Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tinnitus sufferer asks how loud are Californias to drive?

P

Plinky

VIP Member
Hi,

I'm a tinnitus sufferer and am wondering how loud people find California's when driving?

I will be test driving one soon, but just wondered what they are like compared to modern
cars for example, and if there is any difference between the current models?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Tinnitus sufferer asks how loud are Californias to drive

The SE is very well soundproofed with thick insulation in the floor and double glazed glass from the B pillar to the back. We've driven long distances without issues; but open the windows and there's no hiding a pretty grotty sounding commercial Diesel engine noise.

So aircon on, windows shut!

like driving an upmarket car :D

As a Tinnitus sufferer I don't actually fully understand the question, maybe it's been put badly.
You have to remember it's a campervan and when you test drive it, it will be devoid of all the paraphernalia that you will put into it. In that situation you will find it very quiet. It then depends on how you stow your worldly camping goods as to how quiet it will remain. It has little road noise and is certainly quieter than my wife's car. I have never found noise an issue where my Tinnitus is concerned. It's only when I stand in a peaceful location, top of a mountain pass for instance, and you know it should be peaceful and quiet but the peace is drowned out by the Tinnitus.

The problem for me is that I have developed very bad tinnitus that is very sensitive to noise. I am having to sell all my classic cars ( Morris minors) because it worsens my tinnitus so much even with ear plugs. I don't own a modern car, and the California will become my only transport. From the replies (Much appreciated) it seems that they are fairly quiet on the road which is great. I was also wondering if there is much difference between the engine sizes?

Thanks

A 180 with DSG. Nice and quiet. They are pretty quiet. You could always add some aftermarket sound proofing if you realty wanted to.

Ahem, a manual 180 won't be any louder... ;) In fact if you can rev match, it's quieter. :D

I'm obviously fortunate with my Tinnitus in that it's not painful, just bloody intrusive and constant. Compared to your 'Moggy's' you will find it a very pleasant ride and quiet.
Our's is a 140 manual which does everything we ask of it, including towing a caravan, and has never let us down in the power stakes. Acceleration, speed and cruising are more than adequate and compared to your classics you will probably find it lively.
Good luck and enjoy.

Cali's aside, Tinnitus must be horrendous.
Did something set it off or did it just appear?

I have previously suffered tinnitus. The California does not set it off for me. It is pretty quiet and even better than some cheaper modern cars. As has been said just ensure that you pack the cupboards well - I find a plethora of tea towels gets rid of most rattles

It's generally caused by exposure to loud sound, in my case ships engine rooms in the 60's, but can also be caused by some drugs including asprin! Plinky is one of the unfortunate few in that loud sounds can become painful or distressing. Johnyboy is very fortunate in that his was temporary, possibly due to wax build-up which can cause it.
Due to long loud sound exposure I have also lost my high frequency which gives you direction of sound; I can hear it and when I see it it will have blue flashy lights on top but ask me which direction it coming from until I see it. Both conditions are quite often linked.
My conditions give me a wry smile when I read the posts regarding radio sound quality.
I don't think we need a support forum and kernowlad you don't need to worry because you wont hear it for the surf. :headbang

My ears will be knackered soon; almost guaranteed. :cry:

Could barely believe the day after 2+ years when there was "nothing". Mine was pretty much down to standing at the front and too many gigs :thumb :evil:

My tinnitus developed in the last two years from practicing a loud acoustic violin in a practice booth in my flat. I'm a pro player but performing is now out It seems. Most of my musical friends around the world still don't know about it to be honest...it is a hard thing to come to terms with...Heart-breaking really. I'm hoping I can travel in my 'soon to find and buy' California to quiet warm places, write some books I have been thinking about and record some more Cd's very 'quietly' in a peaceful place. Be careful with your ears...:)

I have tinnitus and can drive the Cali all day long without any aggravation of it.

My BMW 3 series was the worst. Used to drive me nuts for days after a long drive. Not so much in the X3 or the 1 series. I'm not too sure that it's decibels, In my case it seems to be more to do with sustained pitch ranges so could vary vehicle to vehicle, probably influenced by interior shape and space.

I also find vacuum cleaners and dishwashers the same, or at least that's what I tell my Sister when we are debating who does what :lol:

Funny, although I don't have tinnitus, I do suffer from high pitched whining when I fail to Hoover or wash up.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

GrannyJen said:
I have tinnitus and can drive the Cali all day long without any aggravation of it.

My BMW 3 series was the worst. Used to drive me nuts for days after a long drive. Not so much in the X3 or the 1 series. I'm not too sure that it's decibels, In my case it seems to be more to do with sustained pitch ranges so could vary vehicle to vehicle, probably influenced by interior shape and space.

I also find vacuum cleaners and dishwashers the same, or at least that's what I tell my Sister when we are debating who does what :lol:

Our 335d Touring was very quiet - the M135i is a bit louder (especially from the outside) but it's still not an issue over long journeys. I'd say the Cali with the windows shut is the quietest of the three but it's close.

My Dad's BMW Mini Cooper S (the first one) was SO loud and rattly, it induced a headache in anyone. Then another one when you realised a car with a mere 165bhp was doing around 20mpg. Fun to drive though!

KernowLad said:
GrannyJen said:

Our 335d Touring was very quiet - the M135i is a bit louder (especially from the outside) but it's still not an issue over long journeys. I'd say the Cali with the windows shut is the quietest of the three but it's close.

My Dad's BMW Mini Cooper S (the first one) was SO loud and rattly, it induced a headache in anyone. Then another one when you realised a car with a mere 165bhp was doing around 20mpg. Fun to drive though!

It is not about noise levels. Decibels do not necessarily aggravate Tinnitus. If it was then I would just have to have my Mother in law put down.

My 330 was very quiet, yet messed up my ears. Thinking about it my XKR was the same. I think it is as much to do with pressure levels as noise. or noise range as opposed to volume. My hearing is wonderful for my age, I can hear a bomb fall at 100 yards, my ears physically are in perfect order, yet the internal noise can be intrusively deafening with no noise aggravation whatsoever.

Some cars do it, others do not. Until this thread started I had not realised how aggravation free the cali is. Yet another tick in the right box for me.

Hmmm, hard to quantify the "right" pressure though?!

Whatever the reason for the issue, I've driven further in our Cali than any other vehicle; my record is 620 miles in a day. Apart from one small child meltdown, the kids were fine and I arrived home exhausted but ache free. I've also donemite than six hours in a day several times and always arrive feeling fresh and comfortable.

I think it's the sound insulation, the comfy seats and a few mod cons; it's a cracking big mile muncher.

Oops, just realised that I did a similar distance in the car when driving to the Black Forest; that was fine too.

Back