Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ticking under bench seat near sliding door

D

Dazshep

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, we have a T5 2015 SE, away in Germany and the ticking noise won’t stop. Any ideas?

tap (water) full off

Do you have any heart problems, it could be...

... a dicky ticker! :) (sorry, I'm in one of those moods today)

Is this with the vehicle moving or stationary? Or both?

It’s when you start up the engine. It ran for 50 minutes while driving. It’s a fast tick not like the heater pump.

The exhaust runs under that side of the vehicle. Could it be an exhaust leak?

The first sign of an exhaust leak is often heard. A sudden ticking or tapping noise that is loudest when the engine is first started and lessens as the vehicles warms up may be an exhaust leak. The closer to the engine that the leak is the louder it may be. Exhaust leaks located beyond the catalytic converter may sound more like a hissing noise.

Does it stop if your turn the aircon off

I will check tomorrow. I am sure I tried that but will see when we start off for the ferry tomorrow

+1,000km up mountains roads around the alps drove me mad with a tick with each change in direction, (tick) then back again round a corner (tick) - took us two weeks to find the culprit - un used rivet in the cup hold next to the sliding door and 12v output under our Ocean’s bench seat. Out of sight and out of mind. We’d taken the draw and contents apart gone a tad nuts narrowing the cause down... hand build van hey.

This is a crazy post, why respond?
I've got a ticking noise.

One day later reveals its from the engine compartment. wtf.

Sincere apologies for any offence not intended.

Are you sure it’s ticken it could be turkey?

This is a crazy post, why respond?
I've got a ticking noise.

One day later reveals its from the engine compartment. wtf.
For me this isn’t a crazy post. When you start your van up and there is a ticking noise from under the seat in the coving for 50 minutes that then suddenly stops. Nothing appear loose. Then yes I am a little concerned. Thought I would ask you guys as there are some people on here who know more about the vehicle than me. You may even be one of them who knows? But wtf hey??

Very remote chance here. Do you by any chance have a CD multi changer under there. We found one last week by accident, didn’t even know I had one as we had the CD slot on the dash.

Not that I know of. Just boarding ferry back. Will report it to VW when I get home. Nice find though a multi CD player.

For me this isn’t a crazy post. When you start your van up and there is a ticking noise from under the seat in the coving for 50 minutes that then suddenly stops. Nothing appear loose. Then yes I am a little concerned. Thought I would ask you guys as there are some people on here who know more about the vehicle than me. You may even be one of them who knows? But wtf hey??
Hang on, post #1 There's a ticking noise and it won't stop..Post #10 its when you start the engine..
Hang on again... I´ve just read the thread title and i am getting nearer to the full picture.

It was my misunderstanding, sorry for the -wtf :)
Although post #1 could've had a bit more info.

Do you have 3 zone clima? is it working okay in the rear of the van?

More info. I disconnected the leccy hookup this morning and switched off the fuse switch. Started the van this morning and set off with no clicking. Yesterday the fuse switch wasn’t turned to off and had the clicking. That is the only difference. Sat now having a cheeky Leffe on the ferry waiting to set off. It is a strange one and will report it to Liverpool van centre next week.....along with my misdemeanour with the wind out awning.....doh!!!!!

I had a similar problem which continued for anything up to 5 mins then settled down. The problem was a motor located at the back of the van driver’s side. The gear mechanism was slipping. I think the motor is a fan related to the cockpit heater. Replacing this unit resolved the problem. Next time you hear the noise open the boot and see if it is coming from under the bed close to the boot door. I originally thought the noise was coming from around the sliding door but in actual fact this was incorrect as it turned out. Sorry I am not very very technical but hope this helps.

Back