Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The New Beach "kitchen" and retrofitting

Why do beach owners buy those expensive 907 bottles?
I showed in a different thread that bought well, the gas in those '£1' cannisters available in every supermarket are cheaper than 907s bought in the UK. So I'm puzzled too why folks would pick a 907 and a separate burner (and probably carry a spare 907 for if the first runs out) over a £12 cartridge stove that sits nice and flat, takes up 1/3 of the room, 1/5 of the weight. If you are running a double stove / cadac outside I understand, but we are talking about the single burner, fixed inside a Beach.

We have three 907's on the go. One in each of our two vehicles both complete with the full picnic gear. The third is in the shed and runs our large gas Cadac BBQ. These cylinders are a legacy from our SE owning days.

I prefer using them over the small throw away canisters firstly because they last for ages but more importantly, I've never been happy about having a pierced LPG canister in my van, albeit held in place inside a stove. The cost is secondary.

We have three 907's on the go. One in each of our two vehicles both complete with the full picnic gear. The third is in the shed and runs our large gas Cadac BBQ. These cylinders are a legacy from our SE owning days.

I prefer using them over the small throw away canisters firstly because they last for ages but more importantly, I've never been happy about having a pierced LPG canister in my van, albeit held in place inside a stove. The cost is secondary.
I was using my portable stove under the awning last week in Austria when flames appeared from the valve area of the LPG canister, exciting but so glad it wasn't in the van at the time. That these cheap canister's are relying on an equally cheap valve/seal to prevent such leaks makes me a little nervous now.

Those canisters that @2into1 mentions are EN417 type and are screw fit with a valve not piercing. 56 cans on amazon works out at £4.60 a kilo compared with Campingaz at over £13 a kilo

We use a Gas Cobb for cooking + Vango ultralight for a quick kettle boil, both take EN417.

Those canisters that @2into1 mentions are EN417 type and are screw fit with a valve not piercing. 56 cans on amazon works out at £4.60 a kilo compared with Campingaz at over £13 a kilo
For clarity, I'm referring to these cannisters
bl_000219_z.jpeg
To put in this £12 stove
bl_258605_a.jpeg
The cannisters at Black's where I pinched the photo from are £2 each but unbranded ones can usually be found for £1 each at supermarkets / petrol stations. Although I think they are cost effective, it's their wide availability, light weight, and stable cooker design that keeps me banging on about them ;). Also, if you take three with you and have used two, you know exact where you are, which is very difficult with a 907 unless you are carrying scales as well.

Cadac Chef pro is our weapon of choice - you can cook pretty much anything. Obvious ugly wouldn’t use this in the van, so many a bbq in the rain under an umbrella. Coleman (and no doubt other makes) do various EN417 canisters, some of which work even when it is sub-zero temp!

I see. I thought we were talking about the disposable C206 canisters. I'll get my coat.

For clarity, I'm referring to these cannisters
View attachment 50569
To put in this £12 stove
View attachment 50570
The cannisters at Black's where I pinched the photo from are £2 each but unbranded ones can usually be found for £1 each at supermarkets / petrol stations. Although I think they are cost effective, it's their wide availability, light weight, and stable cooker design that keeps me banging on about them ;). Also, if you take three with you and have used two, you know exact where you are, which is very difficult with a 907 unless you are carrying scales as well.
I've actually got one of those stoves somewhere. Whilst it would be ideal for just the two of us, we have a large family incl 8 grand children. Hence the seven seat Beach. Accordingly, we often take our Cadac Carri Chef cooker with us. The 907 is ideal to fuel that as well.
Screenshot_20190920-202706_Samsung Internet.jpg

Is that the (end of the) 2 seater bench storage box also pictured? If so that is a different shape to the original one. Presumably because the new side trim is deeper. I would also hope the box is only 3 sided inside or your going to lose a lot of the storage space.
The box is the same but different. The hinge is now on the long side against the side panel instead of being on the short (rearward facing) side.

