Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The best addition to your California?

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just thought of something that is a big bonus for us. I have 2 stainless steel Thermos flasks that keep water seriously hot for 24 hours. Any water we boil that isn't used goes in them.

When we're camping I use my 1.5 ltr kellie kettle loads. As well as just for boiling water, cooking outside on top of it with the pot stand or starting/accelerating fuel for campfires or my Cobb. Storm kettles always must have water in them, so sometimes it's a happy bonus. Even if you are using it only for boiling water you can use free, foraged fuel, and boiling time is quick so it's worth doing a whole kettle and keeping some for later.

Our passenger seat stays facing forward as the dog's space so the flasks sit on the ledge when the seat's forward:
cali peg board..jpg

If we go out for the day, or are just on an overnight stopover, we boil the water at home and put the flasks in the back. Great for handwashing, especially at the mo.

Last edited:
Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Ikea Sunersta pots are really useful.

4 fit hooked in the back/top of the wardrobe permentently in situ using up dead space but storing odds and sods that you don't need all the time, like bug cream, emergency needle and thread, etc:
sunersta wardrobe.jpg
(The toothbrush holder is an Ikea tisken with suction cup on the mirror).

You can hang them from a Sunersta rail using Bigted's or other brackets and clip them on the little slide out blind with pockets next to the wardrobe in an Ocean. If you use Ikea Skadis pegboards you can clip them on to a top edge.

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
A device with Internet (though usually a given these days). For all the times when you need to find out something about the van and it's either not included in the user manual or the info in it isn't correct.

For example, last year the tyre pressure warning came on so we diligently stopped and topped up. Then we went to turn off the annoying warning, imagining it would be the same as our vw Polo, just a reset button in the glove box. After looking to no avail, I checked the manual and it says yes, there's a button in the glove box - simples. But there's not one and no other info in the book. So after sitting for 5 minutes getting more and more frustrated I thought to access these forums on the Internet. A quick search on here found that yes, the manual's incorrect but there's the non-logical way to do it through Cali's computer menu. Saved my sanity in the middle of a long drive at the start of our hols.

Also I have to always check how to pack away our pop up toilet/shower tent. It has the brains of a rocking horse! Another sanity saver. :D

H

HamishEeyore

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Although we love the sound of a whistling kettle boiling on gas we find it very useful to also take a small electric kettle. We use the gas when out and about and the electric kettle when hooked up - not to save money, but to enable the glass hob cover to be down giving some much appreciated worktop space. This only applies to the models with a split worktop. Taking 2 kettles does sound a bit crazy, but we find it worth it on balance.

Karlos

Karlos

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Although we love the sound of a whistling kettle boiling on gas we find it very useful to also take a small electric kettle. We use the gas when out and about and the electric kettle when hooked up - not to save money, but to enable the glass hob cover to be down giving some much appreciated worktop space. This only applies to the models with a split worktop. Taking 2 kettles does sound a bit crazy, but we find it worth it on balance.
we always have 2 kettles, one for gas and one electric. All eventualities covered.

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
we always have 2 kettles, one for gas and one electric. All eventualities covered.
Interesting. I take a kettle for gas and my Kellie kettle for outdoors. You can use free, foraged fuel (twigs, pinecones, dried dung, in fact anything solid you can set fire to, not spirit or gas) also purchased wood and charcoal.

Over flame it‘s very quick to boil and with accessories you can use it to cook on too (then the hot water is a happy bonus). It has its own firebox/stand but I also use it on my Charcoal Cobb oven/bbq/grill, just to boil water but also to start and accelerate the initial charcoal burn For cooking and it’s great to boil water with the last bit of oomph in the charcoal after a cook. It was a godsend at a festival when the dog had a bad tummy and all his bedding had to be washed. It’s also a great conversation starter, especially gratifying if a grumpy site warden comes over and grunts “you can’t use that thing here”, I just love it when I can show them it’s over bbq charcoal in an “allowed” charcoal bbq grill. ;)

Karlos

Karlos

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Interesting. I take a kettle for gas and my Kellie kettle for outdoors. You can use free, foraged fuel (twigs, pinecones, dried dung, in fact anything solid you can set fire to, not spirit or gas) also purchased wood and charcoal.

Over flame it‘s very quick to boil and with accessories you can use it to cook on too (then the hot water is a happy bonus). It has its own firebox/stand but I also use it on my Charcoal Cobb oven/bbq/grill, just to boil water but also to start and accelerate the initial charcoal burn For cooking and it’s great to boil water with the last bit of oomph in the charcoal after a cook. It was a godsend at a festival when the dog had a bad tummy and all his bedding had to be washed. It’s also a great conversation starter, especially gratifying if a grumpy site warden comes over and grunts “you can’t use that thing here”, I just love it when I can show them it’s over bbq charcoal in an “allowed” charcoal bbq grill. ;)
Good grief Elly, your van must weigh about 5 tons with all your gear.

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150

CD3B4F3F-F0B1-4346-9306-42ECC7028E74.jpeg

Erbster

Erbster

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
we are really liking your Foxy Journal, what a lovely idea.
Journal - lovely. We had one gif our previous van, but it was lost when the vehicle was stolen. I was particularly sad about that. If I started another journal, I would not keep it in the van (hence my blog; not quite as nice as a journal, I know)

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Journal - lovely. We had one gif our previous van, but it was lost when the vehicle was stolen. I was particularly sad about that. If I started another journal, I would not keep it in the van (hence my blog; not quite as nice as a journal, I know)

Sorry to hear about your journal, Erbster, but great to be reminded of your blog.

I really enjoyed the post on the solar panel fitting, something we’re thinking of at the mo, mainly to keep the fridge and gadgets going at festivals (think we must have been at Cropredy the same time as you. We were on the campsite by the canal bridge, opposite the shop).

Anyway, back to the solar panel. With it being easy to remove are you concerned about it being stolen?

Last edited:
ThomasHJ

ThomasHJ

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just thought of something that is a big bonus for us. I have 2 stainless steel Thermos flasks that keep water seriously hot for 24 hours. Any water we boil that isn't used goes in them.

When we're camping I use my 1.5 ltr kellie kettle loads. As well as just for boiling water, cooking outside on top of it with the pot stand or starting/accelerating fuel for campfires or my Cobb. Storm kettles always must have water in them, so sometimes it's a happy bonus. Even if you are using it only for boiling water you can use free, foraged fuel, and boiling time is quick so it's worth doing a whole kettle and keeping some for later.

Our passenger seat stays facing forward as the dog's space so the flasks sit on the ledge when the seat's forward:
View attachment 61852

If we go out for the day, or are just on an overnight stopover, we boil the water at home and put the flasks in the back. Great for handwashing, especially at the mo.
LOL we have the same net in the exact same place. For fruit and vegetables

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Sorry to hear about your journal, Erbster, but great to be reminded of your blog.

I really enjoyed the post on the solar panel fitting, something we’re thinking of at the mo, mainly to keep the fridge and gadgets going at festivals (think we must have been at Cropredy the same time as you. We were on the campsite by the canal bridge, opposite the shop).

Anyway, back to the solar panel. With it being easy to remove are you concerned about it being stolen?
Have never seen a post, on this Forum or others, of a Solar Panel being stolen.

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
LOL we have the same net in the exact same place. For fruit and vegetables
Bargain at Ikea. I was going to make one but saw these (I go round Ikea like a ninja, looking for things to hack for the van, drives my hubby crazy).
We use ours for fruit too. It reminds me of shopping bags my mum used to have, before the scourge of the plastic carrier.