Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ticking under bench seat near sliding door

I had a ticking noise. It was part of the rear seat mechanism. A small rod tapping on the metal casing. It was just free enough to move and make contact. I took the rear seat out and slid a piece of soft plastic tube over the rod. Sorted.
Hi, we have a T5 2015 SE, away in Germany and the ticking noise won’t stop. Any ideas?

For me this isn’t a crazy post. When you start your van up and there is a ticking noise from under the seat in the coving for 50 minutes that then suddenly stops. Nothing appear loose. Then yes I am a little concerned. Thought I would ask you guys as there are some people on here who know more about the vehicle than me. You may even be one of them who knows? But wtf hey??

9401"]I had a ticking noise. It was part of the rear seat mechanism. A small rod tapping on the metal casing. It was just free enough to move and make contact. I took the rear seat out and slid a piece of soft plastic tube over the rod. Sorted.

Hi, we have a T5 2015 SE, away in Germany and the ticking noise won’t stop. Any ideas?
My new Cali had the light tapping noise from under the rear seat... It was the seat release link tapping on the steel case of the seat base unit. The right side has a fraction more clearance on mine but if you roll the left one with yor finger you can replicate the noise as the rod touches the casing.

I had a similar problem which continued for anything up to 5 mins then settled down. The problem was a motor located at the back of the van driver’s side. The gear mechanism was slipping. I think the motor is a fan related to the cockpit heater. Replacing this unit resolved the problem. Next time you hear the noise open the boot and see if it is coming from under the bed close to the boot door. I originally thought the noise was coming from around the sliding door but in actual fact this was incorrect as it turned out. Sorry I am not very very technical but hope this helps.
Thanks for that. Will report it when I get home

I had a similar problem which continued for anything up to 5 mins then settled down. The problem was a motor located at the back of the van driver’s side. The gear mechanism was slipping. I think the motor is a fan related to the cockpit heater. Replacing this unit resolved the problem. Next time you hear the noise open the boot and see if it is coming from under the bed close to the boot door. I originally thought the noise was coming from around the sliding door but in actual fact this was incorrect as it turned out. Sorry I am not very very technical but hope this helps.
Hi, mine has been doing this intermittently for over a year, sometimes lasts couple of seconds sometimes few minutes (switching engine off & back on often stops it) As you say, It’s clearly coming from panel in boot right hand side looking in , (I also read it’s related to a motor in there), Just been living with it for now, was yours fixed by dealer or yourself?, and how much did it cost ?

If the ticking has stopped and there is no update the van may have exploded. It is not the ticking you have to worry about it is when the ticking stops.

Hi, mine has been doing this intermittently for over a year, sometimes lasts couple of seconds sometimes few minutes (switching engine off & back on often stops it) As you say, It’s clearly coming from panel in boot right hand side looking in , (I also read it’s related to a motor in there), Just been living with it for now, was yours fixed by dealer or yourself?, and how much did it cost ?
The dealer fixed under warranty. If you open the boot door you will notice a vent at the back, if the noise is coming from there then this is probably the same issue. The panel removes quite easily and there is a motor unit behind it. Not sure what the cost will be unfortunately.

evening all. just picked up the van today after a health check and also sort the ticking problem out. The offending item was a "rear heater control motor". I sounds like it was the same as Calidocious problem.
All sorted now and getting ready for this years voyages.

+1,000km up mountains roads around the alps drove me mad with a tick with each change in direction, (tick) then back again round a corner (tick) - took us two weeks to find the culprit - un used rivet in the cup hold next to the sliding door and 12v output under our Ocean’s bench seat. Out of sight and out of mind. We’d taken the draw and contents apart gone a tad nuts narrowing the cause down... hand build van hey.
Peter Pan's lost boys and a crocodile who has swallowed an alarm clock?

Back