Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tilting rack with tailgate clearance for modern MTB handlebars (780mm)

H

haydnw2

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Does anyone out there have a sliding or tilting rack fitted (preferably to a T5.1, but I'm not too fussy) which they're using successfully for two up-to-date bikes, i.e. long wheelbase, 2.4" or above tyres, and 780mm-ish handlebars, and which definitely allows the tailgate to open?

We're looking at towbar-mounted bike racks, and I think my head is about to explode from the variety of options and conflicting information out there. We'll be loading two e-bikes, albeit one a lightweight one (17kg). My only requirement is that the rack tilts or slides far enough backwards to enable the tailgate to be opened.
- The Atera Strada looks good, but it's clear from this video that there's no way the tailgate is getting past the handlebars on a modern bike.
- The Atera Genio Pro might do the trick, but isn't available until August at the earliest.
- The Thule Velospace XT 2 looks great, particularly since it explicitly mentions long-wheelbase and fat tyres on current geometries. However, it seems the XT2 doesn't have enough clearance for the tailgate.
- So the general recommendation is to buy the XT 3 and just leave the slot nearest the van unoccupied. This seems a little strange, and rapidly becomes mega-expensive too.

Any alternative suggestions, or clarification/correction on the above, will be gratefully received!

Does anyone out there have a sliding or tilting rack fitted (preferably to a T5.1, but I'm not too fussy) which they're using successfully for two up-to-date bikes, i.e. long wheelbase, 2.4" or above tyres, and 780mm-ish handlebars, and which definitely allows the tailgate to open?

We're looking at towbar-mounted bike racks, and I think my head is about to explode from the variety of options and conflicting information out there. We'll be loading two e-bikes, albeit one a lightweight one (17kg). My only requirement is that the rack tilts or slides far enough backwards to enable the tailgate to be opened.
- The Atera Strada looks good, but it's clear from this video that there's no way the tailgate is getting past the handlebars on a modern bike.
- The Atera Genio Pro might do the trick, but isn't available until August at the earliest.
- The Thule Velospace XT 2 looks great, particularly since it explicitly mentions long-wheelbase and fat tyres on current geometries. However, it seems the XT2 doesn't have enough clearance for the tailgate.
- So the general recommendation is to buy the XT 3 and just leave the slot nearest the van unoccupied. This seems a little strange, and rapidly becomes mega-expensive too.

Any alternative suggestions, or clarification/correction on the above, will be gratefully received!
For what it’s worth here’s a couple of pictures of our XT3 loaded up. It does fold flat enough to open the tailgate with the bikes loaded.

9C901503-2FBC-419B-B58A-F0A5C2ABF108.jpeg

342E1698-24CE-4606-A876-4128FC5382D3.jpeg

You could just turn the handlebars of the nearest bike through 90o.

You could just turn the handlebars of the nearest bike through 90o.
We are currently travelling with two flat handlebar bikes and one drop handlebar bike on a Genio Pro. Whether it fits with the wide handlebars or not, I always rotate the flat handlebars through 90 degrees as suggested as it makes the whole process much easier and takes less time to do than the pfaffing about trying to get them lined up with the handlebars in their normal position - they always seem to catch on each other’s saddles.

The 90 degree move gives a lot more options I think.

We have just got a Velospace XT3; only used once so far to come back from the towbar fitter who also supplied the rack. I biked over to pick it up and put my Haibike AllMtn 2.0 2020 (800mm bars including grips, 2.8" tyres) on the middle rack for the return trip and didn't notice that it was anywhere near a problem with clearance. I don't know the wheelbase, but you may be able to Google it, and it fitted fine, but was getting towards the ends of the wheel trays. Straps were long enough for 27.5" wheels and the 2.8" tyres.

Whilst the rack does tilt enough to allow the tailgate to open, it's close! The rack needs to be parallel to the bumper, otherwise one side will hit. It's a bit nerve racking but I am sure I will get used to it! The fitter recommended, and I am a great fan of such things, cutting a suitable soft but firm piece of material to the right length and using that as a measure to ensure the rack is aligned properly.

