Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tire depth increase

After recently being (almost) stuck on a muddy campsite field I’m keen to upgrade to some All terrain tyres with better grip. I currently have 235/55/17’s as stock but was curious about increasing the size slightly to 235/60/17’s. Has anyone done so and are there any issues? How far out will the speedo be - enough to notice in real world or covered in the slight margin left by manufacturers? Also what about the spare? Could I get away with the 55 depth current spare if the other wheels were now 60’s? Many thanks.

225x65x17
No issues

68E643D2-768F-458E-9BC7-FE42D3BFD3D2.jpeg

Why would you ?
Fair question and my first thought, others on here were quick to critise though! I guess in an accident I would t want to risk voiding my insurance but every other VW van seems to have bigger wheels anyway..

Fair question and my first thought, others on here were quick to critise though! I guess in an accident I would t want to risk voiding my insurance but every other VW van seems to have bigger wheels anyway..

I will look into it , I still have the genuine wheels and only changed tyres so assume the set up is still original spec , tyres are only marginally bigger.

From a quick search, it seems sensible to notify insurers about a change of tyres or rims. Most insurers I have quickly looked at say it is unlikely to change a premium but this was one piece I copied from a website:

You must declare any moderations to your insurance company, whether they were made by you or already present when you bought the car. Sometimes modifications don’t affect the price but need to be detailed on your policy regardless.

If you don’t declare all modifications to your insurer and later need to make a claim, your policy could be declared invalid. The insurer may refuse to pay out or give you a reduced rate.

I work often enough for underwriters (different sector) but the rules are clear, any material change must be notified to your insurer, failure to do so may invalidate any potential claim.

one interesting point I found is fitting a tow bar often reduces insurance costs as it indicates the vehicle will drive slower. not sure I believe it but. With insurance companies not making money from premiums, why run the risk of not being paid out?

I will look into it , I still have the genuine wheels and only changed tyres so assume the set up is still original spec , tyres are only marginally bigger.
If the wheel or tyre size, not type, are not mentioned on the sticker on the B pillar for your vehicle then they are deemed a modification. If not mentioned and noted by the Insurance company then they could be grounds to invalidate your Insurance in the event of a claim. There is unlikely to be an increase in premium.

Back