Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The modern world.

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Once upon a time I got my backside out of bed, looked out of the window, thought "nice day, I will go and do something" and went and did it.

This morning I got my backside out of bed, looked out of the window and thought "A morning at the gym and a light run afterwards".

Hold on, I need to charge my fitbit up, USB into my laptop.

Wait, I need to charge my Garmin GPS watch up .... other USB occupied.

If I'm going out then my phone needs charging .... lightning cable to wall socket.

but, hold on, my Garmin watch downloads via bluetooth to my I-Pad, another lightning cable into a USB wall socket, I Pad on charge

Right, ready for the gym.... NO! Wait!.... I need my headphones for that sort of stuff.... other laptop, I-Pod plugged in.

OK... with the place looking like a nuclear generating plant I'm about ready .... er.... not quite, two laptops to put on charge just in case....

At last, with sparks leaping out the local area distribution box I'm ready. "Now, where did I put my shoes .....:shocked

Was just saying to my wife yesterday , we get impulses from all arround every minute of the day : tv , computer,phone,tablet, ...not even counting the normal things in life like work , kids , householding,....and we get triggerd every 5 minutes.
To get peace of mind one needs to turn all those thing off and away.
One of the reasons i do not like a TV in a Cali or campervan.
I like to go away and absorb the place we go to , just sitting in the Cali on a rainy day looking outside to me much more peace of mind than putting on the TV.
Internet we have on trips but i try to use it less possible.

Last edited:
Oh GJ I know what you mean! When we had a power outage in the big storm recently, the house got back to speed fairly quickly when we got reconnected, but the computers/broadband/wifi wouldn't work. My husband was, as usual, marauding around Africa somewhere with only typy WhatsApp for communication as there wasn't enough signal strength for a proper conversation and it turned into a complete nightmare.

I discovered that all the little winking lights hiding in the corners of many of the rooms in our house are something to do with the internet and none of the damn things work without the input of said husband, who was away for another 4 days. My son and I rapidly realised that there was very little we could do without the computers/phones. He couldn't do his A level studying, I had a panic because I run all the personal and business banking very tight and move things around on a daily basis. I couldn't even pop round to a friend's house and do anything online because, as recommended by the experts, I've got different passwords for all the various accounts and they are stored in a secret location in a passworded file on the computer server somewhere which was also inaccessible. It was a complete nightmare.

When he got back home and I asked for a TQM manual on what to do if it ever happened again, we had an almighty row and I'm still none the wiser. I don't want to go back to the 'old days' where you had to go the library if you wanted to find out who was King in April 1786 or what was the name of that bloke who was in the Monkees and looked like my friend Nigel's brother or whatever, and google is a brilliant thing, but I can't believe how completely hopeless we were when just one hour of power outage screwed us for days. Thank goodness the husband wasn't on one of his normal 3 week trips!

Btw my fitbit has to go back to John Lewis tomorrow as it's bust and I don't know when my replacement will come. How will I cope without knowing how many steps I ran this morning of what my average heart rate was??!! These are the things which I wish I had never got into, but now I've started I just can't stop .....

Btw my fitbit has to go back to John Lewis tomorrow as it's bust and I don't know when my replacement will come. How will I cope without knowing how many steps I ran this morning of what my average heart rate was??!! These are the things which I wish I had never got into, but now I've started I just can't stop .....

Life is a nightmare! I didn't know whether to feel full of beans or totally knackered this morning as my fitbit had run out of power and couldn't tell me what sort of night's sleep I had :sad

Saturday I had to abandon my run as my Garmin had lost GPS signal and I never knew how far I was running!

Just back from the gym and was forced to watch Tottenham Hotspur play Southampton on the big screen because my earphones were still at home being charged :shocked

What are we like??!! I constantly swear at my fitbit in the morning as it'll tell me I had quite a good night and I know I've been awake for hours on end. If I put it on normal setting it thinks I sleep like a baby unless I walk around, if I put it on sensitive it tells me I've not slept at all. The completely ridiculous thing is, I KNOW if I've had a good night's sleep (rare) or not - WHY DO I NEED A FITBIT TO TELL ME? I think it's just so when I have a mardy face in the morning I can show it to my husband and say 'look - that's why I'm tired and grumpy, and by the way I was wandering around at 2.15am because you did a huge fart which woke up almost everyone in our street except YOU!!!'. [Let it be said at this point that I adore my husband, and his prowess at passing wind is a constant source of amazement for all our family. It takes all sorts. :) ]

I'm on one of those running forum's where everyone likes to post screenshots of their GPS watch telling everyone that they've run a "quick 20" today in a time that Paula Radcliffe would be proud of.

Now given that Granny is giving herself about three days to finish the marathon I am reluctant to post my data.

However I do have a very scatty Weimaraner so a couple of months ago she wore my Garmin for me :sad

It took a few a while to wonder how Granny had run around in circles for miles at a pace that would shatter lots of world records :D

Don't put yourself down! I'm also on one of those forums. My garmin is strictly for me and I never post anything like a screen shot as people would laugh. I only do 5k 3x per week at a speed which is barely faster than walking. It's better than sitting on the sofa eating biscuits though and it means I can eat pudding without turning into a blimp :)