Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Queries prior to buying...

B

Bird-Boy

Currently have a well used 'Cornish' (by which I mean slightly scraped with a few dents in places) T4 high top. Have finally convinced my Wife that we need to upgrade and get a pop-top (I surf/windsurf and I'm sure out 2 boys will soon, as well as needing somewhere to house their ever-growing arms and legs overnight). We've looked at T5s and getting them converted down here in Cornwall (some excellent companies) but the cost of a reasonably new T5 plus conversion isn't far off that of a brand new Cali SE. Some Qs (we're visiting the VW van centre on Monday):
Are all the roofs electronic? Can you still have a couple of surfboards on the roof and operate it?
What extras would you recommend as 'must have'? I've read so far in the forum about reversing sensors and clima control.
Same again for 'nice to have' if the bank can stretch that far?
Would anybody try to talk me out of buying a new California? We're slightly concerned that we might jump up to the pretentious/ anal campers on our normal Cornwall camping sites...
Cheers :shocked

Hi Birdboy, know just what you mean about the price of a T5 van and then a high end conversion costing near Cali money, some more than. A conversion can give you more say in the design/indivuality but you can do quite a lot with a Cali to change height, wheels, spoilers etc. We are waiting on our Cali and it is easy to tick lots of extras thinking they are essential but the standard SE comes with everything you need really. Yes 3 zone climatronic is a nice touch but not a deal breaker and everyone recommends parking sensors. The SE comes with electric roof and the Beach roof is manual i think.
More experienced owners will be able to enlighten you more but one thing is for sure, they are always in demand so will always keep a good price down the line. Loads of info on here, use the search box re extras and spec etc.
Happy hunting. :thumb

Hi Bird-boy,

I agree with Larrylamb about the SE coming as standard with pretty much everything that would be a 'must' apart from the parking sensors and, for me, privacy glass. I didn't add the climatronic as it is a big expense and seems to mostly be of benefit to passengers, especially in the rear (I will mostly be a lone traveller with my dogs so standard AC is fine for me). However, with children in the back it may be a useful addition for you.

As for the 'nice to have' add-ons, the multi-function steering wheel (MFSW) and premium bluetooth were high on my list for safety and convenience and I have found that the MFSW is essential for me as the controls on the actual radio head unit require me to lean across to the centre of the van, with the risk of losing my position in the road (I am only 5"6 though so you may be able to reach better than I can!). I also added DAB and opted for Cascavel alloys but that's really just titivating :D If money were no object, I think the RNS-510 satnav would have been on my list, but this is certainly non-essential in my opinion.

Then of course you have all the accessory shopping to do too!

Enjoy planning - you won't regret it :D
Maud

The following are what most folk will consider as minimum options

Climatronic
Awening
Privacy glass
Front & rear parking sensors

They will help sell the California should you ever decide to do so.

Other options I have are

RNS510 satnav stereo
Multifunction steering wheel
Bluetooth
Mudflaps
Safe
Stainless side bars
Fifth seat (sold)

Fifth seat can be sold for more than it cost if you go for it.
RNS510, Bluetooth, safe & side bars can be diy retrofitted at reasonable cost.

Xenon headlights are expensive (£3500) to retro fit but can be done, so I would spec as option if you want them.

There are several threads on this topic, search & you'll find more info / suggestions.

:upsidedown All, thanks for the advice. We've now ordered our brand new California - Toffee Brown, 140, fifth seat, roof rack, bike rack, safe, Kenwood DAB/ Sat Nav/ reversing camera, Topper mattress, fitted for (but not with)tow bar - oh and waterproof seat covers to hopefully kid-proof it!

As a windsurfer and surfer, I've dinked many roofs in the past when strapping boards to the roof. Any top tips on rubberised straps, or canoe-style 'pull down the side of the van' racks that can be fitted to the roof bars?

Any tips for recommended insurance companies? Delivery expected by mid May - looking forward to it!

Birmingham VW van centre very good, with an 8% discount applied from the off - is that normal?

:thanks

Insurance best to go for a camper van specific insurer. Look in insurance sub forum.

Might want to add the new shower option?