We use the 907 camping gaz cylinders for our rather large paella pan (not in the cali).
Our local tip has a section for old gas cylinders. I noticed that someone had left a 907 cylinder there so I asked if I could take it - no problems.... it even had some gas in.

Have got 2 extras this way. As long as the old cylinder is functional you get a replacement when you buy a full cylinder but only pay for the gas.

Those Campingaz bottles are a devastating waste on the environment ....!!!

I wouldn’t use them based on that fact alone, secondly never liked the connection compared to the 907 equipment either. Seen plenty with issues of leakage.

My last 907 bottle has lasted over 12 months. You can weigh it and work out roughly what’s left. But to be fair, connect and forget. They last so long you never need to worry.

I do too, but our recent trip has made us really think about how we use our beach.

We mostly cook outside and used our Slidepod quite a lot over our 3 week trip but mostly for porridge, soup, tea etc. When the weather is bad however the beach can suddenly feel quite claustrophobic (I'm sure the ocean is no different). We use a Alpkit to make tea even outside but it can be used inside but cooking is a different matter we dont want to store extra cookers just in case, we are trying to travel as light as possible. This gets around all the issues we've had in bad weather plus I just love the design.

Sounds like you in the market for an Ocean Matt...?
You would be amazed how much easier life becomes in the Ocean. Especially in bad weather, it makes life a lot easier...

Might be time for you to step over into the dark side...;)

I see what you did there...;)

Sounds like you in the market for an Ocean Matt...?
You would be amazed how much easier life becomes in the Ocean. Especially in bad weather, it makes life a lot easier...

Might be time for you to step over into the dark side...;)

I went the opposite way. I don’t think there is a perfect solution unless you’re made of money!

Those Campingaz bottles are a devastating waste on the environment ....!!!

Devastating? That's a bit strong isn't it? I would prefer to use something that doesn't use throw away cannisters but I've yet to find anything that's as convenient for a Beach (for use inside and outside)

I can assure you not a lot of metal items get thrown away, yes they may end up in a bin, but most metals are recovered and recycled, unlike plastics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just prior to our trip to France some builder had dumped a small amount rubbish in the road next to out house part of the rubbish was a very dirty 907 cylinder which I pick up.
Exchange it next day for a new one full of gas for £25.00 help by my sons contacts at GT towing. Happy days.

Just prior to our trip to France some builder had dumped a small amount rubbish in the road next to out house part of the rubbish was a very dirty 907 cylinder which I pick up.
Exchange it next day for a new one full of gas for £25.00 help by my sons contacts at GT towing. Happy days.

That what I’ve been charged for a refill.
Seems cheap enough...

I am sorely tempted once the new 6.1 beach is released to see if the the "kitchen" can be retrofitted. VW are renowned for trying change as little as possible to keep costs in check. I wouldn't be surprised if the part fitted straight in place of the current one, or maybe i am just being hopeful. As VW are doing several beach models with the same base vehicle it may be the same pattern.

I don't use the upper pockets and cup holders much so wouldn't miss them.

May be steep though, the plastic parts normally arent too bad but the cooker may be eye watering. Hoping they do release the beach in the UK so I can get a look at one and compare.
C
I am sorely tempted once the new 6.1 beach is released to see if the the "kitchen" can be retrofitted. VW are renowned for trying change as little as possible to keep costs in check. I wouldn't be surprised if the part fitted straight in place of the current one, or maybe i am just being hopeful. As VW are doing several beach models with the same base vehicle it may be the same pattern.

I don't use the upper pockets and cup holders much so wouldn't miss them.

May be steep though, the plastic parts normally arent too bad but the cooker may be eye watering. Hoping they do release the beach in the UK so I can get a look at one and compare.
cooking in my Beach whilst reading This thread.FB9B0B66-BBB0-4AE2-9BD6-0A1656EB5A5D.jpeg

Back