Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I sooooo love the Auxillary Heater !!

Smiffy4bikes

Smiffy4bikes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
It's the simple things....

I have to leave for work at 3am which in this current cold snap isn’t great :( but hey, the alarm goes off, I press the remote heater button whilst still in bed and 15 minutes later I’m sat in my warm and toasty Cali ready for my drive in, oh happy days !!!

:bananadance2:bananadance2

And this morning, my day off so school run for me, and again, 15 mins before we leave, zap the remote and me and the kids all roasty, fabbo!

This morning I couldn’t help but remember with a shudder when I used to drive my 1979 VW Westy camper to work complete with a sleeping bag wrapped around my legs, wearing a woolly hat, gloves and about 4 jumpers, and ice on the inside of the windscreen.... no heater whatsoever!!

I did feel a little smug this morning, is that acceptable ?! :happy :happy

Highly acceptable :D

I woke up to a street full of people scrapin ice off windscreens and I was miss supersmug as mine was all clean and clear :D

I agree Cali Heater is great.

Cali surrounded by cars running on the driveway with no driver (theifs paradise) in a desperate attempt to defrost. Cali sits in the corner and defrosts as if by magic.

Does anyone happen to know what heat setting is used when using the remote. Is it the last used setting?

Thanks.

Was Just cleaning the Cali between hires. I had the remote in my hand so turned the heating on and off with several settings. So can confirm it comes on at the previous level

I tend to turn the heater on using the remote which lives on the bedside table & turn it off using the overhead control panel.
If its been turned off using the heater button on the control panel it comes back on at the last used setting.
If its been turned off by turning off the control panel using the bottom left on off switch, the remote fires it up at level 07 as a default.

Thanks for the responses regarding the start-up setting.

As soon as I can get the battery replaced on the remote I'll experiment.

I tend to turn the heater on using the remote which lives on the bedside table & turn it off using the overhead control panel.
If its been turned off using the heater button on the control panel it comes back on at the last used setting.
If its been turned off by turning off the control panel using the bottom left on off switch, the remote fires it up at level 07 as a default.
Thanks that explains the oddity I've noticed.

Me too. It´s great isn´t it.
I use it often, even leave it on whilst out shopping.

I sometimes drive short trips and leave it on whilst driving, Not for the
extra heat, just so that i don´t have to turn it off and on in a short space of time.
i´m not sure if that is wise but it works okay.

I bought my 2015 Beach second hand and it didn't come with a remote for the heater, could it be that it never had one or that it did and it never got passed on, how would I know?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I bought my 2015 Beach second hand and it didn't come with a remote for the heater, could it be that it never had one or that it did and it never got passed on, how would I know?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
I've not got one either - it was optional at the time of ordering.

What I would really love is SMS / internet connectivity so you could send a message from your phone 30 mins before arriving back at the van. If anyone knows how to retrofit that I'd be keen to hear more.

There is also a timer function which you can use to start and stop the heater.
We usually sleep with it off when camping upstairs.
Set it to come on 15 mins before we go down to brew up in the morning and all is toasty. Absolute bloody luxury. Love it makes camping an absolute pleasure great for drying things to.

It’s a smug feeling when the neighbors ask, “how has the ice has melted off your van?”
Which my reply is, “it has its own central heating system.” Wink, climb in & drive off.
Some of my neighbors have these so called luxury cars, they don’t look very luxurious freezing outside with a scraper in one hand ;-)

How long do you find it needs? I usually set it for about 30 minutes and thats often enough to melt it enough that one swipe of the wipers and the screen is clear.

How long do you find it needs? I usually set it for about 30 minutes and thats often enough to melt it enough that one swipe of the wipers and the screen is clear.

Same, about 30 mins does the trick

What’s the range for the remote control?
On my SE , about 1/2 mile, or more, in line of sight. Or at least 200 metres horizontal and up 4 floors in a Multi-story car park.

Oh great, I’d assumed it was for use in the van eg while in bed, which is how I’ve used it so far.

Oh great, I’d assumed it was for use in the van eg while in bed, which is how I’ve used it so far.
Much longer range, even longer than the Vehicle Key Remote.

It's the simple things....

I have to leave for work at 3am which in this current cold snap isn’t great :( but hey, the alarm goes off, I press the remote heater button whilst still in bed and 15 minutes later I’m sat in my warm and toasty Cali ready for my drive in, oh happy days !!!

:bananadance2:bananadance2

And this morning, my day off so school run for me, and again, 15 mins before we leave, zap the remote and me and the kids all roasty, fabbo!

This morning I couldn’t help but remember with a shudder when I used to drive my 1979 VW Westy camper to work complete with a sleeping bag wrapped around my legs, wearing a woolly hat, gloves and about 4 jumpers, and ice on the inside of the windscreen.... no heater whatsoever!!

I did feel a little smug this morning, is that acceptable ?! :happy :happy
That’s just what I do! Up at 03:00 kettle on then point the remote out the flat window and 45 minutes later warm as toast with clear windows.
Apart from that when sleeping in it in cold weather I leave it on low all night with a window ajar. Never run the batteries down or noticed the amount of derv used.
After all if you’ve spent £? on a Cali what’s the point of being cold?

My best so far: Sitting in a pub last January planning a wine event and saying to some people "do you want to pop over to my van and collect some tasting samples?"

"Yes" they said, looking at the snow settling outside, and giving an involuntary grimace and shudder.

"Ok", said I, ever so smugly, "lets finish our drinks and pop over, it's warmer in the van than this draughty place anyway".

They gave me disbelieving looks. I , quite blindly, fumbled in my pocket, found the remote, and pressed what I hoped what the right side.

It was. We went back. The van was blissfully warm. I just shrugged my shoulders, "It's VW's new thought technology. I just think "heater on... and on it goes.... would you like a very nice glass of wine that I've brought with me?"......

Back