Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thule roofbars

• Thread starter WimFromTheNetherlands
  • Start date
W

WimFromTheNetherlands

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
I have a 2018 T6 Ocean and am looking for Thule roofbars. I know they're for sale in the Club Shop, but prefer to buy from the Netherlands mainly for quick access.
I'm a bit stuck, because:
1. our dealer suggests only the VW ones are suitable. Since the many threads i found on this forum (e.g. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/removable-roofbars.29154/) that cannot be right?
2. Another supplier says their Thule sets only work with a T-profile, but not with a roof that opens. Also the Thule website says it's either opening roof (hefdak) or T-profile; see picture below. Where only for the T-profile their kit works...It seems weird to me that they are mutually exclusive, any idea why? To be sure, the T6 Cali has T-profile rails for the roof rack?
3. The set suggested here (https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/thule-roof-bars.16858/) should just work right? or am i missing something?

Thanks and sorry if discussed before, but both dealer and supplier got me questioning the suggested system.

1660561421924.png

I have a 2018 T6 Ocean and am looking for Thule roofbars. I know they're for sale in the Club Shop, but prefer to buy from the Netherlands mainly for quick access.
1. our dealer suggests only the VW ones are suitable. Since the many threads i found on this forum (e.g. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/removable-roofbars.29154/) that cannot be right?
2. Another supplier says their Thule sets only work with a T-profile, but not with a roof that opens. Also the Thule website says it's either opening roof (hefdak) or T-profile; see picture below. Where only for the T-profile their kit works...It seems weird to me that they are mutually exclusive, any idea why? To be sure, the T6 Cali has T-profile rails for the roof rack?
3. The set suggested here (https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/thule-roof-bars.16858/) should just work right? or am i missing something?

Thanks and sorry if discussed before, but both dealer and supplier got me questioning the suggested system.

View attachment 97835
I got the same statement from my dealer in Slovenia, that only VW roofbars are suitable.

Since I'm a little bit of a Thule fan, I decided to go to my Thule dealer first. And yes, even in Thule system there are no roofbars available for pop up roof, only t-profile for normal roof. But the dealer explained that all California owners buy t-profile roofbars and have no problem with it..

So in the end I bought the Thule roofbars last month, but didn't actually use them yet. I did try installing them on the roof - they fit fine, but I noticed that if I put roofbox on, the pop up roof doesn't open fully, the fabric isn't tensioned enogh, and that is with a completely empty roofbox (though it weighs 20 kg), so I decided that I won't be using roofbox.. I did keep the roofbars in case I will want to transport kanues, kayaks, surfboards, etc. in the future.

Long story short: Thule t-profile roofbars should fit fine on a T6.1 California pop up roof.

I got the same statement from my dealer in Slovenia, that only VW roofbars are suitable.

Since I'm a little bit of a Thule fan, I decided to go to my Thule dealer first. And yes, even in Thule system there are no roofbars available for pop up roof, only t-profile for normal roof. But the dealer explained that all California owners buy t-profile roofbars and have no problem with it..

So in the end I bought the Thule roofbars last month, but didn't actually use them yet. I did try installing them on the roof - they fit fine, but I noticed that if I put roofbox on, the pop up roof doesn't open fully, the fabric isn't tensioned enogh, and that is with a completely empty roofbox (though it weighs 20 kg), so I decided that I won't be using roofbox.. I did keep the roofbars in case I will want to transport kanues, kayaks, surfboards, etc. in the future.

Long story short: Thule t-profile roofbars should fit fine on a T6.1 California pop up roof.
A few of us have fitted Hinscha gas struts,. They are direct upgraded replacement for the California Beach maunual roof and are 600n and enable you to have a roof box or roof rack with 50kg and hold it up without it coming down.

My T5.1 handbook says the roof is good for 50kg load, believe coast roof is exactly the same design.

I use Thule on my T5.1 ( pop-roof with T-profile)
Do not have the specific part/item name/number.
Fits like a glove. Super happy with them.

dakdrager1.jpg

View attachment 97835
What's the big difference in buying either the VW or Thule roofbars? I bought a couple VW roofbars 2nd hands on MP (EBay) to transport the windsurf board, mast etc. Suits us more than fine.

A few of us have fitted Hinscha gas struts,. They are direct upgraded replacement for the California Beach maunual roof and are 600n and enable you to have a roof box or roof rack with 50kg and hold it up without it coming down.

My T5.1 handbook says the roof is good for 50kg load, believe coast roof is exactly the same design.

I am under the impression that the 50 kg only applies to the situation with poptop open. (?)

Back