Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

That smug feeling

Its an enforced break :) - my 500 mile day driving needed 2 stops... I had a coffee and went to the loo and it was ready to carry on at the same time as I was (usually 20 mins max)

Teslas are the lucky ones really - we can go the farthest and charge the fastest of the EVs
Assuming that you had a full charge, for how many hours could you operate the heater in a Tesla in freezing conditions if stranded like those unfortunate people on the motorways recently?
I am not trying to score any points but merely genuinely interested.

Assuming that you had a full charge, for how many hours could you operate the heater in a Tesla in freezing conditions if stranded like those unfortunate people on the motorways recently?
I am not trying to score any points but merely genuinely interested.
I think Tesla's battery is either 75 or 100 KWh depending on the option chosen.

Baseline (vehicle at rest but powered up): 247 Wh
1 Seat Heater: 57 Wh
2 Seat Heaters: 133 Wh
3 Seat Heaters: 171 Wh
4 Seat Heaters: 209 Wh
5 Seat Heaters: 247 Wh =
HVAC at 74F (23C): 342 Wh

So, two people stranded, with seat heaters and HVAC set to 23C = 247+133+342 = 722 Wh. You could be toasty for up to 138 hours dependent on battery option.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Last edited:
Doesn't the HVAC depend one the ambient temperature? its going to take more power to heat to maintain 23C if its -10 outside than if its 22C. Does the battery performance drop off drastically in the cold?

i suppose even worst case using phone charger, radio on only half a charge to start & needing enough left to get to charging station Your going to be ok for 24 hours. So no worse a position than someone running low on petrol & not able to run the engine full time.

Doesn't the HVAC depend one the ambient temperature? its going to take more power to heat to maintain 23C if its -10 outside than if its 22C. Does the battery performance drop off drastically in the cold?
23C is lo warm - the figure quoted is while the heater is running. The cabin temperature might never reach 23C so the heater might run continuously. But never mind, you bum will be toasty from the seat heater even if your runny nose has an icicle forming on its end.

Hi warm is 28C and drains 6400 Wh.

My knowledge of batteries is insufficient to answer your second question.

I'm driving to the gym this morning. I need to make the time, although with family in hospital I'm very busy, and I can barely afford the hour that I'm going to be there let alone the 2 1/2 hours it would take me to walk/run there. In fact I often drive there, I pass the supermarket on the way and do some shopping.

A guy I often see on the cross-trainer often drives himself or gets driven to the gym. He's recovering from a brain injury and can barely use his legs yet has the guts to try and work them with support.

One of the Personal Trainers at my Gym also drives all the time. He lives a three hour walk away so it's perhaps understandable. Some might have read about him..... He's this bloke. He might be a little annoyed at someone being derisory towards him.

In fact there are a lot of reasons why people drive to the gym. A lot also do not go there for leg work, or indeed have legs like the bloke above. I'm going there today to cross-train on half a dozen resistance machines to improve upper body and core strength. Why generalised comments of a derisory nature can be a bit silly.

I think Tesla's battery is either 75 or 100 KWh depending on the option chosen.

Baseline (vehicle at rest but powered up): 247 Wh
1 Seat Heater: 57 Wh
2 Seat Heaters: 133 Wh
3 Seat Heaters: 171 Wh
4 Seat Heaters: 209 Wh
5 Seat Heaters: 247 Wh =
HVAC at 74F (23C): 342 Wh

So, two people stranded, with seat heaters and HVAC set to 23C = 247+133+342 = 722 Wh. You could be toasty for up to 138 hours dependent on battery option.

That's very interesting. Thanks.

I'm driving to the gym this morning. I need to make the time, although with family in hospital I'm very busy, and I can barely afford the hour that I'm going to be there let alone the 2 1/2 hours it would take me to walk/run there. In fact I often drive there, I pass the supermarket on the way and do some shopping.

A guy I often see on the cross-trainer often drives himself or gets driven to the gym. He's recovering from a brain injury and can barely use his legs yet has the guts to try and work them with support.

One of the Personal Trainers at my Gym also drives all the time. He lives a three hour walk away so it's perhaps understandable. Some might have read about him..... He's this bloke. He might be a little annoyed at someone being derisory towards him.

In fact there are a lot of reasons why people drive to the gym. A lot also do not go there for leg work, or indeed have legs like the bloke above. I'm going there today to cross-train on half a dozen resistance machines to improve upper body and core strength. Why generalised comments of a derisory nature can be a bit silly.

