Marco Polo or California

• Thread starter Energy of the universe
  • Start date
E

Energy of the universe

Vehicle
Looking to buy
New member here.
Looking at California Ocean and Marco Polo Sport to buy. I’m surprised to see that the Marco Polo seems cheaper and better equipped with Leather, Westfalia furniture, automatic transmission, cruise, heated seats, nice alloys, and other things plus no cam belt or egr issues.

I’m pretty torn because I went into this assuming that I was going with a VW. But I’m very surprised that the merc is much better valua and seems to drive better too.

Will keep you posted!

• Haha
Reactions: Sad
I'm kind of out of touch but welcome to the forum.
Last time I looked there wasn't an awful lot in it that may well have changed.
Westfalia furniture & leather don't necessarily do it for everyone.
My Ocean has adaptive cruise, Heated seats, DSG box and obviously alloys fitted standard or as an option. Again defining 'Nice' will be the trick.
Does the Marc have curtains or built in blinds these days?
I couldn't answer the drive question having not driven the Merc.
Is the roof electric (genuine I've forgotten the question).

New member here.
Looking at California Ocean and Marco Polo Sport to buy. I’m surprised to see that the Marco Polo seems cheaper and better equipped with Leather, Westfalia furniture, automatic transmission, cruise, heated seats, nice alloys, and other things plus no cam belt or egr issues.

I’m pretty torn because I went into this assuming that I was going with a VW. But I’m very surprised that the merc is much better valua and seems to drive better too.

Will keep you posted!
Welcome to the forum, obviously everyone here is biased to the VW but you're correct the Marco Polo is a good on paper. I think the VW is less posh and a bit more utilitarian. Marco Polo downstairs bed is a nightmare as is the boot storage with camping chairs taking up half of it.
The advantage with the Cali is the huge info and resources available for the thousands of owners on Cali forums like this

The Cali is a more refined camper - eg. table in sliding door, camping chairs in boot door.

I’ve heard the Marco Polo is a more refined drive.

It depends on your priorities.

The T6.1 drive is good enough. No complaints in that dept even coming from some high end German cars. I like having the option of AWD. The MP interior does nothing for me. No pano window in poptop. Way too froufrou for my purposes and doesn't have the California cache or value retention.

I was parked next to a Marco Polo the other day in Annecy. I took a look through the window and it all looked very fancy and posh in the front. I’ve got nothing against that and am sure it will appeal to many but I think I prefer my more basic and functional dash that is full of stickers and sand!

I was parked next to a Marco Polo the other day in Annecy. I took a look through the window and it all looked very fancy and posh in the front. I’ve got nothing against that and am sure it will appeal to many but I think I prefer my more basic and functional dash that is full of stickers and sand!
That goes for the T7 concept as well :thumb

New member here.

Will keep you posted!

I’m a merc person.
I worked with both manufacturers in engineering. VW are vile to work with. merc not so.
I just bought my first vw… yikes.
had 3 merc passenger cars…. Loved all 3. W124, W202 & SLK 32.

Basically the Marco Polo is the better drive and the California the better camper. So depends on your priorities.
Wouldn’t be so sure on this….. especially with the new 2023 california issues.

New member here.

Will keep you posted!
I suppose it depends a lot on your main emphasis, if it is on daily driving or camping. If I switched from the Ocean I would be more inclined to get the LWB Nugget with its layout allowing for toilet and shower solutions without compromising daily drivability.

To further confused things, you might want to also consider the VW Westfalia Club Joker, IMO the best camper on the market right now

Surprisingly high number of threads with issues. I would buy a Mercedes Sprinter based Hymer, but a MP.... def no
I know someone with a MP same age as my Cali 2019, reoccurring ad blue sensor issues, electric sliding doors and brake issues all seemingly unable to be fully resolved properly in warranty.

I’ve owned both, the VW is a better camper.
The MP was very well made, but a bit glossy and fragile. At the time it was nicer to drive than the 6, now I've got a 6.1 I'm not so sure
MP rear seat was more comfortable and made a better bed, BUT a serious pain to lower
Upstairs mattress was better quality. the extra wheelbase made it more comfortable as well
Biggest problem with the MP was the dealers Merc classify it as a car so you have to use the car dealerships....they are awful!! Makes VW look like Lexus
I then bought a LWB Sprinter camper van, oddly, of all of them it was the nicest to drive. Too big though....one trick pony

If you can afford it, buy a 6.1

To further confused things, you might want to also consider the VW Westfalia Club Joker, IMO the best camper on the market right now
Club Joker is a great van, but storage space bit limited for say more than 2 people.

If you only need an occasional toilet, then current LWB Nugget plus offers more storage v ; Just a shame that Ford/Westfalia don’t offer the fixed high top roof on the Nugget in the UK (yet).

New member here.

Will keep you posted!
Ive had both, 3 years with a 250D AMG Marco Polo which I traded in for a 4Motion Ocean. I ended up selling the Cali after 4 months as I couldn't gel with it.
The MP is a far better drive, the position feels more like driving a car rather than a commercial vehicle. For me its important as we spend a lot of time behind the wheel to get to various destinations.
Regarding the interior style, this is just taste. It‘s well made and everything in mine worked! Agree that the chair and table storage could be better thought out though.
One major difference between the two was the vehicle length, the MP is built on the long wheel base so you get around an extra foot in the cabin, doesn't sound like much but it makes a difference when you have the bed set up.

The residuals are pretty good on both these days, VW offer discounts and incentives, Mercedes no longer discount theirs.

This part of the market essentially exists because they are multi use, daily driver and campervan, if I didn't need a second car I would look at a Hymer Free S, its similar money to a well specced ocean/MP.

MP no way. Hearing aid beige interior and a people carrier (airport taxi) conversion. But I accept beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

MP no way. Hearing aid beige interior and a people carrier (airport taxi) conversion. But I accept beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
err, mine was black leather with a carbon fibre dash, but whatever

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Back