The UK in summer.

ThomasHJ

ThomasHJ

Top Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I tend to plan my summer holidays far ahead. We never book sites, but I do plan out (on google my maps) a lot of our possible route(s), sightseeing things, natural sights, camp sites, even places to eat etc. I read and read and read untill I feel I have found sufficient information to make sure we have a really nice holiday. When we travel, we then have a nice selection to pick from and still teh freedom to go where and when we want within the area we're visiting.

This year we moved house and I haven't been able to plan anything. Our summer holidays are in 4 weeks and I am going somewhat crazy ;-)

Anyways, we're considering the Picos de Europa. But also... the UK, where we have been once or twice but never been camping. We haven;t decided yet. :headbang

Is it possible at all to visit the UK during july and find (hopefully small, green/natural) campsites that still have room when we show up? Or is this wishfull thinking?
Since we haven't seen much of it, we'd be open to any route/direction/areas.

July is when the school holidays begin, so it will get busy. If you're planning to visit any of the tourist areas (basically any National Park, e.g. the Lake District, Cornwall/Devon or pretty much any accessible coast) I would expect you'll need to book. You'll also find a lot of campsites will have a 2-night stay minimum, at least over weekends, you might get away with it in the week. It's not to say it's impossible and if you're flexible with what you want and how much you are happy to travel within a day, you could probably do it by booking a day ahead, i.e. ringing up a campsite for the following evening to find one with space.

It's not impossible, but it will be busy.

I tend to plan my summer holidays far ahead. We never book sites, but I do plan out (on google my maps) a lot of our possible route(s), sightseeing things, natural sights, camp sites, even places to eat etc. I read and read and read untill I feel I have found sufficient information to make sure we have a really nice holiday. When we travel, we then have a nice selection to pick from and still teh freedom to go where and when we want within the area we're visiting.

This year we moved house and I haven't been able to plan anything. Our summer holidays are in 4 weeks and I am going somewhat crazy ;-)

Anyways, we're considering the Picos de Europa. But also... the UK, where we have been once or twice but never been camping. We haven;t decided yet. :headbang

Is it possible at all to visit the UK during july and find (hopefully small, green/natural) campsites that still have room when we show up? Or is this wishfull thinking?
If you don’t need electric hookup, you should be able to find space, hence one of the reasons we have solar panels. Alot of sites have the limited hookup section, and then large fields that allow you to pitch up anywhere….+ the less commercial the site, the more chance you have.

Thomas, having been to 3 sites in the last ten days I would honestly say you will have trouble doing that. We booked one site about 6 months ago. The other two I had to split a 4 night break because there wasn’t space for 4 nights at either. Another site filled up in the 30 minutes I spent conferring with my wife!

I would say you will have trouble even finding great sites that you can reserve. Camping is incredibly popular here since covid and stories about nightmare airport and ferry journeys has only made more people decide to holiday in GB.

There will be some pop up sites with space. Some of these will be beautiful but some will be cynical cashing in. Mid week may be possible, just, but then where do you stay at weekends? This has just been my recent experience.

I would at least book your 1st night in UK. July can be busy. I had to book a site at last minute and could not get answer on phones so ended up in a hotel. Camping and caravan sites often want 2 nights you can only book the small sites if a member. Caravan and motorhome club also only let you book the 5 pitch sites if a member.

Suggest you take a look at thier websites. Joining gives discount on the club sites and caravan and motorhome show a rough idea of availability.

I did exactly that last August for a week, which I spent exploring the East Yorkshire coast. Some fabulous coastline including places like North Landing cove. I phoned sites each afternoon as I ambled along the coast. Some were full but I always managed to find a site, although some were nicer than others.

I would say it is definitely possible but really depends on the area. I probably wouldn’t travel to Cornwall in August without booking ahead for example.

Hope that helps..

Thomas, we have camped around the UK several trips, we have found that the continental style of just showing up seems something that UK campsite owners frown upon, to put it mildly, even off season. It seems the UK style of campervaning is very much more to book ahead than we are used to. Just see all the requests on info when people on here are planning a continental (on here they speak of ‘Europe’) trip. We have also had to phone around several places around 16:00 to find one, often rather far away, that would have us. Apart from the nasty habit to demand longer day stays. Seems the UK is not the place for impromptu campervaning. We would recommend to not risk it in high season, it has proven to be difficult enough off season.

Thanks Bart, your perspective on the matter is very welcome. It's good to know. In case we do decide that the UK will be our destination, I guess we'll have to try and book ahead.

oh btw, we moved house about a month ago. So we are no longer 'wijkgenoten'.

Camping in the forest sites can be quiet (new forest). Matley wood, Denny wood and long beech have never been full, but they are basic sites you have to have your own toilet no showers.
There’s fresh water and waste disposal, you get to park inbetween the trees and feels like you’re not on a campsite (none of that all lined up in a big open field).
The new forest is gorgeous loads of country pubs and a short drive to Bournemouth lovely beach’s. Salisbury, Stonehenge, Marvell zoo, paultons park.
Roads can be very busy down on the south coast.

For my money do northern Spain. Food is cheaper, campsites are cheaper, facilities are better.

The picos are stunning. The beaches just to the west of Llanes are amazing.

Uk campsite owners are guilty of greedflation, charging £35 per night for a min 3 night stay on an uneven field 600 meters away from the facilities. They are literally asking to be dumped.

We are currently in the picos, it’s great. However school holidays start 23rd June and we’re not too sure what availability will be like after then.

