Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Modifications to your Cali Thread

I like to keep the ride height which is useful, ARB's sound like a good comprise to reduce body roll.
Wonder if this will improve the tyre wear ?,
The first set of ER300's only lasted 8500 on the front although I only drove 4500 of those miles.
The new vectors seem to be wearing much better, that could be down the driving style and / or the tyres.
Very debatable as you may then go faster at roundabouts and corners.

I had Nokian Weatherproof tyres (all season) on, which only wore by 1.5mm in over 8,000 miles.
4 Motion not 2WD. Which suggests the better traction of this tread results in longer life span.

I would be interest to know do you think the fuel consumption is lower?
One thing I really notice over my caddy maxi camper is the amount of extra body roll with the California and so a less constant speed can be carried though corners so more accelerating with more fuel.
I also wondered if uprated antiroll bars might be the answer.

I can’t see any difference Phillip.
To be honest a quick blast of the diesel heater would negate any fuel savings.
Can’t say I’m driving quicker through the corners anyway, as it’s still a van. But it’s a lot nicer, with less movement...

I agree it's virtually impossible to choose. We just got round to doing this today after thinking we might not like the look of it. I was very unsure when it arrived. Thought it was too light, the pattern too big, the yellow too brown...but decided sod it, we might as well go for it! Luckily enough we like it.

View attachment 59221
Funny to see this, as I have the exact same pattern. However, we did contact Pixers when it arrived, because the pattern we received was much bigger then it looked on the website. They reprinted it without making any trouble and send us a new sticker, but this time with the pattern in smaller size.

With the increased top weight of a Cali (roof, bed, awning, trim etc) over that of a standard van, which is what it started production life, I consider the uprated ARB's as essential.
Certainly noticed a big improvement on mine after fitment when driving back home.
Good to hear. Did you only fit the ARBs, or change the shocks/springs too? I am sure I'll fit the ARBs, but have DCC so not much can be done about the shocks/springs.

Update.
Last week I had to drive 400 miles, so got to give the new setup a test. Mixed driving motorway country lanes.

So, the ride is firmer.
To be expected it’s lowered...

It’s not bad, but i am missing the plush ride of the standard springs.
Body roll s gone. It drives so much flatter and this is the way the van should come as standard.

The firmer ride isn’t to bad, the new shocks and springs do a good job of damping. However, I’m actually missing the previous clearance I had.
One road I drive quite often has some major speed bumps.
On standard springs the van drove over them with ease. I’m now having to slow much more being lowered.

So at present unsure wether to stick with this setup or revert back to standard.
Stance looks far better and the body not rolling all over the place is great too.

Im actually wondering about going full swamper style now, (tweaked) or maybe even standard suspension and seeing if ARB’s could be retro fitted then adding swamper style wheels...
Not sure
I have H&R ARB fitted to a T5.1, 4motion. Standard springs and dampers. Turn in is quicker/sharper and roll reduced. Less prone to understeer. Feels safer than standard. I recommend them.

I have H&R ARB fitted to a T5.1, 4motion. Standard springs and dampers. Turn in is quicker/sharper and roll reduced. Less prone to understeer. Feels safer than standard. I recommend them.

Where did you get this done Bobby and roughly what’s the price...?

Where did you get this done Bobby and roughly what’s the price...?
Cost is around £350 depending where you purchase. I can't remember where I bought mine. They were fitted by Moorfields German Motors, Yeadon, Nr. Leeds. They do a lot of tuning on er..., German motors in addition to regular repair/service/mot work. They fitted my new cfca engine in 2019.

I can’t see any difference Phillip.
To be honest a quick blast of the diesel heater would negate any fuel savings.
Can’t say I’m driving quicker through the corners anyway, as it’s still a van. But it’s a lot nicer, with less movement...
aye, I miss the steady 50mpg of the caddy, with less care and faster, same roads the California is more like 37-40mpg trip 2 on a tank, actual mpg with the heater use is 34mpg.
These are highland twisty roads, in winter. We do better on longer trips on better roads !

Back in the, is it under 2m or not club.
Couldn’t get on with the lowered suspension. It was annoying me silly.
So, might look at the swamper stylee instead...

Lowered
2AD23CE7-CAC0-48E3-BF9D-F18E06C9DA86.jpeg

Back to normal (boring)

C7F10076-20E1-47B7-AFF8-C0B05F838D65.jpeg

Anyone painted their callipers...???

Sorry to hear that. What was annoying you, anything in particular?

Just found the ride too hard @Mr T
It wasn’t awful, I’ve sat in worse. But prefer the smooth ride of a standard Cali setup.
Think the springs were 40mm. We measured today and he seemed to think that with the weight in the Cali it’s close to a 60mm drop. Which at the end of the day, is never gonna be as comfortable as standard.

Maybe I’ve gone soft in my old age. But with the state of the roads, I want something easier to live with.

Watch this space, possibly BFGs coming soon. A complete opposite direction...

