Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The best addition to your California?

Glad to see your post gvick! We've picked up a Ridgemonkey already (looked like a swiss-army-knife of the cooking variety), as well as negotiating with the dealer on the OEM waterproof covers. Not the most comfortable (lots of sliding/slipping), but with a grubby handed 20mo daughter (and another due in November) we're no doubt going to need them!

We've grabbed a 25m - albeit doubting we'll need the full distance. But better be safe than sorry!

We'll add the cadac to our 2021 plans, i'm sure! Albeit the prerequisite is that I learn how to cook.....:D
In the UK you will rarely need anything like a 25m EHU cable, but on some of the ‘pack us in like sardines’ Italian Lake campsites, you may need every meter of the 25m to link Van to EHU. With hindsight we would have bought a 10m & 15m but probably only taken the longer on continental trips.

It’s our first night too! We bought the cubes to pack clothes- brilliant!
We don’t have an awning but will be buying one, very worried about the weather turning and all trashing the van (will be really handy to keep car seats and wellies In etc) Not ready to fork out £500 plus!! Anybody got recommendations? Would like air, drive away and small footprint and packed size- thanks
Anyway enjoy!

The best things you can pack are the following...

1 - This motto. If a item hasn’t been used within 3 successive camping trips. It’s removed as no longer required.
2 - Sliding rear rack under seat
3 - Collapse-able kettle

Bikerack - Atera ML2 tow ball rack

Seat covers .. 2 or 3 microfibre towels where the dog sits (rear bench) and none when no dog

Sheepskin rug ... have the yacht-type flooring

Packing cubes .... eBags

Mattress topper ..... comfort but looking long and hard at S2S SIM

White and sparking n the fridge, red in a case (s) in the boot
So - we bought our first California (2019 199 Ocean) last week, and like many of you i'm sure, we're like deers in the headlights when it comes to adding accessories. We've got a single night booked next weekend (4th July, so no doubt a feeding frenzy of folks when we arrive, given COVID-19 lockdown restrictions being eased), for the sole purpose of figuring out what we're missing. Better to find out after a single night and 50 miles from home, rather than on the continent for a week or two!

We've got our own personal list, but it's all based on hypothesis and assumption. So for those who are inducted into Hallf of Fame, what would you choose?

Bikerack?
Seat Covers?
Carpet?
Packing Cubes?
Matress Toppers?
Copious amounts of wine in the fridge?
Numerous other ideas that escape me!

If you were to 'do it all again', what would be that number one accessory you wish you had (and perhaps did?!) have from the very start?
Pull out tray in the back. Makes acces to stuff sooo much easier.

So - we bought our first California (2019 199 Ocean) last week, and like many of you i'm sure, we're like deers in the headlights when it comes to adding accessories. We've got a single night booked next weekend (4th July, so no doubt a feeding frenzy of folks when we arrive, given COVID-19 lockdown restrictions being eased), for the sole purpose of figuring out what we're missing. Better to find out after a single night and 50 miles from home, rather than on the continent for a week or two!

We've got our own personal list, but it's all based on hypothesis and assumption. So for those who are inducted into Hallf of Fame, what would you choose?

Bikerack?
Seat Covers?
Carpet?
Packing Cubes?
Matress Toppers?

If you were to 'do it all again', what would be that number one accessory you wish you had (and perhaps did?!) have from the very start?
I keep it simple as long as Ive got me walking boots and me little pal and some Hobgoblin, I don't need much else. Hate to drive anything that bangs of the the bump stops as you go down the road.

FA9FED40-5FBC-4B3E-A3B3-BAF59B624BEB_1_201_a.jpeg

diesel enables one to get off the driveway after lockdown and pull out rear tray saves the back.

Glad to see your post gvick! We've picked up a Ridgemonkey already (looked like a swiss-army-knife of the cooking variety), as well as negotiating with the dealer on the OEM waterproof covers. Not the most comfortable (lots of sliding/slipping), but with a grubby handed 20mo daughter (and another due in November) we're no doubt going to need them!

We've grabbed a 25m - albeit doubting we'll need the full distance. But better be safe than sorry!

We'll add the cadac to our 2021 plans, i'm sure! Albeit the prerequisite is that I learn how to cook.....:D
Long cable has been perfect as on occasions the hook up point has been a few pitches away

I’m thinking of the drawers, wondering how much space you lose.
I found we used the space much more efficiently and nothing got “stuck” at the back. Also I don’t have to empty everything for the item I want which is at the back. On first fitting it I thought we might have made a mistake, however now I have changed how I pack it would be one of my first purchases if we ever upgrade!

