Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thinking of buying a new Ocean

C

CazzaJ

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Looking at buying a campervan and have narrowed it down to the Ocean or the Ford Terrier. We took the Ocean out for a test drive and really liked it. Was impressed at how easy it was to drive and the fact that it really didn't feel much bigger than our car. Not driven the Terrier yet, but have seen a friend's one and was really impressed with the interior and liked the solar panel (although living in Scotland.......). I'm guessing everyone on here will be slightly biased towards the Cali, but would be interested to hear from anyone who also looked at the Terrier and what swayed them to the Cali.

Hello and welcome to the forum. We've not had our Cali a year yet but we have used it last Feb in sub zero conditions. It was fine we ran the on board diesel heater all night on it's lowest setting, we have a Pucer roof screen to insulate the pop up roof area but you can also get a Cali topper from comfortz leisure and we sleep under 12 tog duvets (much better than sleeping bags). We didn't use the onboard water just a 5 litre water bottle kept in the van.

Some members go skiing to the Alps and have camped in pretty cold weather without problems. The van is well suited to cold weather.

Welcome , was thinking a terrier was a dog...?

Welcome , was thinking a terrier was a dog...?
Yes its not a great name, but then my son thought we were going to California and
Hello and welcome to the forum. We've not had our Cali a year yet but we have used it last Feb in sub zero conditions. It was fine we ran the on board diesel heater all night on it's lowest setting, we have a Pucer roof screen to insulate the pop up roof area but you can also get a Cali topper from comfortz leisure and we sleep under 12 tog duvets (much better than sleeping bags). We didn't use the onboard water just a 5 litre water bottle kept in the van.

Some members go skiing to the Alps and have camped in pretty cold weather without problems. The van is well suited to cold weather.

Thank you, that is very helpful. I will take a look at the roof screens you mention to get an idea of prices.

Depreciation comparison anyone?
I know where I'd put my wedge.

The huge amount of California T5/6 accessories, California dealerships and fanbase/residuals would incline me to say California all the way. Not being a snob but people dream of a vw camper not a ford terrier. That's not to say they're no good or that the Cali is problem free.

Looking at buying a campervan and have narrowed it down to the Ocean or the Ford Terrier. We took the Ocean out for a test drive and really liked it. Was impressed at how easy it was to drive and the fact that it really didn't feel much bigger than our car. Not driven the Terrier yet, but have seen a friend's one and was really impressed with the interior and liked the solar panel (although living in Scotland.......). I'm guessing everyone on here will be slightly biased towards the Cali, but would be interested to hear from anyone who also looked at the Terrier and what swayed them to the Cali.

Hello there!

I was hell-bent on the Terrier, then made a complete U-turn, and have just (last week) ordered a California Beach. I really liked the Ford Custom look, much more modern etc. Plus, I've generally have had a good experience with Ford, with cars in the past etc. I considered the VW over-priced and standard/boring looking.....

The main reason for the U-Turn..... Well, a VW Cali, is a VW Camper.... Some may say that's a snobbish statement however, the residual values and group support linked to the Cali, far exceed the Terrier (and speak for themselves.)

Have a look at a Ford Transit Camper, 5-Years old, on eBay.... And think, is that what you want to have in 5-Years time? Then compare that with a 5-Year old VW California. I think any savings made (probably not much) buying a Ford for the more modern design, which will not stay in-vouque, is short-sighted.

Then, after further digging around etc, I came to understand the value behind the California brand.... Which left me assured the Cali, was the right option for me.

Hope this helps you decide, I guess I am now boas in a way, but though you'd like to hear what my thought-process was anyway.

Good luck with whatever you decide upon. I guess, it's the lifestyle you afford yourself, that will be more important than the vehicle you choose to do it in.

Jonathan

We looked at both the terrier & the Cali. Husband test drove the terrier,also attracted by the solar panel. Not keen on the electric brake. Also the table was stored in the boot. Seem to recall only one of the front seats turned.
Once we hired a T5Cali, we were convinced it was the way to go. The build quality in the California was on a different level. The new T6 engine / adaptive cruise is brilliant. Also the California tend to hold their residual value. Also the support network provided by this forum another factor for our choice.

