Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The van helping us get the most out of life

J

JohnVZ

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
Hi all,
So we’re the proud owners of Mike’s old blue van. The crazy thing is the original owner (before Mike) lives 200m up the road… small world!
We’ve got 3 young boys and a lab so this van is ideal for us with the 5th seat as well as Mike’s custom rear bench for the dog.

Anyway- thought I’d say hi to everyone before turn inevitable questions start coming..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, first updates.
Been using this as a day can primarily, but so far we’ve had one successful camping trip one not (kids vomiting at 4am on first night).
And we’ve had a couple weeks in north Devon using it stay out with the kids on the beach till way past their bed times..
c9830091bc9722682c86ad678d3e2f57.jpg

But we’ve hit our first snag so far in that the fridge won’t turn on. I’ve been going through various threads and I’m in the category of:
- Battery level dropping quickly 20% in a few mins of stopping
- clicking sound coming from fridge area when I do try turn it on
- the fuse box diagram not being accurate (literally no fridge fuses under the seat)
- not able to see anything amiss via the access hole next to the fridge

So my current plan is:
1- Remove the front passenger seat so I can get to the top of the leisure battery
2- check to see if there is a fuse on it and if it’s still working
3- if it’s broke obviously replace it and then see
4- if it’s not then I guess it’s new battery time?

I’d welcome people’s thoughts
Cheers
John

Have you tried charging the batteries on hookup?
Does the fridge work on hookup?

Have you tried charging the batteries on hookup?
Does the fridge work on hookup?

I’ll try that in the morning! What is decision tree on that one?

I’ll try that in the morning! What is decision tree on that one?

The fridge cuts out when the voltage gets too low. Plugging into the mains gets the voltage up straight away & the charger should put in more current than the fridge is taking. If it works then you know the fridge isn’t the problem.

It really needs to charge for 24 hours to fully charge the batteries. Then try it, good batteries = 3/4 days of fridge.

Similarly try starting the engine - give it a few revs, say 1500 and try turning on the fridge again - this is a rudimentary check that the alternator is charging the leisure batteries.

Right, first updates.
Been using this as a day can primarily, but so far we’ve had one successful camping trip one not (kids vomiting at 4am on first night).
And we’ve had a couple weeks in north Devon using it stay out with the kids on the beach till way past their bed times..
c9830091bc9722682c86ad678d3e2f57.jpg

But we’ve hit our first snag so far in that the fridge won’t turn on. I’ve been going through various threads and I’m in the category of:
- Battery level dropping quickly 20% in a few mins of stopping
- clicking sound coming from fridge area when I do try turn it on
- the fuse box diagram not being accurate (literally no fridge fuses under the seat)
- not able to see anything amiss via the access hole next to the fridge

So my current plan is:
1- Remove the front passenger seat so I can get to the top of the leisure battery
2- check to see if there is a fuse on it and if it’s still working
3- if it’s broke obviously replace it and then see
4- if it’s not then I guess it’s new battery time?

I’d welcome people’s thoughts
Cheers
John

John, there are 2 leisure batteries, 1 under the passenger seat and the other under the rear wardrobe.
There’s a 50A fuse attached to the rear one.
The info you have received so far is good.
Charge the batteries on hook up to the mains for 24 hours and try the fridge.
I’d try the heater at the same time and see what happens.
Anyway, once the batteries are charged you’ll have a good idea what’s going on.
What year is your vehicle?
Paul

Wow! I didn’t realise that was there!
Thank you all!
Car was charge for roughly 4 hours and the fridge wouldn’t turn, but I unplugged the charge and turned off the main breaker and found the battery.
Looks like I’ve found a problem!
Any recommendations on where to get a new one and or if I should go to 75A?
Once replaced I will put it back on charge and see what’s what.
9f617b0e216ed554b7256c4503806c45.jpg

f76c52da2709216dda10d4b4da432400.jpg

c1907572c85d185995cbfcd1c729465d.jpg

Right- found a few suppliers of the fuse. Might get a couple in case it goes again immediately for some as yet unknown reason.

Right- found a few suppliers of the fuse. Might get a couple in case it goes again immediately for some as yet unknown reason.

Even with the fuse blown the fridge should work but you would only have 50% battery capacity time wise.

Are you sure you've not turned the breaker on instead of off? the switch is the opposite to what would seem logical.
If the breaker is off the batterys won't charge - simple test would be to plug something into the mains socket at the end of the kitchen & check it works.

In case you havn't realised, because you have two batteries, the cables you have disconnected from the boot battery are live as they are being powered from the under passenger seat battery, so be careful not to touch anything with them.

Yes- thank you, I double checked breaker position and the labels say “off”.

I’ve got a 2008 in answer to the previous question, and I’m hoping that if I resolve this fuse issue that the fridge will work… I’m not massively confident though.

