Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Modifications to your Cali Thread

I've had the VW -30mm springs on from almost new and covered 43,000 miles on them with no problems. I've also fitted rear spoiler, VW chrome side bars (from new), wind deflectors, VW DRL's, Vanstyle lower grille, Sportline lower lip spoiler/splitter, 18" Canberra wheels, retrofitted bi-xenon headlights and washers, Golf GTI flat bottom steering wheel with paddle shifters, colour MFD instrument cluster, RNS510 sat nav, footwell lights, a cover for the hob and a chrome internal loading strip from a Caravelle Executive. Whilst it's quite a lot of modifications, the van still looks stock/OEM and subtle to me. I'll have it for many years yet.
Love those mods. some have been on my wish list for years.

Did you retrofit the colour MFD display? Do you think it’s worth the cost?

The Dash USB came from ebay search
Genuine OEM VW Transporter T5.1 (09+) Dash Blanks modified with TWIN USB port
not cheap however at £25 quid but does the job and looks the part There are also single ones at £21. There were 9 left this morning but I suspect they appear regularly.

Good luck with the project

Nice job. Do you have a DAB radio? I ask because I fitted some USB sockets a few years ago and it ruined the reception on the DAB. The van was still under warranty at the time and the dealer actually changed the whole headunit thinking it was that. I discovered later that it was the USB sockets causing the interference.

Glad you like it. I don't have DAB and to be honest haven't taken the cali anywhere since installation. Thanks for the tip though a DAB radio is possibly on the for the future.

Love those mods. some have been on my wish list for years.

Did you retrofit the colour MFD display? Do you think it’s worth the cost?
Hi apologies for late reply.... yes it was a retrofit. I love the colour MFD I think it makes a huge difference to the overall 'ambience' of the interior but plenty of people don't care as it shows the same info. It's not worth the money if you were to sell the van but if you plan to keep it for me it's worth every penny. But at the end of the day it doesn't add any functionality, just aesthetics.

Just of Pixels website so much on there, so hard to choose.
I agree it's virtually impossible to choose. We just got round to doing this today after thinking we might not like the look of it. I was very unsure when it arrived. Thought it was too light, the pattern too big, the yellow too brown...but decided sod it, we might as well go for it! Luckily enough we like it.

HBtiRJ34Q+qXqQ%CYnkRDQ.jpg

Update.
Finally lowered the suspension today. I know, only took a couple of years...
Anyway.
Koni shocks all round, H&R 40mm springs.

Thoughts,
damping is very similar to stock, which I thought was pretty smooth and is great considering it’s a lot lower than what it was from standard.
Most importantly, it feels a lot more planted in the corners. Definitely less body roll.

Early days, so far so good.
Here’s a before and after. Yep, needs another clean.

24378827-03C7-48B3-9DE8-5E9A375406A4.jpeg

Update.
Finally lowered the suspension today. I know, only took a couple of years...
Anyway.
Koni shocks all round, H&R 40mm springs.

Thoughts,
damping is very similar to stock, which I thought was pretty smooth and is great considering it’s a lot lower than what it was from standard.
Most importantly, it feels a lot more planted in the corners. Definitely less body roll.

Early days, so far so good.
Here’s a before and after. Yep, needs another clean.

View attachment 74591
Looks good, that’s made a big difference :thumb
I can recommend the VW Carbon front spoiler if you fancy something on the front.
9441A6D0-E137-4733-84CB-C93196C41970.jpeg

Looks good, that’s made a big difference :thumb
I can recommend the VW Carbon front spoiler if you fancy something on the front.
View attachment 74593

Yeah, looks good.
What make is it...?

Debating side bars too.
Thinking the old school Sportsline fat bars. I think possibly chrome looks best...

Yeah, looks good.
What make is it...?

Debating side bars too.
Thinking the old school Sportsline fat bars. I think possibly chrome looks best...
It’s from “VW Carbon” they do gloss black or carbon fibre, which is what I have. Also have the carbon fibre rear bumper protector which looks good.
I prefer the angled side bars as they suit the T6 better IMO.
I would say that though ;)

@Mr T is the splitter a do it yourself job...?
Does it simply screw to the existing bumper...?