For a brand new van the Dealership will try to get you to take GAP Insurance. Basically if vehicle written off in first 2/3 years then this insurance pays the difference so that you get a brand new van. Dealerships offer is expensive. Caravan Club insurance includes GAP insurance for upto 2 years. Maybe more expensive than some but has better cover in some circumstances. Nb: Comfort insurance - cannot leave van unattended for more than 36hrs without informing them.
Take time to read the small print, is all the camping stuff covered etc: ?

Have fun.

An extension on this topic -
:?: can anyone advise on the leather seat covering please? I am on the point of ordering leather for my new Cali and am told that the leather only covers the edges / sides of the seats and that the middle part (where you sit) is actually a type of suede. I am concerned that suede may be easily stained :oops: and not easily cleaned. I would really prefer full leather seat covering.

:?: And another question - what is the view on the radio/sat nav that comes as standard? Would it be okay-ish, along with a map?

:thanks

I have the leather/Alcantara seats. Whilst the Alcantara looks as though it won't be tough enough for life in a Cali, my experience of this material is 100% positive. My Cali is new but I had Alcantara on a yacht that I owned for five years and in that time it had just about everything thrown at it. It cleans up very well (without the Scotchguard or whatever it is that the dealers want to sell you), looks nice and is very comfy on a cold day.

Congratulations, Bird-boy! And of course a big :thumb on your colour choice!! :bananadance

Your spec sounds great and I know you will love it - I have never looked forward to the daily commute so much :D

I phoned around lots of insurance companies and the price range was huge, some quoting over £2000 a year for pretty basic cover! I found Comfort were by far the best for me (just over £450 a year) and they are always really pleasant on the phone, making everything clear.

Maud

£420 from Caravan Club with inclusive GAP insurance, 270 days/yr European Travel and ALL camping and interior equipment covered. Also no 36hr rule.
65 yrs old, 7 yrs NCD.

I am a member of the caravan club (I have been an associate member for some years and now also as a full member in my own right) but they were unable to get anywhere close to Comfort for me - they wanted just over £1200. I can only presume it is because of my age (28). I will try them next year though, to see if they will honour their promise to beat an insurance renewal quote by at least £25.

Maud

Maud said:
I am a member of the caravan club (I have been an associate member for some years and now also as a full member in my own right) but they were unable to get anywhere close to Comfort for me - they wanted just over £1200. I can only presume it is because of my age (28). I will try them next year though, to see if they will honour their promise to beat an insurance renewal quote by at least £25.

Maud

£1200 is outrageous. Age or not, it is outrageous. It is a campervan, not a golf GTI sports with go faster stripes.

I got fed up with them.

They kept asking all sorts of details about my existing insurance cover in order to offer the £25 deal. I must have said a dozen times, I'm not interested in deals, please quote me, as it is, A very nice Albert with a very nice Driver. No frills, no offers, no discounts, no inducements ... what is your insurance premium for this vehicle. I could not seem to get a straight answer.

MCh1777 said:
I have the leather/Alcantara seats. Whilst the Alcantara looks as though it won't be tough enough for life in a Cali, my experience of this material is 100% positive. . .

Thanks for the reply, MCh1777

Mangan

Jen, I agree that £1200 is outrageous but that seemed cheap compared to the quote I got from VW insurance. The best they could offer was £2887.84 or £3147.75 if I wanted to pay monthly - I wanted to laugh on the phone as it is just ridiculous and the lady could offer no explanation as to why this was so extortionate. If I hadn't telephoned Comfort fairly early on in my Cali research, I may have been put off completely by such unrealistic insurance quotes. Just shows that you need to put the time into the telephone calls. You would think it was a Ferrari California I was trying to insure :lol:

Maud

It is weird - I was given a really high £1000+ quote from VW insurance when I got the van, I think since they offered the 7 day drive away insurance you are obliged to get a quote.

The chap on the phone was really nice and he had a converted VW van so wanted to chat about campers.

Some people on here have had reasonable quotes - maybe commercial risk database is different to private???

I got some truly outrageous quotes £6,000, even £10,000! VW were very expensive - about £750. I ended up using Admiral (who also insure my wife's car) for about £375. All five of my family are covered and the youngest is 27. Admiral has a £50k value limit which can be a problem for the higher spec Calis but with a bit (well actually a lot!) of arm-twisting they will refer to their underwriter. I'm not sure how well Admiral look after the 'camping' things - I must read the fine print.