Absolutely totally agree. I drive to the gym because I don't have the time nor the inclination to walk the three miles there and back along country roads. I don't go on the treadmill but to classes and yoga. Rude comments and calling people 'tits' are unnecessary and frankly downright insulting.

Absolutely totally agree. I drive to the gym because I don't have the time nor the inclination to walk the three miles there and back along country roads. I don't go on the treadmill but to classes and yoga. Rude comments and calling people 'tits' are unnecessary and frankly downright insulting.

and ...

Talking Gyms and using legs ...... just this minute got the news flash that the Bath Half will be going ahead despite the weather.

YESSSSSSS!!!!

It means I do not have to cancel my stay at the CC's Baltic wharf site :D

The rudeness is unnecessary - but the jibe was about feeling smug about driving to the gym. It is not an emotion I would normally associate with driving relatively short distances whatever the weather.

A lift for those who struggle with steps I could understand - but this!?
58cc716d907c7a2a6566eb90c203b52e.jpg

The rudeness is unnecessary - but the jibe was about feeling smug about driving to the gym. It is not an emotion I would normally associate with driving relatively short distances whatever the weather.

A lift for those who struggle with steps I could understand - but this!?
58cc716d907c7a2a6566eb90c203b52e.jpg

Maybe the escalators are in reverse mode!

that smug feeling-when you drive a van to the gym to go on a walking machine.

Hopefully you have taken account of this?

I'm driving to the gym this morning. I need to make the time,

[QUOTE="Amarillo, post: 267692, member: 1but the jibe was about feeling smug about driving to the gym.[/QUOTE]
I

I am being smug about having a remote control heater and 4x4 with winter tyres.... the gym just happened to be where I was going.... i think most people get it!

As it happens, after my resistance session, I then drove an additional 15 miles to a meeting (in the opposite direction to my house). Again feeling smug in my warm 4x4 snow tyre’d pre- warmed Cali

Its all about the Cali

On reflection I suppose I could have walked the 18 mile return trip to the gym and done little else that day?

PS this is precisely why I rarely use net forums...

Talking of Discos , VW Calis, and winter tyres, well,

I sell solar panels for Calis
I have a Disco
I have winter tyres
I have been very smug :)

So it includes me! - I cannot say enough good things about winter treads. I have General Grabber AT2 tyres - they are all terrain, but also have a snow cut and are marked as such. I have been driving through everything. The deep frozen crust of ice makes no difference.

1st time I got stuck - no amount of traction works when you try to drive over a solid drift that lifts the wheels off the ground :) The tractor, after pulling me back, could not get much further and we turned around and went another route. High up in the Devon hills.

IMG-20180302-WA0001 by Roger Donoghue, on Flickr

I think the motorhome next to me today has a smug feeling every time he sees me walk to the shower block in -3 degrees

.. but he has to use a potty....

He'll have to do the walk of shame with his little tank of joy at some stage. That's the time to be standing outside with your smuggest of smug looks on. :thumb

I get it, was just a dig about driving to the gym. I suppose we do the same carrying bikes down the road on the rack, just cycle eh

I think the motorhome next to me today has a smug feeling every time he sees me walk to the shower block in -3 degrees
You can do the same when he goes to fill the water tank, empty the chemical toilet, unless of course they don’t shower.

I get it, was just a dig about driving to the gym. I suppose we do the same carrying bikes down the road on the rack, just cycle eh

I thought of you today :D

I drove to the Gym and there, parked in front, was a big yellow thing.

Just as I was rushing to get my camera realised the Awning was on the passenger side, it was a T6 conversion.

I went to a gym once. got hold of this big silver thing. I pushed it and pulled it but I couldn't get the door open so I went to the pub. boom. thanks for thinking of me jen

Are but you surely can be SMUG in thinking that you haven't just dumped gallons of steam and condensation into your van unlike motorhome guy...:cool:

I went to a gym once. got hold of this big silver thing. I pushed it and pulled it but I couldn't get the door open so I went to the pub. boom. thanks for thinking of me jen

I did 15k of incline work-out today, response to the Bath !/2 being cancelled :sad

I spent most of the time wishing someone would take me to the pub :(

I did 15k of incline work-out today, response to the Bath !/2 being cancelled :sad

I spent most of the time wishing someone would take me to the pub :(
I've also done several hours of incline work out today, mainly with my eyes closed.

Last edited:
Back