Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The best addition to your California?

Interesting. I take a kettle for gas and my Kellie kettle for outdoors. You can use free, foraged fuel (twigs, pinecones, dried dung, in fact anything solid you can set fire to, not spirit or gas) also purchased wood and charcoal.

Over flame it‘s very quick to boil and with accessories you can use it to cook on too (then the hot water is a happy bonus). It has its own firebox/stand but I also use it on my Charcoal Cobb oven/bbq/grill, just to boil water but also to start and accelerate the initial charcoal burn For cooking and it’s great to boil water with the last bit of oomph in the charcoal after a cook. It was a godsend at a festival when the dog had a bad tummy and all his bedding had to be washed. It’s also a great conversation starter, especially gratifying if a grumpy site warden comes over and grunts “you can’t use that thing here”, I just love it when I can show them it’s over bbq charcoal in an “allowed” charcoal bbq grill. ;)

CD3B4F3F-F0B1-4346-9306-42ECC7028E74.jpeg

Good grief Elly, your van must weigh about 5 tons with all your gear.
It’s more volume than weight! My hubby reckons if we converted a double decker bus I’d fill it with kit for an overnight stopover!

we are really liking your Foxy Journal, what a lovely idea.

Journal - lovely. We had one gif our previous van, but it was lost when the vehicle was stolen. I was particularly sad about that. If I started another journal, I would not keep it in the van (hence my blog; not quite as nice as a journal, I know)

Journal - lovely. We had one gif our previous van, but it was lost when the vehicle was stolen. I was particularly sad about that. If I started another journal, I would not keep it in the van (hence my blog; not quite as nice as a journal, I know)

Sorry to hear about your journal, Erbster, but great to be reminded of your blog.

I really enjoyed the post on the solar panel fitting, something we’re thinking of at the mo, mainly to keep the fridge and gadgets going at festivals (think we must have been at Cropredy the same time as you. We were on the campsite by the canal bridge, opposite the shop).

Anyway, back to the solar panel. With it being easy to remove are you concerned about it being stolen?

Last edited:
Just thought of something that is a big bonus for us. I have 2 stainless steel Thermos flasks that keep water seriously hot for 24 hours. Any water we boil that isn't used goes in them.

When we're camping I use my 1.5 ltr kellie kettle loads. As well as just for boiling water, cooking outside on top of it with the pot stand or starting/accelerating fuel for campfires or my Cobb. Storm kettles always must have water in them, so sometimes it's a happy bonus. Even if you are using it only for boiling water you can use free, foraged fuel, and boiling time is quick so it's worth doing a whole kettle and keeping some for later.

Our passenger seat stays facing forward as the dog's space so the flasks sit on the ledge when the seat's forward:
View attachment 61852

If we go out for the day, or are just on an overnight stopover, we boil the water at home and put the flasks in the back. Great for handwashing, especially at the mo.

LOL we have the same net in the exact same place. For fruit and vegetables

Sorry to hear about your journal, Erbster, but great to be reminded of your blog.

I really enjoyed the post on the solar panel fitting, something we’re thinking of at the mo, mainly to keep the fridge and gadgets going at festivals (think we must have been at Cropredy the same time as you. We were on the campsite by the canal bridge, opposite the shop).

Anyway, back to the solar panel. With it being easy to remove are you concerned about it being stolen?
Have never seen a post, on this Forum or others, of a Solar Panel being stolen.

LOL we have the same net in the exact same place. For fruit and vegetables
Bargain at Ikea. I was going to make one but saw these (I go round Ikea like a ninja, looking for things to hack for the van, drives my hubby crazy).
We use ours for fruit too. It reminds me of shopping bags my mum used to have, before the scourge of the plastic carrier.

Got to be the front windscreen cover for the outside. Got a bright yellow one with'eyes' on. Do like that cover for the sliding door though as the blind is a bxxxer when going to use the porta potti in the safari room!

Bunjee cord for the roof bellows..Costs very little ,but saves a lot of accidental grief if the bellows get caught in the closing mechanism.

Here is my insane list of items that I either have or may be good to have in the future.

Camper Bits & Electrical
Electric Hookup Cable
Poptop Cover
Extension Lead
Camping Chair
Blow up camping chair
Electric Heater - For Awning Tent
Level blocks
Portable TV
Head torch
iPad
Airpods
Cards
Bin Bags
Plastic Bags
Rubber Mallet
Paracord
Lighter
Knife
Wet wipes
Toilet roll
Cadac
Gas Bottles
Cooking Utensils
Car Jumpstart Kit
Air Compressor

Bedding & Toiletries
Sleeping Bags
Pillows
Towels
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Deodorant
Hairbrush
Hair gel (If you have hair that is!)
Clothes
Crocks/Flipflops
Hat
Gloves
Coat - Warm One & Waterproof One
Boots/Shoes

Kitchen Stuff
Cutlery
Knives, Forks, Spoons
Spatula, tongs
Kitchen Roll
Hand Sanitiser
Tea Towel
Coffee Machine
Milk
Cereal
Fruit
Beer
Bottles of water
Crisps
Munchies
Orange Juice
Bread
Toaster
washing up liquid
Washing up cloth

P.S.
I just went with some basic items to start with and soon worked out what was actually essential and what wasn't! Enjoy your new Cali!

