Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tell me about leisure batteries please

V

vwsween

Vehicle
Cali now sold
I have a 2006 SE which I believe should have 1 leisure battery under rh front seat and as an option, a second battery under the wardrobe. My recently purchased van has no battery under the seat but does have one under the wardrobe. There is wiring for battery under the seat and the battery under the wardrobe has no markings to identify it.
I presume that ideally there should be 2 batteries but I need help to know what type/size/make they should be.
I also suspect that the 1 battery I do have is old and not having decent capacity. My reasons being, when setting off on a 3 hour journey I turned the fridge box on set at 3 degrees. Initial reading from battery via the central control panel was battery charge was 13.2v and draw was 3.2a. After 3 hour drive the battery was down to 12.5v. Then after another 3 hours the reading was 12.1v and supposedly down to 30% of capacity.
So in summary, I think the battery I have is old and needs to be replaced. In addition I guess I ought to have 2 batteries but I don't know what they should be.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Brian

Have a look here.

I have a 2006 SE which I believe should have 1 leisure battery under rh front seat and as an option, a second battery under the wardrobe. My recently purchased van has no battery under the seat but does have one under the wardrobe. There is wiring for battery under the seat and the battery under the wardrobe has no markings to identify it.
I presume that ideally there should be 2 batteries but I need help to know what type/size/make they should be.
I also suspect that the 1 battery I do have is old and not having decent capacity. My reasons being, when setting off on a 3 hour journey I turned the fridge box on set at 3 degrees. Initial reading from battery via the central control panel was battery charge was 13.2v and draw was 3.2a. After 3 hour drive the battery was down to 12.5v. Then after another 3 hours the reading was 12.1v and supposedly down to 30% of capacity.
So in summary, I think the battery I have is old and needs to be replaced. In addition I guess I ought to have 2 batteries but I don't know what they should be.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Brian
Two things.
1. Yes, you should have 2 x Leisure Batteries .
2. Of more concern is the fact that it appears the Engine Alternator is Not Charging your remaining battery. Now this maybe because the battery under the front seat has been removed or there is a problem with the Split Charging System.

Either way I would suggest having the electrical system checked out first.

Leisure Batteries can be purchased from the Forum Shop or the Internet.

Have a look here.
Thanks for that but its back to 2015. hopefully there is new info available.

Two things.
2. Of more concern is the fact that it appears the Engine Alternator is Not Charging your remaining battery. Now this maybe because the battery under the front seat has been removed or there is a problem with the Split Charging System.

Yes 2 batteries.
Maybe alternator or charging system but it had a decent charge at start of journey. So I can see if its charging on my return journey by leaving the fridge off and checking voltage before and after journey. If it is charging I will expect its just an old battery.

Two things.

Looking at the Club Shop, there is only one battery listed - Avon 80ah - but its out of stock and I cant find it anywhere else. Would be interested to know what alternatives others may be fitting.

My 2 leisure batteries are still good after nearly 13 yrs,
when i come to replace them i will fit the same again if
i can get them irrespective of cost, they've been good.
I´ll post a pic tomorrow of what they are.

And I'm sure that all SE´s came with 2 leisure batteries as standard.

Yes 2 batteries.
Maybe alternator or charging system but it had a decent charge at start of journey. So I can see if its charging on my return journey by leaving the fridge off and checking voltage before and after journey. If it is charging I will expect its just an old battery.
Well on mine the Leisure Battery, starting at 12.8 volts, jumps to 14.4v as soon as the Engine starts and I drive off and continues at that level until Engine is switched off. That is with the Fridge running on Level 5, fridge temperature of about 2c at base of fridge, also charging an iPad, 2 phones and a Kindle. 30 mins after Engine Off Leisure Battery Voltage was 12.8. All the above still connected.
Your Leisure Battery should not be showing such a voltage drop whilst driving. No matter how old it is. It is not being charged.

FYI
The VW original leisure battery is a Varta Professional Dual Purpose AGM 80 Ah Short Code: LA 80
Here in Norway Vw sell those in black for around 450 euros each. But you can find them for as little as 200 euros elsewhere...