I agree with @WelshGas and @Jim2007 that turning the bars 90° is the answer if you have any problems. It is quick and easy.

Just a followup. The bike wheelbase is approx. 1200mm (axle to axle) and the width of the rack wheel tray is, again about, 1300mm.

Thanks all - life's too short to be faffing around with spinning handlebars all the time, but sounds like the XT3 will work with a decent bar width.

I use the Thule Euroclassic 929 G6. I don’t know how similar it is to the one you are looking at. I also have no desire to turn handlebars. Seat droppers solve the issue of handlebars catching on the seat of the other bike.

When loading two mountain bikes with wide handlebars, I use the outer two rails. If using the inner rail, the handlebars will touch the rear window. When the rack is tilted the outer bike handlebars will touch the ground but there is enough room to open the door (just!).

Post in thread 'Towbar Bike Rack for 4 bikes T6.1'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/towbar-bike-rack-for-4-bikes-t6-1.34816/post-421573

We have just got a Velospace XT3; only used once so far to come back from the towbar fitter who also supplied the rack. I biked over to pick it up and put my Haibike AllMtn 2.0 2020 (800mm bars including grips, 2.8" tyres) on the middle rack for the return trip and didn't notice that it was anywhere near a problem with clearance. I don't know the wheelbase, but you may be able to Google it, and it fitted fine, but was getting towards the ends of the wheel trays. Straps were long enough for 27.5" wheels and the 2.8" tyres.

Whilst the rack does tilt enough to allow the tailgate to open, it's close! The rack needs to be parallel to the bumper, otherwise one side will hit. It's a bit nerve racking but I am sure I will get used to it! The fitter recommended, and I am a great fan of such things, cutting a suitable soft but firm piece of material to the right length and using that as a measure to ensure the rack is aligned properly.

I agree with @WelshGas and @Jim2007 that turning the bars 90° is the answer if you have any problems. It is quick and easy.
@ianm did you move the wire straps to the second position to give more clearance?

@ianm did you move the wire straps to the second position to give more clearance?
Yes, I did. Or more accurately, the supplier did when they set it up. The bits that are close to the tailgate are the clips that hold the frame with the locking bars on.

I have wondered whether to try and get another set of wire straps made up a few mms longer: there is room for the rack to tilt back a bit before it hits the ground. However, it does work as it is. Perhaps the straps will stretch a bit!

Yes, I did. Or more accurately, the supplier did when they set it up. The bits that are close to the tailgate are the clips that hold the frame with the locking bars on.

I have wondered whether to try and get another set of wire straps made up a few mms longer: there is room for the rack to tilt back a bit before it hits the ground. However, it does work as it is. Perhaps the straps will stretch a bit!
Or you could drill another couple of holes to reposition the straps? I have a slight issue that the rack does touch the ground (the black plastic under the lights). I think it’s due to having had the van lowered by 30mm? Carrying a couple of small carpet off cuts to act as a cushion but not ideal.

I think closeness of the hole to the pivot means that the new hole would probably have to overlap the old. But it’s worth undoing the straps and eyeballing it.

If too close, filing out the hole might work and can be done a little at a time!

Or you could drill another couple of holes to reposition the straps? I have a slight issue that the rack does touch the ground (the black plastic under the lights). I think it’s due to having had the van lowered by 30mm? Carrying a couple of small carpet off cuts to act as a cushion but not ideal.
Dumb user error !!
I needed to tilt the rack towards the van a little. All now good :)

Yes, I had wondered whether tilting the rack away/down a little would give a bit more clearance! So easy to outthink these things and miss the bleeding obvious!

Thanks all - life's too short to be faffing around with spinning handlebars all the time, but sounds like the XT3 will work with a decent bar width.
A friend has the XT3 with a T6.1 and has no handlebar clearance issues with his XL enduro bike. He did need to get the extra long straps from Thule for the wheels as his wheelbase is pretty long (1288mm).

