Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

UK or Europe this year?

I'm going the other way .... would love to be camping in Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Slovenia and Croatia ... our normal stomping ground ... but this year we're coming to the U.K. ... got to be done due to family.

My kids experienced some animosity a few years back in the throes of Brexit for speaking German - were told to speak english by a rude t**t - they were all born in the U.K. to British parents but have grown up bilingual and often speak German among themselves.

Hopefully all this has subsided and it'll be safe to tour the UK on german plates :Nailbiting.
Shouldn't even matter where they were born. Our lad is tri lingual and I really hope someone tells us to speak English :mad:

That said, we're doing the same this year (hopefully), also want to do a bit of N Wales.
Last time I was in the UK was in June '20 when Spain were the covid pariahs of Europe, was a bit apprehensive about driving up north on Spanish plates haha

Shouldn't even matter where they were born. Our lad is tri lingual and I really hope someone tells us to speak English :mad:

That said, we're doing the same this year (hopefully), also want to do a bit of N Wales.
Last time I was in the UK was in June '20 when Spain were the covid pariahs of Europe, was a bit apprehensive about driving up north on Spanish plates haha
Unfortunately, we are entering an era when last centuries wars have well and truly faded from living memory - so human nature - which hasn't fundamentally changed in the last 2000 years - is reverting back to the primeval - greed and avarice are a prevalent now as they ever were.

Denying rights to minorities, undermining our institutions, and removing the checks and balances built into our governmental systems are all being seen as viable policies in the quest to "get things done" - and the rhetoric surrounding "foreigners" and disputes between nations is ratcheting up again.

Current generations are more comfortable with conflict as they have never experienced it on a large scale - the closest they have come is either a video game or a hollywood movie.

The result is that tabloids reflect the public mood with inflammatory content and our politicians parrot this rhetoric as it gets them elected. When governments start implementing nationalistic, self-interested agendas in the name of the nations they govern, then we all know the end-game ... facing the odd xenophobic remark is just the tip of the iceberg.

All this serves to edge us all closer and closer to war ... where we will be condemned to learn the lessons of the 20th century and all our previous international and civil conflicts all over again - at enormous suffering and cost to human life.

Can recommend the Netherlands with the van. Went there Easter 2019 for a 10 day break. Really enjoyed our cycling trips - cycled miles. Lovely coast and inland areas. Lovely people and places.

We went in Easter 2019 too.
Stayed in this area below and had a great few days.
Thinking of heading back and exploring a bit further. Just trying to figure out when we can get a Eurotunnel crossing which isn’t already booked or to manic for May…

EA2CBA90-F027-4F44-95C3-D3671F00BC2C.png

Our/my holidays are bonded to the school holidays in Canton Schwyz however we look forward to travel around and I guess we will go around together for 2 weeks and I might hit the road after that again with my son (wife has to work).
This year we hope we could travel with my godchild/his parants who just converted a Opel/Renault panel van.
8523c687ecc00c92c0e8425105886510.jpg

Can recommend the Netherlands with the van. Went there Easter 2019 for a 10 day break. Really enjoyed our cycling trips - cycled miles. Lovely coast and inland areas. Lovely people and places.
Best place in the world for casual cycling. We love it. Great people, great towns and villages, easy to drive around and paradise to cycle round. The only, very minor, fly in the ointment is the national reluctance to take Visa or Mastercard. We generally have to resort to cash, which is only a memory now in the UK.

We had planned to circumnavigate the Baltic this year. Then, well, events.

So instead its an exploration of Belgium, Luxembourg and the Eifel in Germany. I cycled through the Eifel and then up the Mosel as part of a longer tour solo last summer and now keen to show the co-pilot this lovely part of Germany.

I cycled through the Eifel and then up the Mosel as part of a longer tour solo last summer and now keen to show the co-pilot this lovely part of Germany.
The Mosel cycle route in Luxembourg and Germany is a delight. In 2007 I did a triangular loop: Nancy to Koblenz along the Mosel/Moselle; Koblenz to Strasbourg along the Rhine and Strasbourg to Nancy along the Marne–Rhine Canal.

Heading over to Italy early June to see my brother and his family - haven't seen them for 3 years. Tunnel out booked for 2 June, tunnel back booked for 17th but no real plan other than that. Will take a few days to head down through France and just stop wherever we like the look of. Last time we did it was two-up on a Ducati Multistrada - we will be able to take a bit more with us this time (including the dog)!IMG_20220313_184200_768.jpg

The Mosel cycle route in Luxembourg and Germany is a delight. In 2007 I did a triangular loop: Nancy to Koblenz along the Mosel/Moselle; Koblenz to Strasbourg along the Rhine and Strasbourg to Nancy along the Marne–Rhine Canal.
Sounds amazing. How many miles/km and how many days did that take?!

