Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The continuing DVLA VED con trick.

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I sold our Cali recently. Unfortunately the date that it went to its new owner in Barry, South Wales, had to be Monday 31st July. Despite sending the V5c to the DVLA in the first class post (signed for) that same day, they say that they received it in Swansea, South Wales, (43 miles away) on Thursday 3rd August. As the vehicle was taxed until the end of September, I only received a VED refund for the month of September effectively loosing one months VED refund. The new owner was recorded with effect from the 31st July. So he also lost a months VED as he would have had to tax it from the 1st July. The Treasury have therefore gained an extra two months VED that they shouldn't be entitled to. Whilst under the current system it was always going to end this way, I can't help thinking that this is another dodgy way of extorting yet more easy money from the "cash cow" motorist.

Apart from it being a nice little earner for the Government, I cannot see a single reason why in 2017, VED refunds cannot be automatically calculated "per diem" by the DVLA from the actual day of transfer to the new owner. We no longer have preprinted VED discs that started at the beginning of each month so why why why aren't we only paying VED for the time that a vehicle is in our ownership. IMO the current system is another form of highway robbery and if it were ever tested in court it wouldn't surprise me if this practice was found to be illegal.

Come on DVLA you have had long enough to upgrade your systems to do this so stop robbing us.

Last edited:
Yep, my last buyer did the DVLA transfer online & it was instant. Exceptionally simple, to the point we checked he was good to go & a slip of confirmation arrived a few days later. Same with the van buyer...

One well-known large city council didn't open its post for 3 months once, apparently...

It's still a rip off as you can only get a refund of full months and you have to tax a vehicle from the start of a month.

Whenever you sell a secondhand car, you pay the tax to the end of month you sold it in, and your buyer has to pay again from the start of the same month, unless you do something with SORN.

I think you can transfer a V5 instantly online now....
I was pretty sure that it could be done as well. We did try to do it online in the new owners house but were unable to manage it. However even if we had been able to transfer ownership there and then, whilst I would have benefitted, the new owner would still have had to pay for VED from the beginning of July. As I had already paid VED for July the Treasury would still have received double bubble.

Come on DVLA you have had long enough to upgrade your systems to do this so stop robbing us.

I don't think it's dvla's 'systems' that is the issue, as others have said, their online service is instant and my recent experience was excellent.

Their inability refund on a per day basis will be through choice/policy.

I don't think it's dvla's 'systems' that is the issue, as others have said, their online service is instant and my recent experience was excellent.

Their inability refund on a per day basis will be through choice/policy.
Exactly!

Put into context the VED is minimal, how much was the Cali and how much was one months VED?

Put into context the VED is minimal, how much was the Cali and how much was one months VED?
Money is being taken from someone in an unfair way because it suits the government. It does not matter how much the vehicle cost.

Money is being taken from someone in an unfair way because it suits the government. It does not matter how much the vehicle cost.
If it bothers you that much, then do something about it. I've got better things to worry about than a few quid each time I change a vehicle.

If it bothers you that much, then do something about it. I've got better things to worry about than a few quid each time I change a vehicle.
I'm a bit busy to overthrow the Government this week but I will see if I can find a window next Wednesday. ;)

johnyboy said:
I think you can transfer a V5 instantly online now....
Yes but that still doesn't answer the question why they cannot tax from a specific day of the month and have to do it to the end. When you consider how many vehicles change hands in this country and each one is double taxed on the month of transfer they must be making a fortune. Furthermore why haven't the motoring organisations taken them to task over this?

It's still a rip off as you can only get a refund of full months and you have to tax a vehicle from the start of a month.

Whenever you sell a secondhand car, you pay the tax to the end of month you sold it in, and your buyer has to pay again from the start of the same month, unless you do something with SORN.

The DVLA scheme is a pure scam, nothing more, nothing less.

Yes but that still doesn't answer the question why they cannot tax from a specific day of the month and have to do it to the end. When you consider how many vehicles change hands in this country and each one is double taxed on the month of transfer they must be making a fortune. Furthermore why haven't the motoring organisations taken them to task over this?
They probably could. But then there would be a loss in revenue which would be compensated for by raising Road Taxi generally, probably on Diesel powered vehicles, which would affect everyone whereas at the moment it only affects those vehicles undergoing change of ownership.
In the past if you traded in a vehicle that had current road tax the garage would claim back unused road tax and charge the new owner for taxing the car on purchase, unless of course you kept the tax disc and claimed the unused road tax yourself, which many owners forgot to do.

When I purchased my previous car I had it delivered on the 23rd and it had 12 months plus 1 week VED.

I think that you specify the date when requesting the VED it suckers you into ticking the first of the month.
Not done it personally but have also taken delivery of HGV's with part month charges.

A vehicle must be on SORN if no valid VED payment has been made.

On the double charge issue I seem to recall the then Transport Minister saying "There will be a negligible number of cases of double charging". Usual waffling garbage.

They probably could. But then there would be a loss in revenue which would be compensated for by raising Road Taxi generally, probably on Diesel powered vehicles, which would affect everyone whereas at the moment it only affects those vehicles undergoing change of ownership.
In the past if you traded in a vehicle that had current road tax the garage would claim back unused road tax and charge the new owner for taxing the car on purchase, unless of course you kept the tax disc and claimed the unused road tax yourself, which many owners forgot to do.

Yes, and I guess the gubmint reckons that a small and sneaky extra 'take' when someone's just completed a much bigger transaction (selling/buying a used car) isn't going to very get many people riled up.

Was it ever thus. As Louis XIV's finance minister famously declared: “The art of taxation consists in so plucking the goose as to obtain the largest possible amount of feathers with the smallest possible amount of hissing.”

If you remember the DVLA is basically a tax revenue gatherer agency of the government - why be surprised.

Here in Ireland you get NO tax back so if you have 11 months you lose the lot, our Cali is as all Campers are here €102 tax a year, the same 2007 Caravelle is €1080 for the 2.5 and €710 for the 1.9.

You just renewed my VEL, but opted for six-months so that I can get 12-mths in April to stop the double hit of tax + insurance in the same month (and house insurance too!) The tax for a shorter period is £104, against £190 for 12-mths, quite a bit extra.
Didn't really look at monthly Direct Debit, but that hit must be higher - once again penalising those who struggle with their cash flow.
I'm lucky, I opted to pay a little extra to stagger the cost, rather than being forced to go for a shorter period.

Back