 5 different power outputs, 84, 102, 115, 140 and 180bhp formats, no 1.9 TDI. All but the 180 bi-turbo have a great reputation for reliability.

Entschuldigung, but I am from the homeland and we call the T5.2 with the 2L.

Guten Tag! Wie Gehts?

There are plenty of Blasebalg on this site with bees in their bonnets! I hope you are not a sail maker!

Edited my post above to explain the German model numbers.

There are plenty of Blasebalg on this site with bees in their bonnets! I hope you are not a sail maker!
Not here, my buddy has 5 of these new Beaches and 3 Ocean sitting with the roof open since April.... I told him to check the roofs for leaking and he laughed.

My Beach didn't ever leak, not even in Salzburg at the end of May when Southern Germany drowned!

Had the T4 88bhp motor, remapped to 150bhp.
Pretty decent motor.
Had the T5 130bhp diesel, killed itself in year 4 at 38k miles.
Had the T5.1 140bhp, peach of an engine. 100% reliable in the 6 years I owned.
Then the T6 180bhp bi-turbo. Great power, not so reliable as stated above.

Pick of the bunch for me, was the T5.1.

Most fun, probably the T4.
Can you spot the gear stick mod and a friend acquired out some Jaguar leather … ;)IMG_5201.jpeg

Had the T4 88bhp motor, remapped to 150bhp.
Pretty decent motor.
Had the T5 130bhp diesel, killed itself in year 4 at 38k miles.
Had the T5.1 140bhp, peach of an engine. 100% reliable in the 6 years I owned.
Then the T6 180bhp bi-turbo. Great power, not so reliable as stated above.

Pick of the bunch for me, was the T5.1.

Isn’t the issue with engine reliability intrinsically linked to the efforts to reduce harmful emissions? Remove the DPF, stop start and Adblue technologies and I’m sure the modern diesels will be just as reliable as they were in the T4/T5 (accepting that bi-turbo models add extra complexity & failure point)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn’t the issue with engine reliability intrinsically linked to the efforts to reduce harmful emissions? Remove the DPF, stop start and Adblue technologies and I’m sure the modern diesels will be just as reliable as they were in the T4/T5 (accepting that bi-turbo models add an extra fail point)?

You are mostly correct, but there is a variable that is usually the person behind the wheel... The new TDI are quite good actually, aside from emissions gremlins which end up killing turbos etc.

In Germany you call vauxhalls opels but they are the same
No such things... Opel was in the past a real company with Vauxhall just something the Brits came up with. It was sold as Opel in all of Europe, South Merica, Africa etc. These days they are rebadged Peugeots, Opel is about as alive as Lancia.

Isn’t the issue with engine reliability intrinsically linked to the efforts to reduce harmful emissions? Remove the DPF, stop start and Adblue technologies and I’m sure the modern diesels will be just as reliable as they were in the T4/T5 (accepting that bi-turbo models add extra complexity & failure point)?

100%.
That and cost cutting. I believe makers decided to cut costs and cover just beyond the warranty period. After that, it’s no longer a manufacturer problem.

100%.
That and cost cutting. I believe makers decided to cut costs and cover just beyond the warranty period. After that, it’s no longer a manufacturer problem.

Just look at the roof bellow saga.
They were fine for years and now they leak…

No such things... Opel was in the past a real company with Vauxhall just something the Brits came up with. It was sold as Opel in all of Europe, South Merica, Africa etc. These days they are rebadged Peugeots, Opel is about as alive as Lancia.

Peugeot is dead as well, welcome Stellantis!