Best place in the world for casual cycling. We love it. Great people, great towns and villages,
Thanks for this, where springs to mind to set yourself up for 4-7 days of this? I’d prefer not to pack up and keep moving, but have never been to the Netherlands in earnest … is there a great campsite with good cycling routes to give me a flavour?

The best campsite we have used in NL is Camping Petrushoeve which is between Venlo and Roermond. https://www.campingpetrushoeve.nl/ . We did a week there and were very far from running out of places to go. I’m going back for a week of solo cycling in June.

It is close to the River Maas in Limburg, however it’s adults only and no dogs.

It might be a bit trite to say that you could pitch up anywhere in NL and enjoy the cycling, but it’s true. From Petrushoeve, you can amble up and down the Maas, crossing back and forth by the many ferries. Venlo and Roermond are very nice to visit. There are also a number of National Parks to visit nearby.

However, in my opinion the most wonderful cycling is to be found in the Veluwe, which is an area of heath and forest in the middle of the country. It’s covered in cycle routes, paved and gravel and really quite lovely. Here’s an example:
1651251462912.jpeg

We have stayed around its periphery - I like a long day out on the bike. I enjoyed Camping De Maaneschijn near Nijkerk: https://www.demaaneschijn.nl/ which was quite small, decent showers, peaceful setting behind a farm shop. Maybe 20 pitches. Also enjoyed Camping t’Boomgardje https://www.boomgaardje.nl/ near Wijk bij Durstede, which is well placed for the Utrecht High Ridge (by high ridge they mean about 20m tall). We did 9 days here and again, lots left to see and do.

But there are many, many other great campsites in NL.

To assist your cycling, have a read of this article from the brilliant Bicycle Dutch blog: https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2019/09/25/the-numbered-junction-network-for-recreational-cycling/

Essentially the whole country is covered in numbered junctions on routes specifically designed for recreational cyclists. Typically at a number junction you’ll find a map and then directions to the next numbered junction. If you use the open street map cycles layer, all the numbered junctions are on it. You can simply note at the start of the day that you want to go 89-76-23-45 and so on. When you reach each one, there’ll be a map and a sign to the next one. NL also seems to have a the greatest density of cafes anywhere as a bonus.

We love the place. So relaxing to cycle in safety. You won’t regret going one bit. My only advice is take plenty of cash. Your UK cards won’t work in many smaller settings. It’s so peaceful the dog sits on the back of my bike like Lord Muck.

I hope this helps.

Lord Muck:
1651252113096.jpeg

I thought it would be interesting to hear what everyone's plans to do this year now we finally have more freedom. We have been pricing up our summer holidays and campsite prices appear to have rocketed both at home and abroad, we are sadly tempted to do a flight + hotel holiday in Portugal and then ad hoc weekends away here in the UK as even with flights it comes out cheaper than camping on the continent. What is everyone else doing?
A bit of a mixture this year. So far, a week in the New Forest (Cali), a week in North Norfolk (Deepdale - fantastic, with Cali), a few days in Westmorland (Settle - North Yorkshire as it’s officially known, with Cali, and seeing Fairport Convention - great). Soon, 2 weeks in North West Wales / Anglesey (Cali). Summer sees a wedding in Devon (no Cali) then a wedding in Toulouse area (Cali but only to travel). Early autumn booked for Somerset/ Devon/ Cornwall (Cali), and maybe then a week of Portuguese sun (flying).

Next year plans currently include Italy and Ireland (Cali).

Essentially the whole country is covered in numbered junctions on routes specifically designed for recreational cyclists. Typically at a number junction you’ll find a map and then directions to the next numbered junction. If you use the open street map cycles layer, all the numbered junctions are on it. You can simply note at the start of the day that you want to go 89-76-23-45 and so on. When you reach each one, there’ll be a map and a sign to the next one.
For this you can use different apps like: Fietsknoop or Komoot. It’s like cycling by numbers.
@66tim99 It all depends on what you would like to see and do. Give me ashout and I can help you out

The best campsite we have used in NL is Camping Petrushoeve which is between Venlo and Roermond. https://www.campingpetrushoeve.nl/ . We did a week there and were very far from running out of places to go. I’m going back for a week of solo cycling in June.

