Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate internal catch?

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
We're in the process of sourcing (or trying to!) a T5 Cali to replace our T4 Cali.

One of our favourite features of our current van is the ability to pop open the tailgate from inside.
We sleep downstairs/heads to the tailgate. In warm sunny weather you can't beat lying in bed with morning coffee and popping open the tail to let the sun stream in.

I've never looked, does the T5 have this crucial feature?

S.

No such luxury im afraid lol

I would love that option. It gets a bit stuffy at the back when all the air sources are at the front.

Our T5.1 Kombi had an opening switch on the inside of the tailgate but of course the chairs in the tailgate on the Cali get rid of the flat panel that the switch was mounted on, so the "internal gubbins " are available all that's needed is a relocation of the switch.

On the T4 it's not a handle as such, simply an access hole in the door card that allows the catch to be popped.
Surely a safety feature?

The T5 chairs are obvs an issue but is there not a grommet somewhere that needs removing?

On the T4 it's not a handle as such, simply an access hole in the door card that allows the catch to be popped.

Mine has a proper handle, but I have the full caravelle trim, so maybe that is why.

The bigger problem is that without central locking, I have to get up, walk around the back to the van, unlock the door, then got back to bed to find I still can't open the door as we sleep upstairs :)

Ooooh get you with your Caravelle trim…..!

I've not tried it but I suspect the catch will release regardless of lock state? I'll try it later.

I would love that option. It gets a bit stuffy at the back when all the air sources are at the front.
Look at the Brandrup brochure for the Air-safe tailgate hook. Allows the tailgate to be locked opened by 10cm to allow airflow into the Cali.

Ah, strong work.

Sounds like it needs a little servo motor/rod/linkage thingy designing ;)

Are Cali rear lids not of the electric power latching type? If so then as someone above has said all you need is to fit a relocated switch (away from the seat stowage) to open the lid. The basic window van with a power latching rear lid certainly only has a switch on the inside, I've owned one like that.

I think I can find wiring diagrams if anyone wants them.

Rod

Back