@Mr T is the splitter a do it yourself job...?
Does it simply screw to the existing bumper...?
Yeah I did it myself. It's a bit awkward, I put the Cali up on my fiamma ramps, dropped the undertray off and then clamped the splitter in place with some plastic quick release clamps, as you need to drill through the clearance holes in the splitter into the underside of the bumper to bolt it on. Have to be careful you don't catch the wiring loom that runs along inside the bumper - no big deal, you can find it with you hand and make sure it's out of the way. M6 bolts supplied from memory.
Outer edge bolts are a bit more difficult to put in place due to other trim, but a doable driveway mod nonetheless.

Yeah I did it myself. It's a bit awkward, I put the Cali up on my fiamma ramps, dropped the undertray off and then clamped the splitter in place with some plastic quick release clamps, as you need to drill through the clearance holes in the splitter into the underside of the bumper to bolt it on. Have to be careful you don't catch the wiring loom that runs along inside the bumper - no big deal, you can find it with you hand and make sure it's out of the way. M6 bolts supplied from memory.
Outer edge bolts are a bit more difficult to put in place due to other trim, but a doable driveway mod nonetheless.

Nice front end change, think Doris would appreciate a face lift !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update.
Last week I had to drive 400 miles, so got to give the new setup a test. Mixed driving motorway country lanes.

So, the ride is firmer.
To be expected it’s lowered...

It’s not bad, but i am missing the plush ride of the standard springs.
Body roll s gone. It drives so much flatter and this is the way the van should come as standard.

The firmer ride isn’t to bad, the new shocks and springs do a good job of damping. However, I’m actually missing the previous clearance I had.
One road I drive quite often has some major speed bumps.
On standard springs the van drove over them with ease. I’m now having to slow much more being lowered.

So at present unsure wether to stick with this setup or revert back to standard.
Stance looks far better and the body not rolling all over the place is great too.

Im actually wondering about going full swamper style now, (tweaked) or maybe even standard suspension and seeing if ARB’s could be retro fitted then adding swamper style wheels...
Not sure

Update.
Last week I had to drive 400 miles, so got to give the new setup a test. Mixed driving motorway country lanes.

So, the ride is firmer.
To be expected it’s lowered...

It’s not bad, but i am missing the plush ride of the standard springs.
Body roll s gone. It drives so much flatter and this is the way the van should come as standard.

The firmer ride isn’t to bad, the new shocks and springs do a good job of damping. However, I’m actually missing the previous clearance I had.
One road I drive quite often has some major speed bumps.
On standard springs the van drove over them with ease. I’m now having to slow much more being lowered.

So at present unsure wether to stick with this setup or revert back to standard.
Stance looks far better and the body not rolling all over the place is great too.

Im actually wondering about going full swamper style now, (tweaked) or maybe even standard suspension and seeing if ARB’s could be retro fitted then adding swamper style wheels...
Not sure
I would be interest to know do you think the fuel consumption is lower?
One thing I really notice over my caddy maxi camper is the amount of extra body roll with the California and so a less constant speed can be carried though corners so more accelerating with more fuel.
I also wondered if uprated antiroll bars might be the answer.

With the increased top weight of a Cali (roof, bed, awning, trim etc) over that of a standard van, which is what it started production life, I consider the uprated ARB's as essential.
Certainly noticed a big improvement on mine after fitment when driving back home.

With the increased top weight of a Cali (roof, bed, awning, trim etc) over that of a standard van, which is what it started production life, I consider the uprated ARB's as essential.
Certainly noticed a big improvement on mine after fitment when driving back home.
I like to keep the ride height which is useful, ARB's sound like a good comprise to reduce body roll.
Wonder if this will improve the tyre wear ?,
The first set of ER300's only lasted 8500 on the front although I only drove 4500 of those miles.
The new vectors seem to be wearing much better, that could be down the driving style and / or the tyres.