Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tick over RPM

J

JacquiG

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Guys, what should the tick over RPM be on my 5.1? Mine seems a tad fast!

Thank you, mine is also 925 ish. Im new to the Cali and have found with DSG fitted, that revs cause a faster 'crawl' when in gear and foot off break. Certainly faster than say my Range Rover.
It will vary between 800-1000 rpm depending on engine load. Alternator charging/ AirCon / engine temp/ DPF regeneration or if DSG in D or R and brakes off. Any variation from baseline is due to the anti-stall function.

Mine is alway 925 on tick over after dropping down from a cold start. Compared to an old V8 at 650rpm I always thought it fast. Haven't checked it whilst holding it in drive as normally I'm ready to drive off!

Well I got stuck on the M4 last night and I can now confirm tickover when warm is a little over 800rpm. No change in drive or reverse (must have been a surprise to the car behind). Will check cold start tomorrow because I'm wavering on the 925rpm now

Well I got stuck on the M4 last night and I can now confirm tickover when warm is a little over 800rpm. No change in drive or reverse (must have been a surprise to the car behind). Will check cold start tomorrow because I'm wavering on the 925rpm now
Did you take the footbrake/ handbrake off when you selected D or R? AirCon on?

Ignore the 925rpm noted above. It does vary, I think due to anti-stall, when going through the gears at tick over, but even after cold starts it drops down to just over 800rpm..... I think I looked at the demarcation back from 1000rpm and went 900 but didn't register the graduations are at 200rpms intervals

Back