Currently, at least 50% of the camper vans here have NL plates, followed by E then D.

Last edited:
searchforsites app. do pub stops friday and saturday in popular places. the rest of the time i find always easy to get a spot as most people go home on sunday night,even the retired ones strangely. you wil always eventually find somewhere. enjoy

for example, this site in the borrowdale valley is down a road too narrow for caravans or white whales so always easy to get a spot. £8 a night. the farmer will come find you on his quad bike. phones don't work here

stonethwaite.jpg

On our trip two weeks ago to Norfolk we stayed at 2 sites for 2 nights. Deepdale was £104 and Bircham Windmill £84.
Nice sites but a lot for 2 nights.

You could try prospective locations by a search for availability of suitable sites on

Good luck

W
for example, this site in the borrowdale valley is down a road too narrow for caravans or white whales so always easy to get a spot. £8 a night. the farmer will come find you on his quad bike. phones don't work here

View attachment 109739
Which site is that in Borrowdale?

View attachment 109739
But Starlink Dishy McDishFace would ;)

You could try prospective locations by a search for availability of suitable sites on

Good luck
I also use that although I do book but not far ahead. On my way home from my current trip, on Wednesday I'm staying one night in a field by the River Avon in Worcestershire, no facilities apart from water and chemical disposal, beautiful site with lots of space, £11.

I agree with @flying banana, there are some real gems to be found if you go off the beaten track, even in the south west of England.

Although we do tend to go away for shorter weekend trips, Berry Barton Farm is brilliant. You can't book non EHU pitches amyway and there's an overflow camping field that is relatively quiet even when busy. The toilets and showers are good, theres a nice little pub at the pub and the south coast path is directly accessible from the site amd the walks ti Beer, Bramscombe and Sidmouth are stunning. The icing in the cake it's cheap at £18 per night!

Screenshot_20230619_224556_Dropbox.jpg
Screenshot_20230619_224453_Dropbox.jpg
Screenshot_20230619_224411_Dropbox.jpg
During our last stay, the farmer was saying footfall is down as a result of the cost of living crisis, so a from me to get down there.

Another of our favourite places to stay is Putsborough beach in North Devon. Its not cheap at £35 (last season) but the location doesnt get any better and you can't pre-book. Campervans park in the dedicated hard standing area at the top of the car park, but you have 24/7 access to the campsite toliet/shower block and theres a lovely cafe on the beach. Woolacombe and Croyde are amazing walks along the beach and coast path, but the views are even better......
Screenshot_20230619_230200_Dropbox.jpg
Screenshot_20230619_230303_Dropbox.jpg
My local, Oakhill campsite also gets a shout. Rural, quiet, lovely owners, a really good village pub an easy 5 minute walk and the cities of Bath and Bristol are only 30 mins away. We stay here and its only a 3 minute drive from my house!

If you do venture down to Cornwalll, there's still availabilityy at the Coastland site in Mylor Harbour for campervans in July. We were due to stay here in July but had to cancel unfortuntely and so moved our booki g to later in the year. Its right on the Fal River, so I lure fish for bass directly from the site, but the cafe and pub are great in Mylor Harbour too. There's boat and watersport hire on your doorstep and Falmouth and the amazing beaches of Cornwall are not far away.

Screenshot_20230620_073301_Dropbox.jpg
Screenshot_20230620_073239_Dropbox.jpg

So, maybe a bit of planning if you come, but it doesn't need to be over planned to have a great holiday in England.

Off for my interview at the tourist board!

Another question regarding the summer period. I noticed that school holidays don't start untill 21st of july in England. Does that make much of a difference for availability of camp sites and also for just overall how crowded it'll be? Only the last part of our holidays will be after the UK school holiday starts.

If it does make a (considerable) difference, what places would you suggest visiting before the UK school holidays and which places can be done after the start of UK school holidays to try and avoid the crowds?

We'll start in the south of England and were planning on moving north through Wales and then up to Scotland / Isle of Skye, a bit more north and then taking the ferry back to NL from Newscastle.

Another question regarding the summer period. I noticed that school holidays don't start untill 21st of july in England. Does that make much of a difference for availability of camp sites and also for just overall how crowded it'll be? Only the last part of our holidays will be after the UK school holiday starts.

If it does make a (considerable) difference, what places would you suggest visiting before the UK school holidays and which places can be done after the start of UK school holidays to try and avoid the crowds?

We'll start in the south of England and were planning on moving north through Wales and then up to Scotland / Isle of Skye, a bit more north and then taking the ferry back to NL from Newscastle.
Sounds like you will have planned it perfectly !
There are some differences (when school terms start & finish) between different county’s in England, Wales and Scotland.
I think you’ll fine.
If you can’t find a spot.
Use Park for a night and find a suitable location.
Enjoy, that’s a lot of area to travel!
How long for ? 6 weeks ?

Pack insect repellent, suncream and waterproofs. That sums up UK summer; expect anything from driving rain to scorching heat. Anything is possible.

Avoid the main motorway network on a Friday afternoon or a Sunday afternoon; peak times for lots of leisure traffic moving around (particularly the M5, M6 (south of Preston) and the A55 across the top of North Wales). Doubtless elsewhere too but those are the roads I frequent often so can speak from first hand experience.

Just note that English state school holidays are roughly 21st July until 1st week in September, Scots state school holidays are roughly 30 June to 11 August so peak times for Scots campsites are generally 21st July till 11th August

Back