Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

That smug feeling

itscalledbob

itscalledbob

Home is where you park it
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
sat at the breakfast table drinking my morning coffee. Turn on the cali’s remote cabin heater. 10 minutes later I climb in to my warm, 4x4 snow tyre’d equipped Cali and drive off to the gym.... no drama #snowday #smug

Mines similar

sat at the breakfast table drinking my morning coffee. Turn on the cali’s remote cabin heater. 10 minutes later I climb in to my warm, 2x4 summer tyre’d equipped Cali ( its not worth putting the winters on) and drive off to work...

.........4 hours later I've managed the 18 miles down the M1 that I needed to do.

I just love the incredibly smug feeling of going out into the drive, watching all my neighbours hard at it clearing snow off cars and ice of windscreens, and get into my beautifully warm and completely ice and snow free Cali, the one with the programmable heater .......:D

Although I can't join the 4x4 and snow tyre club, it was discussed at work this morning about potential traffic issues leaving people stranded tomorrow when the Amber warning hits the south. Like I still don't believe it'll happen.
As people prepared to take a flask, a shovel and extra clothing contemplating running their engines for as long as possible I also sat there smug. Kettle, cutlery, bedding, table, food stocks. Need I say more? :thumb

I’d love to have a Cali to feel smug in... Hopefully the wait will be over soon.

However pretty glad I still have my Audi fitted with winter tyres - I did feel incredibly smug driving straight up a hill with not so much as a slip of a wheel when the discovery in front of me had been attempting to climb it for 10 minutes before giving up and letting me have a go. I think his exact words were ‘you’ll never get up there in that mucky thing’ I only wish I’d offered him a tow! Smug... oh yes.

Moral is winter tyres work / don’t get a £60K 4x4 and put crap tyres on it.

Smug last week in the alps parked on ice packed snow pointing up hill
2wd winter tyres
No problem at all totally amazed really how good they performed,not even a slip obviously carful on the clutch n gas .

Must admit I am going to need to put the cali on charge at the weekend, Ive been really hammering the parking heater this week :D

I think that this thread is calling out for the California Smugness Index...

Level 1 - that SMUG feeling as you drive your brand new California off of the forecourt with 'mine, all mine' written across your face.
Level 2 - that SMUG feeling as you reverse park into your drive for the first time in a single attempt with your hi tech parking sensors (and parking camera) guiding you in with more precision that Heathrow's Instrument Landing System.
Level 3 - that SMUG feeling during a road trip along a narrow country lane when you have to pull over to let a group of on-coming cyclists pass only for them to stop and ask to look inside your lush Camper Van.
Level 4 - that SMUG feeling when you are parked up having a soup lunch on a sunny winters day with the side door open and a tiny Nissan Micra parks alongside from which a very large family emerges and the 6' 5" dad says 'wow - can I look around?', you then conduct the full sales tour as he and the kids look on gobsmacked.
Level 5 - that SMUG feeling when you draw up at your camp site pitch and find yourself next to a T5 conversion and the owner says 'hmm nice, that's one of those real VW Camper Vans isn't it?'.
Level 6 -
Turn on the cali’s remote cabin heater. 10 minutes later I climb in to my warm, 4x4 snow tyre’d equipped Cali and drive off to the gym
Level 7-
Turn on the cali’s remote cabin heater. 10 minutes later I climb in to my warm, 2x4 summer tyre’d equipped Cali ( its not worth putting the winters on) and drive off to work...
Level 8 -
my beautifully warm and completely ice and snow free Cali, the one with the programmable heater .......:D
Level 9 -
Smug last week in the alps parked on ice packed snow pointing up hill 2wd winter tyres No problem at all totally amazed really how good they performed,not even a slip obviously carful on the clutch n gas .
Level 10 -
I also sat there smug. Kettle, cutlery, bedding, table, food stocks. Need I say more? :thumb

Level 11...
Level 12...

Level 11 ...

That smug feeling as you are inside the car park, awning out, lunch on the table, enjoying the view and the big white is outside looking forlornly at the 2M height barrier....

Level 12 - when you're stationary in all the other stuck traffic in the snow on a motorway for 12 hours on the M8, when you just get the parking heater on, have a brew and go to bed nice and toasty after having beans on toast for dinner with everyone else outside in the freezing cold. (well, apart from the 2 other lucky punters you've allowed in to warm up!)

New levels get unlocked with a Tesla too

Agreed. I've been driving BMW i3s for years now (on my second) and never going to petrol stations and not even knowing how much fuel is for a litre is quite special. (plus the pre-heat every morning too of course).

Pity I'll have to find out about diesel prices soon with the Cali arriving

New levels get unlocked with a Tesla too
The Tesla owners weren't looking that smug on the motorway services last week, there was 3 next to each other on charge waiting to carry on there journey...the owners sat there looking very bored..but I imagine there are great advantages like you say!

Its an enforced break :) - my 500 mile day driving needed 2 stops... I had a coffee and went to the loo and it was ready to carry on at the same time as I was (usually 20 mins max)

Teslas are the lucky ones really - we can go the farthest and charge the fastest of the EVs

that smug feeling-when you drive a van to the gym to go on a walking machine.

Others might agree with the sentiment, but the way you've worded it comes across badly. I doubt you would say it to his face so why put it on a public forum?
yes I would . I would definitely question to someone's face the reason for driving to a gym. no problem

nice to see some one gets my point .even though I take the mickey. with all the nox issues.why are people driving to the gym?

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the sense of irony but I for one could not physically go out for a run in this weather as I have Reynould's which affects the circulation in my extremities. I would have to drive to a gym to have a run, but I do have a treadmill and a turbo trainer at home to save me having to do just that.

I also do get the nox point. I have recently started cycling in london when I go down rather than using the tube. Not sure if it is actually better for me or not!!

Back