Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The New T7 California can be ordered from today in Germany + configurator.

I appreciate it won't be for everyone, but it will also attract a new audience who for whatever reason wouldn't have chosen the 6.1.

It'll be a Sven Hedin or a Sprinter based Hymer before I allow a Sharavan on my driveway.
I cannot endorse the Sven highly enough when you're ready for the change. Although I appreciate the Hymer is also a very compelling argument too.

No, they’ve been using the T6.1 as the test vehicle.
They’ll be sure to leak give there are knowledgable buyers who will set out to test the bellows with a hose strapped to a stepladder.

Only 110kW 2.0TDI and 150kW 2.0 TSI so far (which will probably consume so much fuel they haven't got the WLTP figures yet). Weight seems to be reduced by a lot though (around 2300kg).
Weight is reduced but the "zulassig gesamtgewicht" (max payload) also...this is 2850 kg according to the configurator

You'll or they will need to read the relevant Forums to see the problems with those conversions and the to and fro between the vehicle manufacturers and the conversion companies.
Time will tell.

The ace card the T7 has over predecessors is the PHEV option. This will make it a feasible option for the company car buyer which not financially viable for diesel models. Perhaps VW is anticipating more sales in this area?

The ace card the T7 has over predecessors is the PHEV option. This will make it a feasible option for the company car buyer which not financially viable for diesel models. Perhaps VW is anticipating more sales in this area?
I would have thought that is a very small number of potential extra sales maybe a handful a year & uk only.

Worked my way through the configurator and chose the Ocean to compare it to our current T6 Ocean. Total cost Germany comes to 92.500 euro's...with the extra taxes in The Netherlands I guess it will be 120.000 or more...thanks a lot of extra cash and not so much difference with our current configuration, only more modern and more (to fail) electronics...(based on T6.1 issues)

@Multi1100 probably more like 110k EUR after taxes in NL. My Ocean 204ps 4motion was less in 2022...
Depends on Diesel or Petrol config. But current T6.1 Oceans with 150 BHP are already lowered in list price, so you could be right about the 110k

Worked my way through the configurator and chose the Ocean to compare it to our current T6 Ocean. Total cost Germany comes to 92.500 euro's...with the extra taxes in The Netherlands I guess it will be 120.000 or more...thanks a lot of extra cash and not so much difference with our current configuration, only more modern and more (to fail) electronics...(based on T6.1 issues)
I'm curious how you arrived at such a high NL price? Looking only at VAT, removing the 19% for Germany and adding 21% for the Netherlands, €92500 becomes €94051 (according to my calculation at least).

The issue with PHEV is that it adds weight, which has more of an impact in a camper on payload. If there are only 2 people it’s fine…but 4 plus holiday kit, water, gas then adds a lot more.

( saw a Skoda car ad where adding additional 2 seats can’t be added done on phev or 4wd model, assume it’s down to weight)

@pluc99 Netherlands has quite a steep registration tax for new vehicles. For my MY22 Ocean it was about 15K euro.

I'm curious how you arrived at such a high NL price? Looking only at VAT, removing the 19% for Germany and adding 21% for the Netherlands, €92500 becomes €94051 (according to my calculation at least).
We in The Netherlands have (unfortunately) an extra tax called BPM which can be somewhere between 25-30% of the price including dutch VAT, so that might be an extra 20-30 K.

Weight is reduced but the "zulassig gesamtgewicht" (max payload) also...this is 2850 kg according to the configurator
because there is no storage space anymore to carry more weight:)

Drives like a people carrier, but better than a van. Compromise is the extra length with less internal space.

Our Joker is LWB, and parking length has never been an issue (only height)…so the wouldn’t get worried about the multivan’s length.
It isn’t just the extra length and width, it’s the combination of that with less space on the inside.

Anyone know when the configurator will go live in the UK.

Anyone know when the configurator will go live in the UK.
That’s the question right there.
I’ve asked 3 dealers to let me know the moment it opens.
I’ll also email Jim at DTD

Has it the ford wet engine?
According to Wikipedia, No, they are all VAG Engines, same platform and engines as Caddy, so is a Caddy a viable alternative?

Last edited:
So if the multivan is the same platform as a Caddy, and a Caddy Maxi California is £46K new and a poptop roof is £4K, the multivan cailfornia needs to be something very very special

So if the multivan is the same platform as a Caddy, and a Caddy Maxi California is £46K new and a poptop roof is £4K, the multivan cailfornia needs to be something very very special
Well its available as a PHEV for one, but they are completely different animals. The internal height especially when the bed is deployed is very restrictive. No option for an inbuilt cabin area kitchen either. The Caddy has too many compromises even compared to the Sharavan.

Back