Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The New T7 California can be ordered from today in Germany + configurator.

Understand about the space issues, but then its a suck it and see kinda journey.
blow up awning to throw all the gear in for a week away.
or towbar and tug a caravan. then use the cali mv (What do we call the new one?)
Albert the designer refers to the new California as the T7, so ?
as a day van.
where a single burner will do for a brew.
fridge will suit my day van needs, sitting outside and can reach in and grab a cold can, without having to climb inside, sit down, open the lid.
There will be a large storage blind on the window opposite the wardrobe. has compartments, and can be removed to take in the house and filled with ya knickers n socks, t's, shorts, clever idea.
I saw the concept kitchen, but then saw the simple hob and sink, much the same as the 6.1

my insurer NFU, gives you a brand new vehicle for the first two years, and 635GBP for a year on a new defender xs edition with air suspension, sliding pan roof, fridge, 7 seats, air ionization and purification, electric towbar, i think is a bargain.
Comfort was 484GBP, business use, a year for a 87K list price, Cali 6.1 4motion.
I am lucky with insurance.

TBH I could get a multivan L2 Style for around 66K, but then I'd have to buy a dometic fridge and secure it in somewhere. Use a ridge monkey 10l container to store water. vango roar, and the foldaway aluminum table in the boot. But then its a lot of faff, again.

Grandkids, when they grow up could sleep in an awning next to caravan when we went away. but what about using it as a day van when we retire?
for an extra 15K could have the manual poptop in an ocean mv. fridge I don't need to secure, and an awning when its hot. and 2 chairs in the boot. water on tap for a brew. table stored away in boot.
I think its going to suit my needs.
The Sven was a nice idea, but too big to park on customer sites for the next 4 / 10 years..
I'm really looking forward to the awesome seating position, and car like drive, which will accommodate my (not bad, but back muscles that need to be kept in a certain position) and 99% of my needs.

Last edited:
Whilst I’m interested in this (solo camper so storage and layout are fine), I’ll be leaving it for a while in order for any flaws to be discovered by early adopters, for discounts to appear and for the second market for my t6.1 Ocean to firm up as supply of new vehicles dries up. I really hope there are no issues with water ingress through the pop top.

I really hope there are no issues with water ingress through the pop top.
Yet to be determined, but from what I've seen its the same double skinned design as in the T6.1, including the massive stitch holes.

Model specs will vary between markets, but some interesting standard equipment and options differences between Coast and Ocean on German configurator (which seems buggy in Chrome using English translation).

• Coast petrol is c. €1,286 dearer than diesel, whilst Ocean petrol is €785 dearer than diesel ?
  • LED lights are standard, with an option for "IQ.LIGHT LED matrix headlights with LED daytime running lights"
  • Coast has manual roof as expected (which I'd personally prefer)
  • both have "Armrests for swivel seats driver and front passenger on both sides, with electric lumbar support"
  • I found an option for fancier still seats with massage function when looking at the Coast, but haven't been able to get back to it again
  • black awning (can be specified on either side) for €690 !
  • flappy paddle gearbox appears standard, option for heated steering wheel
  • heated seats are a €505 option on Coast
  • Coast has manual aircon whilst Ocean is Climatronic standard
  • two options for camping heater on Coast at €1,814 or a staggering €3,094 if you choose "Camper auxiliary heater for continuous operation and auxiliary heater for windscreen defrosting with radio remote control".
  • Basic camping heater is standard on Ocean.
  • option for a start-up defrost heater (did we used to call that Aux?) with remote
  • the nice looking two-tone paint (Candy White / Starlight Blue Metallic) used in all the Ocean promotional pics is €3,189 ! or €3,546 if you want similar with Pearl & a black roof ...
  • Coast doesn't have the useful looking locker across rear window / behind passenger heads
  • sliding side doors can be unassisted, or optionally either "closing aid" or electric
  • fly screens built into sliding side windows
  • lots of options for keyless, Head-Up Display, Lane Assist stuff
  • all appear to have same 10" screen, with options then for nav / audio 'internals'
So no footie on the telly then?

I wonder if the bellows leak

I imagine that for some the fact that this vehicle is significantly longer (25cm!) and wider than a T5/6 while being smaller on the inside will be a deal breaker for interior space and parking. It is for me, which is why I prefer the efficient use of space of a van chassis to a long nose car chassis like this one. The comparison of interior/exterior dimensions with the new Transporter/Transit will be interesting!

Last edited:
So that’s 2 U.K. sales.
I reckon the only reason you can't start speccing and ordering on the UK site is the sheer volume of new and nearly new unsold 6.1's around which dealers want shifting before they have to compete with a new model.

I reckon the only reason you can't start speccing and ordering on the UK site is the sheer volume of new and nearly new unsold 6.1's around which dealers want shifting before they have to compete with a new model.
Probably true and I can foresee Dealerships dropping their prices further that will upset the calculations of many private owners looking to sell.

I imagine that for some the fact that this vehicle is significantly longer (25cm!) and wider than a T5/6 while being smaller on the inside will be a deal breaker for interior space and parking. It is for me, which is why I prefer the efficient use of space of a van chassis to a long nose car chassis like this one. The comparison of interior/exterior dimensions with the new Transporter/Transit will be interesting!
Of all I have read and seen this issue if external size is the biggest put-off. The present Cali has the same footprint as a largish saloon car (say BMW 5 series). An extra 25cm in length is a lot.

IMG_2676.jpeg
Looks awful in grey. But drives like a car.

View attachment 126117
Looks awful in grey. But drives like a car.

Drives like a people carrier, but better than a van. Compromise is the extra length with less internal space.

Our Joker is LWB, and parking length has never been an issue (only height)…so the wouldn’t get worried about the multivan’s length.

It'll be a Sven Hedin or a Sprinter based Hymer before I allow a Sharavan on my driveway.
I need to keep saving then.
Maybe an old day Sharavan / galaxy for days out.
I’ve got the EF2, just need a fridge.
Wonder what would fit the bill ?
My sisters Galaxy is 15 years old and still works.

It'll be a Sven Hedin or a Sprinter based Hymer before I allow a Sharavan on my driveway.
I would love a Hymer with a poptop (don't need the space, just love sleeping under the poptop roof). If only I had a place to park it as parking a campervan on the streets is not allowed for more than 3 days here in NL.

Back