Glad to see your post gvick! We've picked up a Ridgemonkey already (looked like a swiss-army-knife of the cooking variety), as well as negotiating with the dealer on the OEM waterproof covers. Not the most comfortable (lots of sliding/slipping), but with a grubby handed 20mo daughter (and another due in November) we're no doubt going to need them!

We've grabbed a 25m - albeit doubting we'll need the full distance. But better be safe than sorry!

We'll add the cadac to our 2021 plans, i'm sure! Albeit the prerequisite is that I learn how to cook.....:D
I have x2 10m
Toppers are great if you’re staying put for a while. If you drive about a lot and the weather’s good putting them on and off is a pain, but manageable. If it’s raining though it’s a real pain in the butt as they get heavier and the insides get wet. Also even if you stay put, if the weather gets so bad in the night you need to get the top down, you’re out in the weather getting the covers off first. This applies to both types, the toppers and the side panels. That’s why we’ve now gone for the isotop Internal insulation. Once fitted, it stays in, you just have to be a bit more mindful when you lower the roof.
Thank you this has answered a very real question I've been mulling over this past week...

For me best things I got were..... Windows tinted, put a curtain up behind seats and another shelf under the sink.

Now preparing for Spain and taking stuff out.... More is definitely less with a cali.....

Bikerack - Atera ML2 tow ball rack

Seat covers .. 2 or 3 microfibre towels where the dog sits (rear bench) and none when no dog

Sheepskin rug ... have the yacht-type flooring

Packing cubes .... eBags

Mattress topper ..... comfort but looking long and hard at S2S SIM

White and sparking n the fridge, red in a case (s) in the boot
S2S SIM ? Whats is a S2S SIM ?? Apart from being an acronym !

Sea To Summit Self Inflating Mattress
S2S SIM !!!
I should have known that as Mrs Pixcels has just bought one !
Vastly expensive but very nice and from my try out on the floor, very comfy.
Do you think it will be okay to be left deflated on the top bunk with the roof down ? - not sure of the clearance problem

So - we bought our first California (2019 199 Ocean) last week, and like many of you i'm sure, we're like deers in the headlights when it comes to adding accessories. We've got a single night booked next weekend (4th July, so no doubt a feeding frenzy of folks when we arrive, given COVID-19 lockdown restrictions being eased), for the sole purpose of figuring out what we're missing. Better to find out after a single night and 50 miles from home, rather than on the continent for a week or two!

We've got our own personal list, but it's all based on hypothesis and assumption. So for those who are inducted into Hallf of Fame, what would you choose?

Bikerack?
Seat Covers?
Carpet?
Packing Cubes?
Matress Toppers?
Copious amounts of wine in the fridge?
Numerous other ideas that escape me!

If you were to 'do it all again', what would be that number one accessory you wish you had (and perhaps did?!) have from the very start?
Slide out rear tray.

IMG_20181104_142329.jpg

So - we bought our first California (2019 199 Ocean) last week, and like many of you i'm sure, we're like deers in the headlights when it comes to adding accessories. We've got a single night booked next weekend (4th July, so no doubt a feeding frenzy of folks when we arrive, given COVID-19 lockdown restrictions being eased), for the sole purpose of figuring out what we're missing. Better to find out after a single night and 50 miles from home, rather than on the continent for a week or two!

We've got our own personal list, but it's all based on hypothesis and assumption. So for those who are inducted into Hallf of Fame, what would you choose?

Bikerack?
Seat Covers?
Carpet?
Packing Cubes?
Matress Toppers?

If you were to 'do it all again', what would be that number one accessory you wish you had (and perhaps did?!) have from the very start?
Drive away awning and towbar.

Bikerack?
Seat Covers?
Carpet?
Packing Cubes?
Matress Toppers?

Monster mats for the front carpet are a must and save your light carpet from getting ruined in the lovely British wet weather. Think they’re about £55 but worth every penny.

we also bought two large storage boxes that fill the whole of the back boot space which allows you to fill with clothes and accessories when Going away And gives you quick and easy access to It as you just pull the box out
And put on the ground rather than lots of little odds and sods hanging around.

fold flat bbq/ fire pit from Aldi is great space saving and doubles for both and takes no room up as fits on top of storage boxes in the boot.
Finally we bought an outdoor revolution utility tent. Up in 6 minutes and 2m x 2m
Of space for loo and storage. We don’t use the drive away awning unless the kids come for extra sleeping as too bulky and takes too long to put up and down when travelling around

AE26BE1B-65B4-4EFF-B8F2-BDA8AA5DDF94.jpeg

D789AC96-8421-4EE0-9C03-188C3A202B35.jpeg

Back