Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Strange Tyre Wear

I suspect the
None of the above ! Normal round town driving like Miss Daisy
The side walls only have ‘tyre black’ dressing on from when I washed the car last week, and would have noticed the tyre then if it was like it is now
I suspect the tyre black was applied not only to the walls maybe but also on the now damaged outer edge… what should be avoided at all time.

Tracking is the Toe angle......

The Toe angle can easily change with one decent hit of a kerb, speed bump or a pothole.

On T6 transporters ( I havn't got T6.1 info) its toe in of 5' plus or minus 10' when empty or 0' plus or minus 10' when fully loaded. The vw document for checking the angles is extremely specific as to what should be in the van when its checked & includes details as to where the toolkit needs to be stored & how much water is in the windscreen washer bottle.

Those figures mean you could be at minus 10' or plus 15' and still just in tolerance, I suspect you are at the plus 15' end of things, combine that with a few roundabouts & hot soft rubber & there's your tyres gone.

On the other hand a lot of toe in does make the steering self centre well.
I wasn’t aware it was such a wide tolerance and so specific go set up.
I took the hunter 4 wheel as being in spec and left it at that but was per Welshgas wouldn’t want go below 3mm and its the passenger side only, drivers is fine.

It would be interesting to see the actual wheel by wheel readings.

Late reading this.

One factor that I've not seen in the threads is that on full lock the caster angle puts the outer edge of the tyre as the main contact point, left or right turns will dictate which side gets most wear,.
Using power during this full lock will promote faster wear.

As someone mentioned earlier multistorey carparks need full lock going up and down the ramps hence the tyre squealing noise.

Hunter alignment showed my left and right figures differed for Caster and Camber.
Fitting adjustable bushes to the suspension got these set to spec. Not just to tolerances.

Late reading this.

One factor that I've not seen in the threads is that on full lock the caster angle puts the outer edge of the tyre as the main contact point, left or right turns will dictate which side gets most wear,.
Using power during this full lock will promote faster wear.

As someone mentioned earlier multistorey carparks need full lock going up and down the ramps hence the tyre squealing noise.

Hunter alignment showed my left and right figures differed for Caster and Camber.
Fitting adjustable bushes to the suspension got these set to spec. Not just to tolerances.
Are those bushes stiffer too, I got the impression that cali bushes were softer than commercial vans. I could be wrong there

Are those bushes stiffer too, I got the impression that cali bushes were softer than commercial vans. I could be wrong there
Poly bushes.
I'd doubt Cali bushes being any different to vans.

Same on my Beach, but I caught it earlier.
VW Garage said no issues so I took it to my local garage and the tracking was out, but only marginally.
I will swap front to back at 10,000 miles.

Have had our 204 4M from new (sept '22) and it only has 9K miles on it.
Was shocked to discover the condition of the front NS tyre earlier today :-
View attachment 110253
View attachment 110254

Down to the canvas and wire reinforcement ! It wasn't like this a day or so ago, but I have noticed that the outer inch or so on both front tyres has worn excessively compared to the rest of the tyre (which still have loads of tread on) over a period of time.

Tyre pressures are both normal, and the vehicle has never been rallyed, raced or kerbed ! Nor has the factory-original suspension been altered in any way. I've never known wear like this in all my years of driving. But I have always wondered why the MPG is so poor (31 MPG max !). Could this be related ? The guy at the garage said it doesn't look like a tracking issue to him.

Clearly two new tyres are on order, and I won't drive the van until they're fitted, but I'm wondering what could cause such an issue if it's not tracking ?
Late thought.

There has been similar issues due to tyre manufacture defect.

Basically when under manufacture the reinforced tread area was not centred, ie to one side of applied tread are, resulting in tyre edge not being properly supported.

Take it up with Bridgestone.