Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tinted Glass or After Market Tint

Is after market tinting usually applied to the interior or exterior? Is it an option when getting it done? Would applying the tint on the exterior mitigate the dual glazing issue?

Is after market tinting usually applied to the interior or exterior? Is it an option when getting it done? Would applying the tint on the exterior mitigate the dual glazing issue?

Mine was done to the interior. The dealer uses the tinting company all the time. Can’t imagine that exterior would be very robust..

The company the dealer used applied our tint to the interior. Should imagine this has increased the longevity of the product as not being blasted by the elements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a ceramic solar tint on all my windows, except windscreen, shade band only. This has a lifetime warranty and reduces the heat coming through the glass, no hot knees when driving. The passenger and driver windows were done in a light tint to stay legal. More expensive than usual tint material but in my view worth it. £50 per window.

I have a full limo tint from the B pillar back, on the little window next to the wardrobe he put a double layer on and you cannot see a difference from the outside at all

We had tints done on one of our previous vans. It looked good and gave more privacy than the standard privacy glass.

I had two gripes with it though:

1) It is an internal film and is not as scratch resistant as glass. We had a figure of 8 strip in the van and it marked one of the films and it had to be replaced on that window.

2) The "dot matrix effect" around the edges seemed to get worse over time. Particularly in hot weather.

There is also a third (slightly more expensive) option to consider and that is to have the glass replaced with darker glass. We looked into it and it wasn't as expensive as I expected it to be.

This time we opted for standard VW privacy glass and are happy with it.

I have a full limo tint from the B pillar back, on the little window next to the wardrobe he put a double layer on and you cannot see a difference from the outside at all
Ah yes. They call that "Undertakers Tint " around here.

Ah yes. They call that "Undertakers Tint " around here.
This privacy thing is overrated, with limo tint being verboten on the vast windscreen/side cab windows the voyeurs can still spy on you and your filthy little habits any time they want.

This privacy thing is overrated, with limo tint being verboten on the vast windscreen/side cab windows the voyeurs can still spy on you and your filthy little habits any time they want.
Either having the screen and side window cover on or the front blind closed takes care of that area.

same principal as is found on Ambulances, easy to see out but not in.

We have always been happy with factory tink but cannot say have experienced add-on aftermarket tink so can not compare.
Last week even had Mrs Nosey pressing her face up to the window looking around the van saying to her friend " I love one of these" and "It has got a cooker" not knowing my wife was inside. If I had been there I would have opened the door and said BOO.
I have more than once frightened nosey parkers by opening the side door when they didn't realise I was there!!

I have more than once frightened nosey parkers by opening the side door when they didn't realise I was there!!

That is pushing it. You should assist on an admission charge.

I have read some threads about the tint not being dark enough etc but I am wondering if anyone specifically did not specify the tint option when ordering new and instead opted to have a limo film applied afterwards instead?

Is this a good way to go? I would like the tint darker than the standard so would probably go for an post factory tint.

Is this a sensible way to go?

All advice would be most welcomed.

TIA
It would be quite a job to apply the tint behind the wardrobe.

I never felt that the factory tint in my SE was quite dark enough so on the T6 have factory tint and then an aftermarket tint - not as dark as limo but a mid range. I am delighted with the result. Just gives a bit more privacy, especially with the lights on.
Very handy at the Wickham Festival where I was on the through route for the rest of the camping field to go to and from the main site, the toilets and the showers :(
Hi Gillian. What % after tint did you go for? We are just looking at ordering a Cali and looking at all options. It all seems a bit of a mine field.

Believe me you can't see any "edges". Had mine tinted & as others have said the only obvious thing is the window behind the wardrobe does not quite match.
Can not see any edges on photos posted above either.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Hi Andy, what % extra tint did you go for and what company did you use?

Hi Gillian. What % after tint did you go for? We are just looking at ordering a Cali and looking at all options. It all seems a bit of a mine field.
I’m not sure to be honest as the dealer organised it. I know that it wasn’t as dark as full limo but maybe 50%? Give Martin a call at SMG Tonbridge and he should be able to tell you.

Hi Andy, what % extra tint did you go for and what company did you use?
Sorry I don't know the %. It was very dark could not read without light on. I have now removed film from the side windows.
Yes a dark tint looks good but not so practical.
Guy who did mine no longer does car tints.

I did mine with 95% limo on factory tint; the only option if you don't want a difference between double, simple and glass behind wardrobe. It 's true that reading in not too bright weather is difficult, but it brings way more privacy while parking in a city or village center. When I want to read I just sit in the reversed passenger seat, or use my spotlight. I even don't close the blinds anymore for sleeping, only my 'cockpit' curtain. I prefer to be able to look out at night when I hear a noise. From a distance the Aubergine color Cali looks then like a closed panel van.

Auberg-ine lac du Salagou 2.jpg

Hi everyone. We have worked out all the specs we want for our imminent Ocean order except for the glass. It’s driving me crazy. The only privacy option seems to be “Green heat insulating glass in cab with double glazed green privacy glass in the passenger compartment”. Is that what you guys are referring to as the factory tint or did VW used to offer something else? I was expecting a smoke colour.

Sorry I don't know the %. It was very dark could not read without light on. I have now removed film from the side windows.

Thanks Andy. Our last camper was a Toyota Hiace and although it looked dark on the outside, inside it was very light and airy. Interesting that you removed your film from the side windows, we too would want to read without turning lights on. My hubby will have the swivelled driver’s seat, the dog will have the passenger seat and I’ll collar the “sofa” so I can spread out and relax a bit. We do a lot of reading inside if the weather comes in and if it’s windy the top will be down so thanks for warning us not to go too dark.

I’m not sure to be honest as the dealer organised it. I know that it wasn’t as dark as full limo but maybe 50%? Give Martin a call at SMG Tonbridge and he should be able to tell you.

Thanks Gillian. I’m thinking limo would be much too dark for us too.

Back