I have a Thule EuroClassic G6 and found that when tilted it didn't quite clear the tailgate on my T5.1. I replaced the stainless steel wire stays with slightly longer ones (no change to anchor points). In case you are interested, I obtained the replacement stays from S3i Group, 1 Faraday Close, Snape Lane, Harworth, DN11 8RU. The specification of the replacement stays (as invoiced) is: - " 2 no. WR-EE-03 3mm Eye-Eye Assembly - 7x19 200mm Pin Centres". Clearance of the tailgate is now fine.

I have the Pro-User Diamant SG2 Plus Tow Bar Bike Carrier from the campervanbits site fits two ebikes and mine is a BH Atomx Cross pro, long wheelbase and 720 mm handlebars with detachable towing hook, Ocean T6 35 mm lowered all works fine.

Same as Glynlock, we also have the Pro-User Diamant SG2 Plus. No problems with lifting the tailgate when tilted with or without turning the handle bars on the first bike. Have found the bikes are easier to mount if the bars are turned.

If you’ve not yet made your selection we’ve a MaxxRaxx with a swan neck, recommended instead of the factory fitted rack by our main dealer, as we liked the look of the spoiler on the demo we tried. It tilts outwards for easy tailgate access. We have the two/three bike version and don’t have any issues as it has adjustable bike hanger placements (which deals with larger handlebars). Getting the four bike version would give you even more room as you don’t want to turn the handlebars - although we’ve never had to with our smaller one. Regardless hope you find something that works for you.

I have the Atera Strada and it works fine with my MTB and gravel bike on my T6 with the standard tow bar. I got the DL3 (the three bike version) which lets me put the two bikes in the furthest two slots, everything clears quite nicely.

I've been using a Thule two bike rack fitted to the removable tow ball. Yes , I have to turn the handlebars (2 Allen bolts) on one bike but it is a small price to pay for being able to get into the boot.
I'm convinced that I get improved fuel consumption when the bikes are on?

I have one of the older atera strada tow ball mounted carriers. We both have 780mm + bars on our bikes. When sliding out of the way I do just have to pull the bars slightly to open the tailgate. However if i put the carrier on slight turned clockwise on the ball, everything clears (just) !!!

6889ADF2-C6B6-4651-9A31-51D700006D2B.jpeg

We use the Atera 3DL and despite the wide bars on modern MTB's you can get the back door open if you loosen the clamp on the inner bike. However I have just bought an Orbea Occum MTB with 29" wheels and have discovered that the rack is not really wide enough for the modern geometry and 29" wheels. Had to stop for a re adjust on a trip last week as the bike was moving around so much.

Solution was to do a DIY extension on the rails we use, bike now much more stable.

PXL_20210614_102654515.jpg

PXL_20210614_102701278.jpg

PXL_20210614_121200833.jpg

PXL_20210614_121232237.jpg

Thanks everyone - I went for the Diamant SG2 Plus in the end, because I still couldn't get my head around needing a three-bike rack to carry two bikes, and it's substantially cheaper than the Thule. The wheelbase shouldn't be a problem according to the manufacturer's website, but I'm yet to work out how the tyre widths will work out (one bike has 2.6" tyres). I've now picked up the new bikes and have the towbar being fitted shortly, so I'll report back and confirm whether it works out or not.

Just to finish this thread off, @glynlock kindly provided pictures of the wheel chocks on the Diamant SG2 Plus, because I was nervous it wouldn't fit our bike tyres. It seems to take 2.4" commuter tyres, but there's no way our 2.5" and 2.6" knobblies were going in there (Maxxis Assegai, Minion, etc). I therefore swapped the Diamant for the Thule Velospace XT 3, and it works perfectly with two bikes on the two outer slots as suggested. 780mm bars on the slot nearest the towball will contact the rear windscreen.
IMG_1687.jpg

Two bikes with boost hubs on the outer slots are touching frame/forks at one end, and dangerously close at the other.

IMG_1690.jpg

But with a bit of padding it all works, once you set the rack to tilt to 70 degrees rather than the default 50. The outer set of 780mm bars don't touch the floor, nor does the tailgate go anywhere near the inner set of bars as you open it. Happy days.

Back