Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where do you put it?

G

Geezso

Vehicle
N/A
After searching both online and on forum. As well as trying myself. I need to know where everyone puts their stuff?

For example my Cali Topper fits in with one of the tailgate deck chairs and the other one could house my hook up and exterior window cover.

I know we aim to take only what we need but with our first trip in two days some examples would be great to help me pack tomorrow.

I like the idea of small boxes in the cupboard to hold plates etc together whilst driving.

All ideas welcomed :)

After searching both online and on forum. As well as trying myself. I need to know where everyone puts their stuff?

For example my Cali Topper fits in with one of the tailgate deck chairs and the other one could house my hook up and exterior window cover.

I know we aim to take only what we need but with our first trip in two days some examples would be great to help me pack tomorrow.

I like the idea of small boxes in the cupboard to hold plates etc together whilst driving.

Hmmm , you say you searched the forum?
Discoverd this.....?
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/inside-the-hotel-california-for-your-eyes-only.9776/

I have this feeling that the best way to work out what you need and where to put stuff is to do two or three short overnight trips away in your Cali. This is how I am working out what I need to access easily and frequently, and what I don't really need at all! I have struck with my four cheap washing up bowls to keep gear in place in the cupboards under the sink and hob, as this seems to be working well for me and stops annoying rattles. All the best for your first trip.

Ikea can be your friend. They have very nice, white storage containers that fit in the cupboards very well. Also ant-slip rubber matting to stop them slipping around.

When you pull the seat forward to make the bed up there's space to store some overnight things behind the backrest of the seat (before it's laid flat)
Take care you don't squash anything when laying the bed flat and clear the space as previous before returning the bed to normal position

Alan

Before you think "where shall I put it" think "do I need to take it"

The most things i carry are used frequent .
But some things you need , just in case....
Just thismorning the thread on pots and pans...one showed a nice set of six ....pans?
Why chould i carry six pans in a Cali? For me one pan and two pots is enough...
But in the end it is all about personal needs.

Ikea can be your friend. They have very nice, white storage containers that fit in the cupboards very well. Also ant-slip rubber matting to stop them slipping around.
All supermarkets have mini stuff and nonsense too...a great source of things you didn't think you needed....and probably don't.....but might?!

I use 2x 64L really useful boxes for most things, it's good but not efficient when packing and unpacking. Not sure if they would fit in the SE? I am thinking something with drawers in would make storage really effective and that's my next mission to find.

I know that Slidepods do a boot drawer on runners (without a kitchen etc), so you can use full front to back space without having to remove everything first. It could be compartmentalised I expect to make things more organised, That is tempting to me because as much as I can get in the boxes, there is a lot of shuffling things in and out of boxes to get what I need. Nature of campers to a degree but no harm in minimising the shuffling required.

I planned on 2 x 64l really useful boxes, 2 for £30 in b and q, and would get my dads diamond discount on a wed :)

But the space soon taken up with my vango kela 3 and 335 cube on a L shape so a 35l box will still fit :)

I LOVE really useful boxes and have filled my loft with them! However they don't interlock/sit closely together side by side. I've found some cheaper boxes which are better...there's always some space in between to slip walking poles and collapsible bowls, etc into. The really useful ones are quite heavy too....

Great thread - interesting to hear what others do. Mine has to double as a van or a gig vehicle sometimes, so I can't always keep too much stuff in the back. Permanently stored items: right-hand cupboard under the sink - three small baskets of various emergency food and drinks. Left-hand cupboard for cooking utensils, cups, plates etc. Wardrobe used solely for plenty of bedding, spare shoes (and a little DVD player!). Big drawer under the rear seat for collapsible washing-up bowl, cleaning materials, front curtains, bin liners and bags. Locker over the rear seat for washbags, medicines (an increasing number of those as the years go by!). Stick-on storage wallets on the front of the big drawer for books, games, pens, binoculars, torches, radio, batteries etc (some in the backs of the front seats too). Under the bed extension at the back for sun canopy, barbecue, doormats, steps, ladder. While camping, top shelf for bags of clothes and crate of food (all have to be moved to the front of the van at night). We don't carry a loo, as you probably gather.

