Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The New T7 California can be ordered from today in Germany + configurator.

not a glowing review
I don’t think the reviewer has driven a 6.1, as they didn’t mention the lack of handbrake between the two seats and the removal of gearstick.
The also said
“the more car-like driving experience is certainly a welcome improvement while all of the fixtures and fittings feel just a little more usable than they were before“
So whilst I read it and dreamed of a height adjustable drivers seat, it came over as quite positive.

I got bored of waiting so have got a MV 2.0tsi Style LWB.
It’s quite nice actually.

Will see how it drives for me and if it’s good I’ll order a Cali Ocean.

Let me know if you have any questions.
IMG_3252.jpeg
IMG_3253.jpeg

I got bored of waiting so have got a MV 2.0tsi Style LWB.
It’s quite nice actually.

Will see how it drives for me and if it’s good I’ll order a Cali Ocean.

Let me know if you have any questions.
View attachment 128512
View attachment 128513
Nice. Would be good to hear about whether the extra length is an impediment for parking or navigating tights city streets or is not a noticeable issue in practice.

Nice. Would be good to hear about whether the extra length is an impediment for parking or navigating tights city streets or is not a noticeable issue in practice.
Yes that would be good to know. Perhaps you could post some photos of it in a standard parking bay with the front lined up with the lines so we could see the overhang at the back?

It does look long in those photos. Maybe its the overhang at the back that accentuates the look and in practice it wouldn’t make a difference but I get the impression that it is going to stick out of a lot of parking spaces. Thats a shame because one of the benefits of the Cali to me us the ability to park almost anywhere.

It does look long in those photos. Maybe its the overhang at the back that accentuates the look and in practice it wouldn’t make a difference but I get the impression that it is going to stick out of a lot of parking spaces. Thats a shame because one of the benefits of the Cali to me us the ability to park almost anywhere.
It’s around 5.2m long and I believe standard parking bays are 5m long. That’s why a 4.9m long T6.1 Cali just fits.

I don’t see any issues to be honest.
If I was flat at the back, then yes the front would be over by 200mm

IMG_3261.jpeg

IMG_3262.jpeg

No one has mentioned the Rear Spoiler.
Doesn’t look like an “ add on “ like the present spoiler on the Transporter.
So will there be a Tailgate Bike Rack?

Can only find Towbar or Roof bike racks. Oh Dear.

No one has mentioned the Rear Spoiler.
Doesn’t look like an “ add on “ like the present spoiler on the Transporter.
So will there be a Tailgate Bike Rack?

Can only find Towbar or Roof bike racks. Oh Dear.
Does look integrated. Is that the high level brake light it is housing? In that case a tailgate bike rack looks unlikely.

Not round here. No front lines.
I think it is referring to where the side lines finish and whether you have to overhang them. Personally I don’t see that as a problem unless it is a tight carpark and you end up sticking out to the extent of being vulnerable to less careful drivers.

I don’t see any issues to be honest.
If I was flat at the back, then yes the front would be over by 200mm

View attachment 128516

View attachment 128517
Longer and wider on the outside and shorter, lower and narrower on the inside. VW 1) has lost the plot and only sells to day campers or 2) will in the future build a California on the new Transporter (Ford Transit rebadge), which is what California Cris has asked them to do in his latest video. This new California has the exterior length of a LWB 6.1 with less interior space than a SWB 6.1.

Last edited:
Longer and wider on the outside and shorter, lower and narrower on the inside. VW 1) has lost the plot and only sells to day campers or 2) will in the future build a California on the new Transporter (Ford Transit rebadge), which is what California Cris has asked tren to do in his latest video. This new California has the exterior length of a LWB 6.1 with less interior space than a SWB 6.1.
I would speculate that it may be part of the deal with Ford that VW cannot build a Transit based camper and likewise Ford cannot build a Caddy based one.
Of course it may well be down to logistics. Shipping vans from Turkey to the California plant in Germany may not be economically viable.

I would speculate that it may be part of the deal with Ford that VW cannot build a Transit based camper and likewise Ford cannot build a Caddy based one.
Of course it may well be down to logistics. Shipping vans from Turkey to the California plant in Germany may not be economically viable.
Remember that VW will be shipping them from Turkey to Germany anyway to sell them as rebadged Transporters.

If you have any problems fitting in the bay, just keep a tin of white paint in the van and extend the lines!

:bananadance2
When I have the towbar bike rack on, I just take up 2 parking spaces. I put my van way behind the front line, and let the bike rack stick out almost to halfway the second parking space. It is almost impossible to fit the California with towbar in a normal parking space, so with bike rack, it just is impossible.

And I preferably park near a lamp post or something. That way I can almost take up 4 parking spaces.
But don't tell anyone.

IMG_3266.jpeg
Which ones longer ?

IMG_3263.jpeg
IMG_3264.jpeg
IMG_3267.jpeg
IMG_3268.jpeg
Also.
The adaptive cruise: absolutely brilliant.
Stops when a car stops in front.
Don’t touch the brake for 2 minutes, car moves off in front, and awayyyyyyy.
Lane keeping steering is fantastic pulls you back gently into the lane.
Doesn’t feel like VW SW at all.

Seats are amazing.
Just brilliant.
Electric adjustment for squab, height, front and back, height.
4 way electric lumbar.
Headrest 4 way as well.
Alcantera seat covers and half leather perfect.
Auto hold.
Can’t fault it. Yet !

Only 17 or 22 dealers will be able to sell the California vans.
Hereford isn’t one of them unfortunately.

IShipping vans from Turkey to the California plant in Germany may not be economically viable.

Blacksea / Europe is a major shipping route. Can also go via rail.

VW is following the same path as the Renault Espace, same long nose car chassis to save money, same double A pillar prosthetic nose to make it look like a van, same rejection of space conscious clientele, and unfortunately same commercial failure.

IMG_0188.png
IMG_0189.png
IMG_0172.png
IMG_0190.jpeg
Remember how horrified we all were when we saw spy photos of this a few years ago? It was the mule for the new Multivan/California. I don’t have words.
IMG_0191.png
Notice that the mule, while having a clumsy long nose, doesn’t have a functioning sliding door due to the shortened cargo area:
IMG_0192.png
6.1 sliding door:
IMG_0193.jpeg

VW thinks we don’t notice. They are fooling themselves.
IMG_0195.jpeg

What do you all think?

IMG_0194.jpeg

New 2025 Transporter/Caravelle:
IMG_0196.jpeg

Last edited:
You should see how low the engine is in the engine bay !
It’s so low.
It will get ripped out of the bay just by a slight change of wind ;)

Tbh, at the moment, I can fit my 3 grandkids in, and wife and one mother.
The seat driving position is highly adjustable.
And it gets from A to B.
Double electric auto sliding doors give it that, “where to mate” when I slide them open for the grandson.
I’m really enjoying it for the moment.
Got the ecoflow in.
Just need a fridge.
Chuck the 10l water container in a box, and vango roar, table and two chairs.
I think the only need for a Cali Ocean is just that.
A want. And not a need.

Back