Monster mats for the front carpet are a must and save your light carpet from getting ruined in the lovely British wet weather. Think they’re about £55 but worth every penny.

we also bought two large storage boxes that fill the whole of the back boot space which allows you to fill with clothes and accessories when Going away And gives you quick and easy access to It as you just pull the box out
And put on the ground rather than lots of little odds and sods hanging around.

fold flat bbq/ fire pit from Aldi is great space saving and doubles for both and takes no room up as fits on top of storage boxes in the boot.
Finally we bought an outdoor revolution utility tent. Up in 6 minutes and 2m x 2m
Of space for loo and storage. We don’t use the drive away awning unless the kids come for extra sleeping as too bulky and takes too long to put up and down when travelling around

View attachment 62180

View attachment 62181
Loving the Palmerstons, will have them on my T6.1 Ocean - when it arrives........

I keep it simple as long as Ive got me walking boots and me little pal and some Hobgoblin, I don't need much else. Hate to drive anything that bangs of the the bump stops as you go down the road.

View attachment 62210
He/she is beautifull - Scooby is our first thing to 'pack' too...... And now he's got his own passport, he's going to learn some French.......

He/she is beautifull - Scooby is our first thing to 'pack' too...... And now he's got his own passport, he's going to learn some French.......
Photo please of Scooby
These are our 2 Bryher & Tean, named after islands of the Isles of Scilly.

08F537EA-4C0B-4B0E-BDF6-873285E4FA6E.jpeg

11953596-7D71-4EFC-8E73-5C35486DDBD3.jpeg

Bikerack?
Seat Covers?
Carpet?
Packing Cubes?
Matress Toppers?

I love the principle of less is more. Haven’t quite managed the practicality of it though with 2 5 year olds. But we’re only 1 year in and as many people have said, it’s a process of ongoing refinement.
What we find essential is a quick storage tent to put car seats in and anything else in the way of setting up the beds. We have a couple but the quickest is a queedo (quick palm I think) which is literally up in 10s. Not very waterproof but haven’t been washed out yet. We have a bigger one which could also hold a toilet or outside kitchen stuff if we don’t take an awning.
Internal pop-top liner is also great, but expensive. Brandrup Isotop.
Finally for me, as I can’t function without decent coffee in the morning, an aeropress. Great coffee maker, easy to clean and quick to use.

I love the principle of less is more. Haven’t quite managed the practicality of it though with 2 5 year olds. But we’re only 1 year in and as many people have said, it’s a process of ongoing refinement.
What we find essential is a quick storage tent to put car seats in and anything else in the way of setting up the beds. We have a couple but the quickest is a queedo (quick palm I think) which is literally up in 10s. Not very waterproof but haven’t been washed out yet. We have a bigger one which could also hold a toilet or outside kitchen stuff if we don’t take an awning.
Internal pop-top liner is also great, but expensive. Brandrup Isotop.
Finally for me, as I can’t function without decent coffee in the morning, an aeropress. Great coffee maker, easy to clean and quick to use.

+1 for aeropress, it’s perfect for the van. Just don’t forget a filter and try to use kitchen towel

Bikerack?
Seat Covers?
Carpet?
Packing Cubes?
Matress Toppers?

100% recommended getting an internal roof liner. Huge difference in chilly nights and also helps keep van cooler when it’s hot outside (creates an air barrier between the liner and the pop up sides). It doesn’t need to be removed to put roof up or down. Also a drive away awning.

Whats with the kitchen towel ??

Aero press has small paper filters, kitchen towel can be used as a backup if you run out or forget the filters.

You can also get a metal washable filter for the Aeropress. Just remember to not eject this into the bin!

For me best things I got were..... Windows tinted, put a curtain up behind seats and another shelf under the sink.

Now preparing for Spain and taking stuff out.... More is definitely less with a cali.....
Tell me more about that extra shelf? Did you get a piece of aluminium cut and some extra brackets?

+1 for aeropress, it’s perfect for the van. Just don’t forget a filter and try to use kitchen towel
Less is more is a nice idea and great if you can do it, but not one size fits all. Individuals have different needs be it children / dogs whatever so less is more is not practical for everyone, especially two 5 year olds :)

Fairy lights - 2 sets, one electric for when hooked up, and one battery! And a few bulldog clips - useful for all sorts.

Back