Thanks all for such good information. I realise I may have mislead you. The first reading I took was before starting engine. The second a few minutes after turning engine off after 3 hour drive (fridge still on) and the third about 3 hours later (fridge still on). I will test again another time and also see if the 1 battery is fully charged by using a hook-up. That will be at the club Slimbridge meet next month - I cant use a charge lead at home as I live in a third floor flat!
Thanks again.

As @WelshGas has said voltage on control panel should read about 14.2vdc with engine running. Mine reads that, what does panel voltage read with engine running?
As you can see i have a 2006 Cali and it should have 2 leisure batteries

Thanks all for such good information. I realise I may have mislead you. The first reading I took was before starting engine. The second a few minutes after turning engine off after 3 hour drive (fridge still on) and the third about 3 hours later (fridge still on). I will test again another time and also see if the 1 battery is fully charged by using a hook-up. That will be at the club Slimbridge meet next month - I cant use a charge lead at home as I live in a third floor flat!
Thanks again.
If the Alternator and Split Charging System are working correctly the Leisure Battery Voltage should remain unchanged as the Charging System should be more than capable of running the fridge and charging the battery. The fact that it hasn’t indicates a problem.

Thanks again both. Another 3 hour drive today. So the battery was already low reading 12.2v before starting engine and then 14.3v with engine running. I did not use fridge this time. At end of journey within a very short time the reading settled at 12.8v.
I am hoping that indicates that the charging system is at least working and the problem is one battery missing and the other in poor condition. I will make sure that battery gets fully charged on hookup and see how it then performs before deciding whether to order 1 or 2 new batteries.

If your system charges while driving, or engine running, that part would be ok.
If your car is from 2006 and the leisure battery is the same age, that means it is 13 years old. There are 2 batteries because of the roof, fridge and heater. If they pulled out 1 battery, it all comes to that one battery left and this will shorten its life.
Get 2 new batteries, preferably AGM because they can get some draining without going dead too soon, but take good ones. They may be (too) expensive from VW, but you have 3 years warranty, and my experience is, that they are better than other makes, or other types of batteries.

Thanks again both. Another 3 hour drive today. So the battery was already low reading 12.2v before starting engine and then 14.3v with engine running. I did not use fridge this time. At end of journey within a very short time the reading settled at 12.8v.
I am hoping that indicates that the charging system is at least working and the problem is one battery missing and the other in poor condition. I will make sure that battery gets fully charged on hookup and see how it then performs before deciding whether to order 1 or 2 new batteries.
It is advised that the Leisure Batteries should be replaced in pairs otherwise the new battery will be dragged down by the old battery and shorten it's life.
Sounds as if the Alternator and Charging system is working.

There should be a fuse on the rear battery which goes between the one under the passenger seat and the rear one. As you have the rear battery and it appears to be charging this would suggest the fuse is fine which is good..

There should be a fuse on the rear battery which goes between the one under the passenger seat and the rear one. As you have the rear battery and it appears to be charging this would suggest the fuse is fine which is good..
"passenger seat" he said. Its a shock to the system to realise I can be so thick!
After a string of vans with leisure battery under drivers seat I saw a few wires under drivers seat and just assumed battery had been removed. Of course I now find a battery under passenger seat. Trouble is its a Bosch L5 - ie its not AGM, so that's probably the problem. The one in the rear is a big black job with no labels but I guess its the proper Varta AGM - It has a few numbers Z5B881241 0657, 580901Z C529531.
Anyway I decided to post this confession as benefit to others. The result is still the same - I probably need 2 new proper batteries.

Yes definitely, if one battery is a different capacity you will get charging problems and the stronger battery may potentially lose charge into the other.

Good afternoon,

The entire battery charging thing is a mystery to me. The more I read about it, the more confused I get. Good that I have no issues with it (long may it last!).

Never the less, I configured the control panel to show the battery status (why I don't know, it doesn't tell me a lot). I was reading here that while driving the display should say 14.3V (or so), which mine never does, it is always about the 12.4 - 12.8.

Does this mean it is not working as it suppose to? I connect the van every month to the electricity, I drive the van every day (work :() and have an eye on the units to ensure that they are not switched on by accident.

Regards,
Eberhard

It may not necessarily be bad, it could be that your batteries are in good condition and it doesn't need to put a big charge. Does it change to 14.4 when you brake or slow down?

My voltage will drop to 12.4 when the engine battery is in a good place and my leisure batteries are full.