Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Mattresses!

Whitehouse_03

Whitehouse_03

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
So, we spent our first night in our Cali at the weekend and we definitely need to address the mattresses! Our local VW Cali technician told me today that you guys have a really good recommendation but he couldn’t remember the name of it. Does anyone know which product he may have been referring to?! Many thanks

We have a mattress that came with the van (must be a VW one just don’t know the name) that was a little too firm, we now also have the memory foam one from the VW forum shop. Takes up a little more room behind bench seat but definitely more comfortable.

We use a very (well relatively) inexpensive solution of two Thermarest self-inflating camp mattesses on top of the bed upstairs. There is a simple joining kit so the stay together and we cover them with a soft mattress cover. We use them half deflated and they provide just enough cushion top on the harder mattress. Not sure of current prices and we have had them for 20 years as part of basic camping stuff. Technically we could leave them up there as they deflate to a couple of mm, but we roll them up and use them as packing around our folding bike when it is on the floor of the van and travelling.

We use a spare winter single duvet, similarly to CDinFrance's solution this softens the existing mattress. We store the thick and also thinner top duvet in a mesh dive style bag (very breathable) behind the back seat when traveling, rolled up as a pair then unrolled as one. We find it the most comfortable bed we have.

Thanks. I’ll take a look. Do you have any experience of one? Would you rate it?
We have the Zonesleep.it is a big improvement on what VW provided. Sort of foam on the top with a clever net mesh under, to give support and ventilation I assume. When travelling Mrs D Of H rolls it up and puts it on the rear mattress behind the back seat. She says that it is a bit bulky but she soon got the hang of it.

We have the Zonesleep.it is a big improvement on what VW provided. Sort of foam on the top with a clever net mesh under, to give support and ventilation I assume. When travelling Mrs D Of H rolls it up and puts it on the rear mattress behind the back seat. She says that it is a bit bulky but she soon got the hang of it.
Thank you. That’s helpful

We have the Comfortz memory foam topper from the forum shop on the bed downstairs. Very comfortable. Folds up onto the parcel shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have the Zonesleep but find it too hard to sleep on and have bought a Dunelm topper to go on top of the Zonesleep and the combination gives pain free nights for us.

We use Duvalays which are a bit like a cross between a duvet and a sleeping bag. They have a memory foam base (you can get two thicknesses). These we find very comfortable either downstairs or upstairs. We have the thinner mattresses. See

https://www.duvalay.co.uk/Campervans

We have the Zonesleep but find it too hard to sleep on and have bought a Dunelm topper to go on top of the Zonesleep and the combination gives pain free nights for us.
That’s a shame the zonesleeper isn’t enough on its own. It gets expensive!

Seems to be a never ending search for the right combination but best so far for me is VW comfort mattress (that came with the van) with a single Dunelm teddy fleece mattress topper and all encased in a single jersey stretch sheet. Means it can all still be folded up easily and the sheet holds the topper in place.

That’s a shame the zonesleeper isn’t enough on its own. It gets expensive!
It's not just the expense, I really wanted a solution where the upstairs mattress could be stored in situ but now we have to store the Dunelm topper behind the rear seat.

It's not just the expense, I really wanted a solution where the upstairs mattress could be stored in situ but now we have to store the Dunelm topper behind the rear seat.
I too have a similar issue - bought the Zonesleep thinking that the combination of the original and the Zonesleep would be enough. Now thinking that the Thermarest option would be the best providing a more flexible option and possibly being able to leave them deflated when the roof is closed.

I found the supplied lower "vw comfort" mattress, not very comfortable when I slept head-to-tailgate. However, when I sleep head-to-cab, it's perfect. Not sue what direction, or if upper or lower bed you used on your first night away. So, might be worth experimenting a bit further before making a new purchase.

I too have a similar issue - bought the Zonesleep thinking that the combination of the original and the Zonesleep would be enough. Now thinking that the Thermarest option would be the best providing a more flexible option and possibly being able to leave them deflated when the roof is closed.
Did you leave the zonesleep and original in situ? I was hoping the zonesleep maybe enough on its own but now I’m thinking both...

I think some of the comfort issues depend on weight. I bought zone sleeps but now selling because they couldn’t cope with my (as my daughter delicately put it) Father Christmas frame. I now use a Fat Airic with as much or as little air as required.

Using two memory foam mattress toppers currently. Might try the self inflating mattress options next!

It is interesting because I find the original mattress very comfortable but I know many others don't.

I have a a comfortz for downstairs which is great and will be making a video taking a look at the Zonesleep very soon for the club which will allow folk to take a look at it.