The Ford Terrier is a third-party conversion, looking at Google, albeit a good looking one, whereas the California is straight from the VW factory, simplifying any warranty issues, etc.
I tend to think the driving position in the T5/T6 is further forward - a shorter nose - so more space in the back in the VW, though I haven't compared the dimensions.

Well you're not strictly comparing apples with apples now.
The thread started with an Ocean. It's down graded (massively) to a Beach.

Take cover. Beach/Ocean debate about to kick off again. !

Well you're not strictly comparing apples with apples now.
The thread started with an Ocean. It's down graded (massively) to a Beach.

Take cover. Beach/Ocean debate about to kick off again. !
Me?
I was comparing the VW to the Ford - didn't even make the comparison between Ocean and Beach - wouldn't dare!

Just watched a video of the Terrier XL it has a toilet. That is the only thing I wish my Cali.

We looked at both the terrier & the Cali. Husband test drove the terrier,also attracted by the solar panel. Not keen on the electric brake. Also the table was stored in the boot. Seem to recall only one of the front seats turned.
Once we hired a T5Cali, we were convinced it was the way to go. The build quality in the California was on a different level. The new T6 engine / adaptive cruise is brilliant. Also the California tend to hold their residual value. Also the support network provided by this forum another factor for our choice.

Only just read about the electric brake, as not test driven the Ford yet, but agree it does kind of worry me especially as its a modification for the purposes of it being turned into a camper. Both front seats definitely turned in our friends' van, but they said it was a new version so maybe that's something they've fixed since you looked at it.

Hi,

We were all set to order a Terrier earlier this year but nipped into our local VW dealer for a quick look at a Cali - really to affirm that we were making the right decision. Really there was no comparison - having seen the Cali we completely changed our minds. The finish on the Cali is way better and it really does feel like a specially made vehicle rather than a converted van. We both drove both vehicles and enjoyed the Cali drive more - the Cali feels more compact to drive and, again, less van like. I like that you can get buy a better selection of custom made accessories for the Cali and Mr. W is happy that there is probably less depreciation on the Cali. Price wise, I'm not sure there is much in it - although we bought our Cali just before the new pricing came in this year. I did check the pricing pretty recently and was surprised how much the price of the Terrier has increased.

Having taken delivery of our 204 DSG Ocean about three weeks ago we're really happy with the decision that we made but, if you can, do a 'side by side comparison' - it really helped us to make our decision. Good luck and whichever you choose enjoy it:)

PS I think the Terrier is advertised as being a five -seater. We tried sitting on the rear seat with the chap at the Ford dealership and I guess you could fit three on the rear seat if you were going a very short distance but it was a very tight squeeze ( and we are both pretty small - as was the garage chap) and I wouldn't want to travel any distance in quite such close proximity to my fellow travellers.

Hi new member, We have been looking at both of those vehicles too, went to Wellhouse factory to look at the Ford Terrier, was very impressed and also been to local VW van centre too looking at the T6 Ocean. I can honestly say find very little difference in the them but I feel the value of the Ford will not hold up as good as the VW.

Hi new member, We have been looking at both of those vehicles too, went to Wellhouse factory to look at the Ford Terrier, was very impressed and also been to local VW van centre too looking at the T6 Ocean. I can honestly say find very little difference in the them but I feel the value of the Ford will not hold up as good as the VW.

Yes we agree. We had a bit of trouble getting to see the terrier and never actually got a test drive of one but got to drive the unconverted vehicle. The main selling point from Ford was that it was £10000 cheaper than the cali, but the quotes we've had are only about £2500 difference. However, the finance options from VW are far better than from Ford and it seems to work out around about the same price/ slightly cheaper for us to get the cali than the terrier, so looks like it'll be the cali as we don't see any advantage to getting the Ford.

Back