I've a new cali and been on two 10 days trips so far. First trip took way too much stuff for time of year didn't need and whole of boot space was full. Second trip fine tuned it more so some time out will help you reach a workable solution for you. In the cupboard space below sink and hob i went to our local Range store and bought a variety of boxes and storage options top open and some clip lids and took them straight out to van and spend 20 mins playing around with what worked where and best for me. then took back unwanted ones straightaway. Ended up with two small open ones for salt/pepper type stuff in one, other got marmite type items then below is one large open box ( all plastic and washable/wipable) in this is have plates etc with larger frying pan upside down on top of it all. All sat on non slip mats. No noise whilst travelling around bendy Welsh mountain roads. Then other side i have all the clip top ones which are smaller and long and they have packet pasta type foods and cooking utensils ( don't fit in slide out draw) then final one has 'housekeeping' stuff like tea towels, washing tabs and small conditioner, pegs, bungee,food clips, packet of expensive duster wipes and cleaning hygiene wipes. Also on this side got a camper saucepan set in its own bag with everything fitting inside its self, super small and does the job but frying pan sooooo small no good hence additional one.....too much detail!!! LOL
under seat got drinks, bog in a bag, torch, small folding step,black out curtains, small hand brush to get sand etc out, small multi tool like swiss army knife to cover off what might need for emergency :) i have screen cover from Fabrix- bus eyes kept in with chairs, kyham cosi in the back boot area with levelling chocks down the side next to table. loads of space left for clothes in wardrobe, back cupboard and over head locker with a small overnight style bag with washbag towel for shower trips, unless wild camping. I did a lot of wild camping and thought i go to local swimming pools and shower there for the cost of a swim....backfired as all now seem to be open and unisex and not closed off so needing swim wear with you- i forgot to pack that! :)

Beding once used is rolled back and left on parcel shelf ready to unroll of ready for the next night- super easy.

half the fun is finding out what works for you- still got too much with me really with kitchen/food side but was wild camping and didn't know when i'd find shops etc so over catered but never needed to panic was always sorted.
happy travels.......

Before you think "where shall I put it" think "do I need to take it"

Absolutely agree.
We have stripped down to bare essentials for camping. Then we are each allowed a few things which we feel we need. My wife has hair straighteners and hair dryer. I tell her she has wasted her allowance :D

Absolutely agree.
We have stripped down to bare essentials for camping. Then we are each allowed a few things which we feel we need. My wife has hair straighteners and hair dryer. I tell her she has wasted her allowance :D

My wife usualy takes hairdryer and hairstraightner allong...says it belongs to her essentials....even if we know we will not be on campsites every day.
Been thinking of leaving all three at home the next time:Nailbiting

There are other treads on how and what some take in their Cali's
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/inside-the-hotel-california-for-your-eyes-only.9776/

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/2-years-a-california.13369/

I planned on 2 x 64l really useful boxes, 2 for £30 in b and q, and would get my dads diamond discount on a wed :)

But the space soon taken up with my vango kela 3 and 335 cube on a L shape so a 35l box will still fit :)
Hobbycraft £12 each - thanks to Welshgas.

My wife usualy takes hairdryer and hairstraightner allong...says it belongs to her essentials....even if we know we will not be on campsites every day.
Been thinking of leaving all three at home the next time:Nailbiting

There are other treads on how and what some take in their Cali's

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/2-years-a-california.13369/

Much easier camping with the boys, we all have the same allowance, beer and humour;)

Last edited:
In our T4, the upper bed can be removed, leaving a large shelf at the rear. We use his to store collapsible boxes with lots of "stuff" in. When travelling, they are on the floor. Not having this facility on the T5 is a retrograde step. Similarly, the top cupboard at the back holds lots of T-shirts/ tops with no weight restriction and the stuff does not fall out when you open it!. One useful idea which we copied from a T4 Forum meet was to use a small pop-up tent. On arrival, throw out the tent and store your cr*p in there, leaving the van space free! Simples!

When we set up camp, we use a 2man Quechua pop up tent to take most of our outdoor cooking/camping gear and keep the clutter to a minimum inside the van.