Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

tap microswitch replacement - reference

J

jusdecariottes

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi,

I have read several posts referring to the microswitch in the tap.

Mine does not work anymore. is there any possibility to buy a micro-switch instead of buying a full tap?

If yes what is the refernce of such micro-switch and do you have any advise where to buy it from?

I just would like to avoid changin the full tap just because of this tiny switch, it would be too much waste for nothing.

thank you for your help,
seb

thanks. What I'm looking for is only the micro switch,not the full tap.
I think I've found one on ebay. I'll buy it and hopefully it will fit my tap

super thank you very much!. That's exactly what I was looking for.

just to say that I managed to install this microswitch and it works perfectly in the original VW california Tap.

to replace the old one, you need to:
open the tap fully
remove the plastic lever (pull towards the side with using a screwdriver or something similar
pull the micro switch out (you need a screw driver)
disconnect the cableunderneath the tap
replace the new micro switch and connect the cables
reposition the plastic lever (don't forget to do it in the open position)
job done

Just a warning for any other diy attempts- in the process of trying to remove the microswitch it has snapped off the black plastic lugs holding it in place. The white part of the switch assembly appears to be glued into the black part of the switch housing in my bus. Looks like I will have to either rig up an alternative switch or just buy a new tap

I now have a unused microswitch for sale if anyone is interested!

Hi fellow Cali nuts,
Help please with the tap micro switch (and another related query)...
- what do I need to do to remove the micro switch to clean it? Levering with a small screwdriver doesn’t seem to do anything and I am wary of breaking the black tabs holding it in place which would need a new tap.
- the hose seems to come out of the tap at a very strange angle. Is this normal?
- I disconnected what I thought was the plug for the tap but it was the left side of the plug assembly under the sink and it seems to have knocked out the waste water measuring, which now flashes a big blank waste tank on the screen with no level shown.
Thoughts appreciated please...92AEB27C-7FCA-4B6F-8B1E-BF2A8F1E50A2.jpeg

Hi fellow Cali nuts,
Help please with the tap micro switch (and another related query)...
- what do I need to do to remove the micro switch to clean it? Levering with a small screwdriver doesn’t seem to do anything and I am wary of breaking the black tabs holding it in place which would need a new tap.
- the hose seems to come out of the tap at a very strange angle. Is this normal?
- I disconnected what I thought was the plug for the tap but it was the left side of the plug assembly under the sink and it seems to have knocked out the waste water measuring, which now flashes a big blank waste tank on the screen with no level shown.
Thoughts appreciated please...View attachment 57087
If you push the wires up a bit the switch should pull out
sideways.
Make sure that the plug is in the sink so that when the switch
falls apart you don't lose that tiny spring like piece.

Thats as far as i got.
I ordered a new tap, it was easier for me as i hadn't the patience.

If you push the wires up a bit the switch should pull out
sideways.
Make sure that the plug is in the sink so that when the switch
falls apart you don't lose that tiny spring like piece.

Thats as far as i got.
I ordered a new tap, it was easier for me as i hadn't the patience.
Unless you are a Swiss watchmaker :)

The difficult part to find were the Junior Power Timer terminals (the tiny metal connectors) that actually fit inside the channels of the plastic housing (Part 1JO 973 119) that makes the connection below the sink. After scouring the internet and calling various VW, Porsche, Audi and Skoda dealers, who wouldn’t, couldn’t, didn’t sell the part to me, I was forced to approach the problem differently which in the end worked out much easier. Here’s how I fixed the microswitch problem in a few easy steps. I purchased the microswitch through the link MRCHEESBROUGH suggested and it arrived in a couple of days. The most difficult steps are in the preparation to do the work.

• Remove the 5-amp fuse under the front of the passenger seat. To do that, rotate the passenger seat to face aft. Slide the seat all the way toward the galley kitchen to expose the fuses under the front of the passenger seat. The 5 -mp fuse is located all the way to the inboard side of the fusebox between the other 5-amp fuse and the 10-amp fuse.

• Remove the tap handle. Plug the sink and turn the tap toward the fully-ON position. Remove the tap cover by gently prying it off using the plastic car trim kit tool (so as not to scratch the cover). It will take some force and it may take two tools to work around the circumference of the tap cover.

• Remove the old microswitch from the black plastic holder on the tap. Carefully use some micro-pliers placing the nose of the pliers in the side slot of the microswitch between the black plastic guides and gently move the microswitch toward the passenger seat. NOTE: It is not necessary to disconnect the brown wires at the connection below the sink.

• Desolder the brown/blue brown wire pair at the terminals of old microswitch and the new microswitch taking care to note which wire goes to which termiinal on the switch. You will need to gently pull some slack wire through the tap to ensure you have the working space

• Resolder the new micro switch to the brown/blue brown wire pair.

• Replace the 5-amp fuse.

Thanks for the step by step instructions. We are on Day 2 of a 40 day road trip and the tap failed yesterday after a couple of intermittent operations. We have the shower attachment at the back and I found I could toggle the motor on and off from there and push some water through the tap, so was fairly sure it wasn’t the motor.

I disconnected the wiring block under the sink and shorted the terminals there, which made the motor run, confirming that is must be the micro switch. I then took off the tap following the excellent instructions above, but using my only tools of a screwdriver and a credit card. I reconnected the wires below the sink and found I could poke the micro switch with a screw driver and make it work. It didn’t work if I pushed with my fingers, so the screwdriver was probably just shorting the connection.

I thought I’d try cleaning the contact somehow and started by blasting it with WD40 which appeared to immediately do the trick. So - for now - I’ve declared success and put it all back together!

Thanks for the hints in this thread, and I hope my experience in turn helps the next person along.

Thanks for the step by step instructions. We are on Day 2 of a 40 day road trip and the tap failed yesterday after a couple of intermittent operations. We have the shower attachment at the back and I found I could toggle the motor on and off from there and push some water through the tap, so was fairly sure it wasn’t the motor.

I disconnected the wiring block under the sink and shorted the terminals there, which made the motor run, confirming that is must be the micro switch. I then took off the tap following the excellent instructions above, but using my only tools of a screwdriver and a credit card. I reconnected the wires below the sink and found I could poke the micro switch with a screw driver and make it work. It didn’t work if I pushed with my fingers, so the screwdriver was probably just shorting the connection.

I thought I’d try cleaning the contact somehow and started by blasting it with WD40 which appeared to immediately do the trick. So - for now - I’ve declared success and put it all back together!

Thanks for the hints in this thread, and I hope my experience in turn helps the next person along.
Great Graeme! Glad you were able to get it working again. One recommendation is to use Deoxit on electrical connections (understand you were on the road though). I'm interested in the utility of the credit card :) with your temporary fix !!!!

Graeme,

As an alternative to WD40 you can use some very fine sanding paper to clean the tiny micro switch contact of corrosion. Be carefull not to let the little spring to escape, as it is difficult to reinsert that thing.

But in many cases the micro switch is not corroded, but simply burnt, because of the too high amperages flowing through the switch from the battery to the pump. In this case it is best to buy a new switch (e.g. from Ebay or a camping webshop):

1650963962132.png

If you are not keen on soldering, just cut the connectors under the sink, and connect the wires with small Waeco clamps.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Back