Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tinted Glass or After Market Tint

C

Calibang

VIP Member
I have read some threads about the tint not being dark enough etc but I am wondering if anyone specifically did not specify the tint option when ordering new and instead opted to have a limo film applied afterwards instead?

Is this a good way to go? I would like the tint darker than the standard so would probably go for an post factory tint.

Is this a sensible way to go?

All advice would be most welcomed.

TIA

For the cleanest look I feel you would need both. When putting a dark tint on privacy glass the mismatch look of the double vs single glazed windows on the sides is less noticeable. From inside it would make no odds.

We have always been happy with factory tink but cannot say have experienced add-on aftermarket tink so can not compare.
Last week even had Mrs Nosey pressing her face up to the window looking around the van saying to her friend " I love one of these" and "It has got a cooker" not knowing my wife was inside. If I had been there I would have opened the door and said BOO.

on the SE/Ocean The issue for me if you don't have the factory tint before is the window behind the Wardobe, I can't see how a tinting firm could get to it without major work. You would end up with one odd window.

Just to say I'm adamant that my SE was a lot darker Factory tint than my Ocean

I never felt that the factory tint in my SE was quite dark enough so on the T6 have factory tint and then an aftermarket tint - not as dark as limo but a mid range. I am delighted with the result. Just gives a bit more privacy, especially with the lights on.
Very handy at the Wickham Festival where I was on the through route for the rest of the camping field to go to and from the main site, the toilets and the showers :(

Defo get factory tint then add aftermarket tint. After market tint on its own doesnt look as good.

I never felt that the factory tint in my SE was quite dark enough so on the T6 have factory tint and then an aftermarket tint - not as dark as limo but a mid range. I am delighted with the result.

Gillian,
I'd love to see pics of the result. I just keep changing my mind about doing this to my factory tints.
Do you have any to share? or is there a thread with a pic on already?

W
Gillian,
I'd love to see pics of the result. I just keep changing my mind about doing this to my factory tints.
Do you have any to share? or is there a thread with a pic on already?

Will see what I can find and post them. Otherwise will take some for you.
Mine cost £250 through the dealer.

When buying our Cali Ocean-we had same thoughts on what to do with glass. Ocean comes with factory fitted tint but we felt that was like being in a goldfish bowl. I know for others they find this acceptable & think it’s great. We Opted after lots of research for garage to organised mid tinted glass (not as deep as blackout) to be applied to windows over the top of the factory fitted tint before delivery. There is a slight difference in colour to the window behind wardrobe which can be seen under some lights, because the wardrobe prevents you getting to the glass. The wardrobe shades the glass so it’s only certain lights that if you look hard you can see the slight colour change. Most the time you don’t see any difference! We’ve Not looked back, no regrets, as we love the privacy it gives us. People have been known to get a fright when admiring, looking around our van (& we sure attract a lot of admirers). trying to peep into the back windows with their noses pressed against the glass only to jump feet when doing the same in the front windows seeing my husband & I sitting in the back with a coffee cup in hand. We can see out perfectly well & van not dark inside.
Good luck with your new van!
586b493753e87da68a0c288513778c22.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion, the genuine tint is by far nicer, than after marked foil. I am not so happy with the "edges" that the foil makes visible and the windows not look the same ….

In my opinion, the genuine tint is by far nicer, than after marked foil. I am not so happy with the "edges" that the foil makes visible and the windows not look the same ….
Believe me you can't see any "edges". Had mine tinted & as others have said the only obvious thing is the window behind the wardrobe does not quite match.
Can not see any edges on photos posted above either.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Believe me you can't see any "edges". Had mine tinted & as others have said the only obvious thing is the window behind the wardrobe does not quite match.
Can not see any edges on photos posted above either.
Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This might clarify what I am talking about … for me it is very visible at least ;-)

Have "stolen" the pics from @Calimagg's thread: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/window-tint.15840/

There are several other threads in here on the same issue.

IMG_2305.JPG

IMG_2308.JPG

The problem is you have a double glass where you mount film on the inner glass, and the outer glass is still not tinted. And if you have a single layer glass you will in most cases have the lighter stripe around. I have seen it done very nicely on single glass though.

:::::edit::::;

I have found that the angle and light when looking at the side makes a big difference. Anything straight on will highlight the wardrobe if you are looking for it.

Here is a picture of mine at an angle . These tints are the same spec as Gillians I believe.

View attachment 37483

Very smart looking van. Love the plate too :thumb

This might clarify what I am talking about … for me it is very visible at least ;-)

Have "stolen" the pics from @Calimagg's thread: https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/window-tint.15840/

There are several other threads in here on the same issue.

The pictures provided in that thread are I believe applied on vans without the VW Tint.
Whereas @GillianC & @DorisRoadtrip pictures are tints on top of the VW privacy glass.
I'm hoping this is responsible for the differences in the double glazed windows.
I realise that there will be a slight difference in some angles but would be happy with what I see on Gillian's & Doris Cali and which have aftermarket tints applied to VW privacy glass.
However @Calimagg didn't order VW privacy glass.

Even on the VW privacy glass with nothing else applied a difference can be seen due to the double glazing. It's slight virtually un-noticeable for 99% of the time but look hard enough and it's there. Whilst at the same time the level of tint is pretty light.
So if I can increase the tint and have a similar mismatch to what is already there I'd be happy and thats what Gillian and Doris pics suggest.

Last edited:
The pictures provided in that thread are I believe applied on vans without the VW Tint.
Whereas @GillianC & @DorisRoadtrip pictures are tints on top of the VW privacy glass.
I'm hoping this is responsible for the differences in the double glazed windows.
I realise that there will be a slight difference in some angles but would be happy with what I see on Gillian's & Doris Cali and which have aftermarket tints applied to VW privacy glass.

Even on the VW privacy glass with nothing else applied a difference can be seen due to the double glazing. It's slight virtually un-noticeable for 99% of the time but look hard enough and it's there. Whilst at the same time the level of tint is pretty light.
So if I can increase the tint and have a similar mismatch to what is already there I'd be happy and thats what Gillian and Doris pics suggest.

I have to say that I am really happy with mine. I can't tell that it has been applied separately and have never noticed any difference in the wardrobe window. My one worry was that it would be dark inside but it isn't. A lot of the time I leave the sliding door open anyway because I like the feeling of being part of the outside but in the evening, when I put the lights on I enjoy being not too much 'on show' without having to put the blinds down. Blinds just go down at bed time.

I agree that makes perfect sense. I mistook the question for genuine tint or foil – not genuine with foil ;-)

I agree that makes perfect sense. I mistook the question for genuine tint or foil – not genuine with foil ;-)
Well you are right actually that is where the thread started. But it quickly changed into a recommendation for both. Given the original question on a double glazed vehicle I agree with you that genuine tints would be better.

Back