Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T7 Spyshots.

@dspuk EHU & water are on the left side probably.

This weekend VW might reveal it at Camper Salon Dusseldorf, tempted to go there as it's less then 1,5 hrs away from here.
Agreed - think I spotted a EHU flap, in which case this is a potential Beach. Roof hideous.

All press so far say the reveal is at the show on the 25th…

Well I'm not sure it's going to be a grower.

The rear reminds me of one of those ugly far eastern imports.

The side looks akin to a Mercedes offering which IMO have never looked that great compared to the T6.

The front is just plain weird. Ever since the first photos were published, I have found that front windscreen pilar arrangement very awkward and I suspect problematical in actual use. Instead of one pilar restricting vision, there are now two!

From my perspective, it really isn't a thing of beauty and looks like it's been designed by a committee. The T6 will take a lot of beating and this incarnation isn't the one to do that. The T6 was a perfect example of minimalistic but stylish design with the emphasis on function over form.

The ultimate Litmus test will be if the hoards of VW enthusiasts eventually start to adopt it.

Last edited:
Agreed - think I spotted a EHU flap, in which case this is a potential Beach. Roof hideous.

All press so far say the reveal is at the show on the 25th…
The Motor1 report says what will be revealed is a 'concept' vehicle. Maybe VW want to test the waters before committing to a final production version. I don't think they are going to be happy with the reception. Pitchforks are being sharpened........

The Motor1 report says what will be revealed is a 'concept' vehicle. Maybe VW want to test the waters before committing to a final production version. I don't think they are going to be happy with the reception. Pitchforks are being sharpened........
Someone should hose down the pop-roof at the show for half an hour to "test the waters" on the T7 bellows . . .

Every reiteration of the Transporter, and hence California, has been met with derision. If you want a new California, whether it be 2 berth or 4, Beach or Ocean, you'll have no option.
The Multivan is such a huge departure from what has gone before its going to be a tougher transition/sell than previous generations. At the very least it will be interesting to follow from the side lines.

The Motor1 report also says the 2 powertrain options are a 150HP diesel and 204HP petrol. No mention of hybrid or 4motion.

Every reiteration of the Transporter, and hence California, has been met with derision. If you want a new California, whether it be 2 berth or 4, Beach or Ocean, you'll have no option.
It will be interesting to see the sales figures.

I think the conversion companies will be using the T van whatever Ford/vw collab isn’t going to be as bad as that thing.
Lots of choice out there and people won’t want a Cali if that’s the replacement imo!

Luckily the new Cali will be revealed this weekend so we won't have to speculate that long ;)

Luckily the new Cali will be revealed this weekend so we won't have to speculate that long ;)
There will be lots to speculate on if its not a final production version and just a concept. Remember the original ID Buzz concept?

I just watched this.
Johnny does a great job in his videos.
Makes a lot of sense this car compared to the usual school mum drives.
I wish Volkswagen had used this rail system in the Buzz.
Good video.

However "it's not a van, it's a car" and yet it's called a Multivan?

So who will buy it?

Just my thoughts but I am doubtful if it will appeal to the typical Transporter van enthusiast. The appeal there has always been to put ones stamp on what is basically a builders van. Yes, the fully finnished top of the range California and Caravelle models are fancy factory built T products but underneath they are still only bog standard vans with knobs on that pander to the same yearnings.

I suspect that this vehicle will appeal to a completely different group of buyers. Owners without that difficult to quantify passion for these previous T series models. VW have traded on that passion for decades and as a result their products have sold well. Unfortunately, the latest generation of VW vehicles don't appear to be selling that well at all with some production facilities being temporarily shut down and workers being given extended breaks although I believe this mainly applies to EV production. I don't know the reasons but I did read that VW have put it down to a reluctance on the part of customers to commit to the latest generation of cars but mainly EVs.

Has this vehicle been produced to appeal to those buyers that would have previously owned a Sharan or similar? If that is the market sector VW are aiming at then that's curious if as stated, that type of vehicle had fallen out of favour.

I am confused about VW's model policy. If this is the T7 then what will replace the Transporter range? If it is going to be the much hinted at Turkish built Ford/VW product then what will that be called?

Just my opinion but VW seem to have lost their way of late.

Last edited:
I am confused about VW's model policy. If this is the T7 then what will replace the Transporter range? If it is going to be the much hinted at Turkish built Ford/VW product then what will that be called?

Just my opinion but VW seem to have lost their way of late.
Internally VW do not refer to 'Der Multivan' as a T7. Its just marketing people (who dearly want the Mulitvan Cali to be a true successor to the T heritage for obvious reasons... but its not), the Press and Social Media who have tagged it the T7.
You just have to look at the official marketing material in Europe and there is no reference to T7 anywhere. I believe the VW is saving the T7 moniker for the true transporter based successor which is likely to be the Ford/VW collaboration. The Multivan is a car with an MPV skin and adaptations for habitation.
And I totally agree, VW Group have lost the plot somewhat in recent years. And a finger can certainly be pointed at the transition away from ICE and the uncertain future for BEV. The idea of a California Universe is not doing the brand any favours either.

You just have to look at the official marketing material in Europe and there is no reference to T7 anywhere. I believe the VW is saving the T7 moniker for the true transporter based successor which is likely to be the Ford/VW collaboration. The Multivan is a car with an MPV skin and adaptations for habitation.
Well that makes more sense.

I love the number plate. Maybe it a clue on what they will call it. Presenting the new VW BS campervan!

The front shot showed an awning on both sides, most importantly its pretty clear that its a different roof bellows!

There is something cringy about VW's new model releases. I just don't get the hoopla around a CONCEPT vehicle, unless its really the new models name. Or perhaps they are giving themselves an exit......to save face.
I really hope they spare us Ewan McGregor. He attended Busfest for the LWB ID Buzz unveiling and lets just say he was phoning it in.

Looks like it has an interior wardrobe setup like the Ocean

If the Ford/vw T7 gets same design team as the Ford trail then I think the vw community will like it.
I know this is the bigger van but looks cool imo
IMG_5147.png