It is close to the River Maas in Limburg, however it’s adults only and no dogs.

It might be a bit trite to say that you could pitch up anywhere in NL and enjoy the cycling, but it’s true. From Petrushoeve, you can amble up and down the Maas, crossing back and forth by the many ferries. Venlo and Roermond are very nice to visit. There are also a number of National Parks to visit nearby.

However, in my opinion the most wonderful cycling is to be found in the Veluwe, which is an area of heath and forest in the middle of the country. It’s covered in cycle routes, paved and gravel and really quite lovely. Here’s an example:
View attachment 92485

We have stayed around its periphery - I like a long day out on the bike. I enjoyed Camping De Maaneschijn near Nijkerk: https://www.demaaneschijn.nl/ which was quite small, decent showers, peaceful setting behind a farm shop. Maybe 20 pitches. Also enjoyed Camping t’Boomgardje https://www.boomgaardje.nl/ near Wijk bij Durstede, which is well placed for the Utrecht High Ridge (by high ridge they mean about 20m tall). We did 9 days here and again, lots left to see and do.

But there are many, many other great campsites in NL.

To assist your cycling, have a read of this article from the brilliant Bicycle Dutch blog: https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2019/09/25/the-numbered-junction-network-for-recreational-cycling/

Essentially the whole country is covered in numbered junctions on routes specifically designed for recreational cyclists. Typically at a number junction you’ll find a map and then directions to the next numbered junction. If you use the open street map cycles layer, all the numbered junctions are on it. You can simply note at the start of the day that you want to go 89-76-23-45 and so on. When you reach each one, there’ll be a map and a sign to the next one. NL also seems to have a the greatest density of cafes anywhere as a bonus.

We love the place. So relaxing to cycle in safety. You won’t regret going one bit. My only advice is take plenty of cash. Your UK cards won’t work in many smaller settings. It’s so peaceful the dog sits on the back of my bike like Lord Muck.

I hope this helps.

Lord Muck:
View attachment 92486
FFEADDB7-8202-47B0-A206-45A5DB3336DB.jpeg
Thank you for this, you’ve sold it!
We love putting the bikes on the back of the Cali and taking the dog…

For this you can use different apps like: Fietsknoop or Komoot. It’s like cycling by numbers.
@66tim99 It all depends on what you would like to see and do. Give me ashout and I can help you out
Thanks - we’d love to get out for 4-6 hours cycling a day, mainly away from towns, in beautiful rural locations with great places to eat. If there was somewhere for a wild swim, so much the better…

We are looking forward to returning to Europe in the van this year, 90 days and booking only the Ferry and first campsite as usual. Our main focus is usually the Alps but just follow the good weather if the mountain weather is poor, not many places you can't get to in 6 hours.

I thought it would be interesting to hear what everyone's plans to do this year now we finally have more freedom. We have been pricing up our summer holidays and campsite prices appear to have rocketed both at home and abroad, we are sadly tempted to do a flight + hotel holiday in Portugal and then ad hoc weekends away here in the UK as even with flights it comes out cheaper than camping on the continent. What is everyone else doing?
Campsite prices up, food prices up, energy prices up, car (and Cali) prices up...this is becoming a world 'exclusive' to the wealthy few.

I can tell you some wild (and free) places to wild camp in Northumberland and the Borders - but the weather is a gamble. Assuming of course you leave only footprints.

We are off on a tour of Northern Spain on the 9th May for 3 weeks, which will be our first European holiday in the Cali. Route now planned and heading to the Pyrenees and Picos as part of or trip. Looking forward to the adventure

We are off on a tour of Northern Spain on the 9th May for 3 weeks, which will be our first European holiday in the Cali. Route now planned and heading to the Pyrenees and Picos as part of or trip. Looking forward to the adventure
Enjoy. I really fancy that trip one day.

We are looking forward to returning to Europe in the van this year, 90 days and booking only the Ferry and first campsite as usual. Our main focus is usually the Alps but just follow the good weather if the mountain weather is poor, not many places you can't get to in 6 hours.
Likewise. Ferry booked to Bilbao for middle of May and set to return 5 weeks later. Nothing else booked. Thinking of Portugal and northern Spain but the weather will dictate. Cannot wait.

Give us a wave if you see us. :thumb

Have fun and enjo. we were there in 2019, and the Picos are stunning! Will return somedays in future, same as to Scotland