Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The New T7 California can be ordered from today in Germany + configurator.

California Chris has put a pre-launch info video up just now. Saying probably not going to be in the UK before next year.
I don't think it'll be anywhere until next year. I know of one German who ordered a Beach Tour a few weeks ago and was told not to expect it before February 2025. In Switzerland it is now possible to pre-order the Californias via a dealership but no configurator to play with yet.

I’m feeling an autumn / September pre order in the UK myself.
They want that order book filled asap.

The takeaway is, he thinks it might be available to order in Nov / Dec for an April / May delivery.
Which would be nice ;)
The hybrid sounds interesting, it'll be the most rapid Cali ever at 245 BHP!

The hybrid sounds interesting, it'll be the most rapid Cali ever at 245 BHP!
It’s not on the German configurator yet.
I’d have thought it would have been ?

But the hybrid 4WD sounds really nice.
Rear wheel drive around town on electric.
Top gear said they managed 30mpg long term use.
Which is the same as a Diesel 4M
But without DPF issues.

Whatttttttt...........best of both worlds!

Have an X545e....rapid and 35mpg+ when the battery is flat......

Whatttttttt...........best of both worlds!

Have an X545e....rapid and 35mpg+ when the battery is flat......
Not as rapid as a full EV costing only 2p/mile with a decent 280 mile range. The EV does the equivalent to over 90mpg! Hybrids are generally a half way house for those who don’t feel comfortable with moving too far away from the safer ICE platform. For a heavy vehicle like a camper, when you’re far more likely to do longer journeys, why bother with hybrid? More expensive to buy and more costly to maintain. Warranty period is less worrying for the buyer I guess so if you only own when under warranty maybe it makes slightly more sense. I just don’t see the point of hybrid, especially on a heavy camper. I don’t really see a better option than a diesel engine actually.

Not as rapid as a full EV costing only 2p/mile with a decent 280 mile range. The EV does the equivalent to over 90mpg! Hybrids are generally a half way house for those who don’t feel comfortable with moving too far away from the safer ICE platform. For a heavy vehicle like a camper, when you’re far more likely to do longer journeys, why bother with hybrid? More expensive to buy and more costly to maintain. Warranty period is less worrying for the buyer I guess so if you only own when under warranty maybe it makes slightly more sense. I just don’t see the point of hybrid, especially on a heavy camper. I don’t really see a better option than a diesel engine actually.
^ This
Although to get 4WD VW are obliging the owner to go for the hybrid. Rock and hard place.

^ This
Although to get 4WD VW are obliging the owner to go for the hybrid. Rock and hard place.
It maybe that VW has emissions targets to hit on sales, I know that all manufactures have an imposed target of EV new sales in the UK..

At what campsite can you recharge your all electric camper whilst on tour?
Or alternatively at what EV charging point are you allowed to camp overnight?
You must be mad if you are going to sleep on all those lovely toasty Lithium batteries whilst they charge, still you won't be cold!
I can just see the headlines; "Family of four roasted (literally) whilst sleeping in Electric Camper that caught fire whilst recharging."

Hmm, look what Westfalia is presenting as their new Club Joker City Urban,

two sliding doors, two seats instead of bench, one cooking burner....
See it here on an earlier discussion

At what campsite can you recharge your all electric camper whilst on tour?
Or alternatively at what EV charging point are you allowed to camp overnight?

Why would you need to charge whilst camping? You just stop at a filling station enroute, same way as you do with an ICE camper.

Why would you need to charge whilst camping? You just stop at a filling station enroute, same way as you do with an ICE camper.
For how long? I stopped on the M40 last week for 40 minutes, there was a buzz on charge when I arrived and it was still there when I left

Not 100% but her goes....the BMW is around the same. However in reality I earn more from electric than it cost me, so its a negative figure. But its not relative to cost rather than tail pipe emission

The BMW is due to the size and is just on the cusp for the dogs. But there are a few more options on the market now....EV9 / ID Buzz / I5 etc. We've had hybrids since 2015 and there wasn't a lot of choice back them.

Current climate is such I don't feel the urge to replace the Volvo we have as a third car. But I did try the Buzz as I could have been persuaded to go for one of those cheap lease deals being offered. (We buy vehicles outright). However we just didn't get on with it. Slow / noisy / bouncy.... EV9 is fugly / expensive and the I5 can now be had for 65k

Here is the video that has been posted by California Chris on YouTube

New 2024 VW California Details
It’s telling that in the comments Chris responds to almost universal criticism of the vehicle by saying several times that this California is “definitely for a different demographic” of “day campers”, and that he himself wishes that VW would build a camper based on the new Transporter. When one commenter predicts that his California sales will drop, he responds, “We also sell Transporters.” ‘Nuff said, anybody considering buying one should read his responses to the comments (when another commenter points out that the lower roofline will mean that the awning will be very low, he jokingly responds that for a fee they will make you shorter!).

Last edited:
We are v interested in the new multivan. Have loved our ocean but as my kids have got older we’ve camped less and less and now mix camping with touring Europe via Air bnbs plus the odd festival

We are interested in the beach camper but all the videos I’ve seen the middle seat on the rear doesn’t fold down flat but twists 180 and is then upright facing backwards between the front driver and passenger seats . Please me this not the only option for sleeping in a beach . It’s a deal braker for me !

We are v interested in the new multivan. Have loved our ocean but as my kids have got older we’ve camped less and less and now mix camping with touring Europe via Air bnbs plus the odd festival

We are interested in the beach camper but all the videos I’ve seen the middle seat on the rear doesn’t fold down flat but twists 180 and is then upright facing backwards between the front driver and passenger seats . Please me this not the only option for sleeping in a beach . It’s a deal braker for me !
The seats can be removed from the sliding rails.
So as you can use it like a van.
That middle seat could be removed and stored in the garage.
So I think you’ll be fine.
Plus side, the lack of gear stick, and no handbrake, so a little more wiggle room inside the drivers cabin. And the driving position is height adjustable.

Back