Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack thoughts please...

But no longer possible to open tailgate, i assume?
Remove straps to open tailgate. The straps only need to be in position for driving. roofbox.co.uk swears that you don’t need the straps at all, since owners with tailgate spoilers have to omit them.

I have 4 bikes (60kg) on a Westafalia towbar & an Atera Strada DL4 but have to rotate my (large bullhorn) handle-bars, to allow the boot to open.

I assume this won’t work for your towbar-mounted carrier? It’s a very cheap and easy solution, if it works.
Hi thanks...no it's the rack that it catches not the bike. Have tried many fixes!!! :)

With that maximum potential weight hanging well to rear plus internal loading needing that overflow there is potential for overloading the rear axle which has major repercussions.
Vehicle unstable, insurance invalidated (used/loaded outside the design parameters) and if spotted by the Police or DVSA could/would lead to a fine and vehicle being impounded until excess weight removed which can't just be unloaded and left as it would then attract a litter/dumping fine.

With that maximum potential weight hanging well to rear plus internal loading needing that overflow there is potential for overloading the rear axle which has major repercussions.
Vehicle unstable, insurance invalidated (used/loaded outside the design parameters) and if spotted by the Police or DVSA could/would lead to a fine and vehicle being impounded until excess weight removed which can't just be unloaded and left as it would then attract a litter/dumping fine.
I'm not sure wellies and duvets are going to get me close to the nose weight limit.... ;)

<Edit>

The whole point of rear storage is for light, bulky items to free up space in the cabin - not to store more, perse.

With a paraphernalia of infant-gear (child-carrying rucksack, pushchairs, etc) the majority of the interior space gets soaked up fast. In addition, the sliding-tile puzzle nature of the California means that most of the stuff that's needed quickly is infact, incredibly difficult to get to.

Our setup is simple. Tailgate bikerack for the pushchair (no heavier than a childs bike) and rucksack (a scooter's weight). Storage box for the bedding and other bulky items that simply make life difficult when you have to find some corner of the cali to shift it to when out and about.

Allows us to easily dismount for walks/trips when out and about, and at the same time, means we dont have any unsecured valuables outside of the vehicle.

And obviously, this is our travel setup. When we're setup, it becomes a childrens 'toy crate' in the drive away awning.

Last edited:
I'm not sure wellies and duvets are going to get me close to the nose weight limit.... ;)

<Edit>

The whole point of rear storage is for light, bulky items to free up space in the cabin - not to store more, perse.

With a paraphernalia of infant-gear (child-carrying rucksack, pushchairs, etc) the majority of the interior space gets soaked up fast. In addition, the sliding-tile puzzle nature of the California means that most of the stuff that's needed quickly is infact, incredibly difficult to get to.

Our setup is simple. Tailgate bikerack for the pushchair (no heavier than a childs bike) and rucksack (a scooter's weight). Storage box for the bedding and other bulky items that simply make life difficult when you have to find some corner of the cali to shift it to when out and about.

Allows us to easily dismount for walks/trips when out and about, and at the same time, means we dont have any unsecured valuables outside of the vehicle.

And obviously, this is our travel setup. When we're setup, it becomes a childrens 'toy crate' in the drive away awning.
Point was that the internal space may well be up to the max Cali weight with passenger(s) plus clothes, food, water etc. Then add bike rack, towbar rack and storage plus a number of bikes and wellies etc.
It would be like a red flag to any DVSA or Police Officer carrying out an overloaded vehicle check, which they do seem to be getting keener on.