I suppose I could just forgo the fuse and do a quick test to see if with the completed circuit it turns on but I’m a bit reluctant to do that in case I damage something.

Still cannot figure out where the normal fridge fuses are? Unless that cube fuse is actually it for the fridge? (Somehow, I’m clutching at straws here)

I’ve got a 2008 in answer to the previous question, and I’m hoping that if I resolve this fuse issue that the fridge will work… I’m not massively confident though.

I suppose I could just forgo the fuse and do a quick test to see if with the completed circuit it turns on but I’m a bit reluctant to do that in case I damage something.

Still cannot figure out where the normal fridge fuses are? Unless that cube fuse is actually it for the fridge? (Somehow, I’m clutching at straws here)

The breaker should be showing red to get power

John, as mentioned, charge for 24 hours and see what happens. You should have full power in the leisure batteries showing around 13v on the panel.
Run the fridge and see if it works.
In the meantime, check the interior lights are working.
I say this because I have a 2008 California and a common problem with that year is the earth shunt.
My problem was I only had power to the fridge, the panel, the courtesy lights when the engine was running meaning I couldn’t run the fridge as normal and couldn’t charge the leisure batteries via the mains.
It wasn’t a difficult fix (if you are Loz and you know what you’re doing)!

Thank you all- new fuses will arrive Friday. I’ll fit them then and then see what’s what, including that lovely handy guide on how to diagnose issues with the fridge…

Right- fuses arrived early so I fitted a new 50amp to the rear LB.

Put the breaker to on, and tested the fridge- still won’t turn on.

Plugged the charger in and tried again, still won’t turn on.

Will wait till tomorrow with it charging to see what’s what.

All the interior lights turn on no issues.

Work is insane at the moment but might get a chance to try the fridge guide tonight to see if it takes me anywhere.

Question: is there another of the cube fuses on the front LB under the passenger seat? Just wondering if that could have blown as well..

Forgot to mention- heater works fine (fan is a bit noisy on low speed).

Great news! (mainly)

So it’s been on charge for almost 24 hours, I tried turning on the fridge but no dice.

I then restarted the control panel, tried again and it stayed on! Hallelujah!

I then unplugged the mains charger and it continued to stay on
c067c156351b8e9a195006a9eeb8c0e6.jpg

Now the keen eyed among you will notice that the voltage is at 12.5 and it’s 100% @0804..

I went and rolled up the charging cable and came back to check on it
3339249e21653e4c6dfe62c55f929e99.jpg

And I’d lost 10% in 2 mins… BUT THE FRIDGE IS STILL ON!!

Will continue to monitor how it does over the day, maybe I wasn’t quite fully charged, who knows.

Just checked in on it- draw is now 0A and running at 12.4v with 90% remaining… good stuff!

Give it another 24 hours on charge if you can sounds like the batteries were really flat. At least you know the fridge is ok

The earth shunt problem (at least in my case) causes wrong information to be displayed on the central control unit. My batteries seemed to be losing their charge incredibly fast. In reality, they weren't.

Just checked in on it- draw is now 0A and running at 12.4v with 90% remaining… good stuff!

Ignore the % , it is a calculation based on the current draw in amps at the time. The voltage is accurate. Fully charged leisure batteries will have a voltage of 12.7+ volts 30 mins or so after charging has ceased from the mains charger or engine.
The fridge or parking heater will switch off if the voltage drops to 11.5v.

Ignore the % , it is a calculation based on the current draw in amps at the time. The voltage is accurate. Fully charged leisure batteries will have a voltage of 12.7+ volts 30 mins or so after charging has ceased from the mains charger or engine.
The fridge or parking heater will switch off if the voltage drops to 11.5v.

Thanks for this- checked in on it today and voltage is not 12.2v so it seems to hold true that they could have done with more charge.
All in all very happy that this is now working!

I did notice a thread on the water filler level thing, have ordered a replacement to fix it.

Does the same apply to the waste level?
47364daa1e3e323840109a2d57767910.jpg

Give it another 24 hours on charge if you can sounds like the batteries were really flat. At least you know the fridge is ok

Thanks I shall do!

Thanks for this- checked in on it today and voltage is not 12.2v so it seems to hold true that they could have done with more charge.
All in all very happy that this is now working!

I did notice a thread on the water filler level thing, have ordered a replacement to fix it.

Does the same apply to the waste level?
47364daa1e3e323840109a2d57767910.jpg

The Waste Level tank shows Full or Empty, nothing in between.

When the Waste tank is Full it will continue to work as the excess goes via an overflow system directly to the ground.

The Waste Level tank shows Full or Empty, nothing in between.

When the Waste tank is Full it will continue to work as the excess goes via an overflow system directly to the ground.

Ah brilliant! Thank you for explaining that…

Back