88B3B248-9239-4316-878E-46EAF8D90E68.jpeg

It wasn’t awful, I’ve sat in worse. But prefer the smooth ride of a standard Cali setup.
Think the springs were 40mm. We measured today and he seemed to think that with the weight in the Cali it’s close to a 60mm drop. Which at the end of the day, is never gonna be as comfortable as standard.

Maybe I’ve gone soft in my old age. But with the state of the roads, I want something easier to live with.

View attachment 75689
Looks like you could take on anything in that!

Back in the, is it under 2m or not club.
Couldn’t get on with the lowered suspension. It was annoying me silly.
So, might look at the swamper stylee instead...

Lowered
View attachment 75687

Back to normal (boring)

View attachment 75688
I fitted KW Street Comfort Coilovers (https://www.kwsuspensions.co.uk/products/coilovers/street_comfort) - they're marketed as delivering a comfortable ride but with a lower ride height (adjustable) and more sporty characteristics. I have to say they're pretty comfortable, not at all harsh or jarring and the van stays flat on corners. The only interesting characteristic that I haven't managed to dial out (via the adjustable damping) is a slight and rapid oscillation after coming to an abrupt halt (maybe 2 or 3 cycles). I believe this is in the tyres rather than the suspension. I live with this as it's not that noticeable and I like the looks and enhanced driving dynamics.

View attachment 75689
Thats interesting as I was under the misunderstanding that one of the reasons why people had them lowered was to give a better ride & road holding!? Ive clearly a lot to learn!

Thats interesting as I was under the misunderstanding that one of the reasons why people had them lowered was to give a better ride & road holding!? Ive clearly a lot to learn!
Me too....I get easily lost in the threads discussing springs/ARBs/coilovers/B14's etc and don't understand all the technical jargon! One day I'll figure it out ....probably not any time soon though ;)

Me too....I get easily lost in the threads discussing springs/ARBs/coilovers/B14's etc and don't understand all the technical jargon! One day I'll figure it out ....probably not any time soon though ;)
I decided to opt out of all that and spec the Dynamic Chassis Control. Real suspension heads will scoff that I should have upgraded coilovers, springs and ARBs instead (and I might still upgrade the ARBs, though I've seen an ominous set of new ARBs for sale on here recently...), but I hope it will solve some of the handling problems, I've heard good things from forum members.

Ok,
will try and answer a few questions here.

So I went for the up-rated Koni shocks with H&R lowering springs fitted at CRS Performance.

Lowering is subjective, but personally I didn’t think they were as comfortable as claimed.
They weren’t terrible to be fair, just a bit to hard for my taste. Not helped with the state of our road system.
They van definitely looked better lowered. Body control was better, less wallowing.

But for everyday use and considering I regularly drive on gravel/rough tracks, it wasn’t for me.

If you want to reduce body-roll, perhaps the ARBs would be the best avenue.
Coil overs B14s that are raved about will lower a vehicle too and have great reviews. But no lowered vehicle can ever be as comfortable as the standard suspension. It basically defies physics to have a lowered suspension and maximum comfort. It’s not possible.

I’ve lowered a T4 and T5 in the past. Again only moderate drops, but they were never as comfortable as a standard suspension setup. I was happy with lowered in my previous vans, however I’ve matured some over the years...

So you need to work out for yourself wether your willing to put up with a (slightly harder ride) lowered van, as with anything there are pros and cons.
One persons comfort is another persons discomfort.

Bet your pretty lost now, ay ;)
:Iamsorry

So I went for the up-rated Koni shocks with H&R lowering springs fitted at CRS Performance.
Have you gone back completely to stock? Or just put stock springs with uprated shocks and ARBs?

Ok,
will try and answer a few questions here.

Lowering is subjective, but personally I didn’t think they were as comfortable as claimed.
They weren’t terrible to be fair, just a bit to hard for my taste. Not helped with the state of our road system.
They van definitely looked better lowered. Body control was better, less wallowing.

But for everyday use and considering I regularly drive on gravel/rough tracks, it wasn’t for me.

If you want to reduce body-roll, perhaps the ARBs would be the best avenue.
Coil overs B14s that are raved about will lower a vehicle too and have great reviews. But no lowered vehicle can ever be as comfortable as the standard suspension. It basically defies physics to have a lowered suspension and maximum comfort. It’s not possible.

I’ve lowered a T4 and T5 in the past. Again only moderate drops, but they were never as comfortable as a standard suspension setup. I was happy with lowered in my previous vans, however I’ve matured some over the years...

So you need to work out for yourself wether your willing to put up with a (slightly harder ride) lowered van, as with anything there are pros and cons.
One persons comfort is another persons discomfort.

Bet your pretty lost now, ay ;)
:Iamsorry
Yep! ;)

Have you gone back completely to stock? Or just put stock springs with uprated shocks and ARBs?

Kept the Koni shocks on and put the original California springs in.
My van is 4 years old and 35k miles. Thought I may as well get the use out of the newer shock absorbers.

I don’t have ARBs yet, but they’re a consideration going forward.