Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Diesel heater....tick tick....

Being a five 'o' the clock riser and needing a visit to the block as soon as I am vertical I find the whine of the sliding door opening and closing twenty times while I check it is absolutely closed makes me very popular on caravan club sites.
You need a porta potti cube

yes, as mentioned above it's the pump that feeds it with diesel.
If you camp on hook up, you could get yourself a small oil filled electric tube heater with built in thermostat. That would be silent.
I looked at tube heaters and all the ones I saw were low output. Are there others?

Hi all

So we have a relatively new Cali, still in warranty, and loving it!!!
However, the auxiliary heater is making a ticking/knocking noise that is quite loud and relatively annoying and therefore keeping us awake at night... is this normal or do we need to get it looked at? We understand it has to 'blow' but does it have to have that consistent knocking noise?
Thank you for any advice you can give us

It's the diesel pump . They're all the same on boats too . You'll soon get to like it .

You need a porta potti cube[/QUO

Nobody has ever complained to me......The lady in the next caravan at Crofton last week had her telly on so loud it woke my aunt and she has been dead ten years. The guy on the other side had to slam his motorhome door ten times just to make sure it was shut. I always get up at five and have to go straight to the block. Do not let it bother you. Campers are an easy going bunch.

Something like this https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HETH215.html on the floor behind the front seats perhaps? Left on all the time you are on hookup will keep the Cali at a base temperature then use the aux heater to boost the heat if you need to?

It will do nothing..... We had a 500w oil filled rad and it is simply not enough. Dimplex 2000w fan heater with a remote controlled thermostat plug. Perfection.

Get under the van and wrap a bit of pipe lagging around the pump.

Done.

Get under the van and wrap a bit of pipe lagging around the pump.

Done.

I do not do getting under vans..... Will it work if I stuff the pipe lagging in my lug holes?

The tick tick is perfectly normal.

This is the diesel pump that is used on the heater and is situated under the floor on the left front of the van so the tick will sound like it is under the passenger seat.

The pump will slow down once the heater is up to temperature.

You do get used to it and some say it can be quite comforting at night.

Alan

It will do nothing..... We had a 500w oil filled rad and it is simply not enough. Dimplex 2000w fan heater with a remote controlled thermostat plug. Perfection.
A dimplex may well provide appropriate heat, but I found that it dried my throat out too much running at night and it took most of the day to regain normal speech! The diesel heating is perfect IMHO, if you can hear it, you've not had enough to drink the night before ;)

A dimplex may well provide appropriate heat, but I found that it dried my throat out too much running at night and it took most of the day to regain normal speech! The diesel heating is perfect IMHO, if you can hear it, you've not had enough to drink the night before ;)
I have a 2010SE T5.1 and for the first year the diesel heater had no noticeable ticking noise. It developed a tick (more like a knocking noise really) and expert Cali mechanic at van centre replaced heater pump rubber mounting bush under warranty, it stopped for about a year of very light heater use and came back again. I just live with it now. Most people on forum now advise the noise is normal but I am not so sure. I suggest taking it up with van centre particularly if still under warranty. New T6 due May so we shall see if it still exists

Hi to all!
few days ago I did a check of my California in Official VW garage, they have done a better isolation of the heating pump .... the tick tick feels less than before ...but still present...

Tick tick tick tick tick sounds like a tap dripping can’t hear it now the radio is on lol.

Back