Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Toilet Talk

Paxtonend

Guest User
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
I am sure this has been asked before but please humour me. We are downsizing from a 7m motorhome to a 6,1 California soon, its ordered but delivery is long! It wont be a complete shock as we had a T5 conversion but long wheel base some years ago. So, in a new Cali can a porta poti fit in the living area when the bed is made up? What type, what size and where do you store it? A pop up toilet tent is an alternative but not ideal. We do exclusively go on campsites but it’s still nice to have your night time wee indoors if possible. Thank you.

I am sure this has been asked before but please humour me. We are downsizing from a 7m motorhome to a 6,1 California soon, its ordered but delivery is long! It wont be a complete shock as we had a T5 conversion but long wheel base some years ago. So, in a new Cali can a porta poti fit in the living area when the bed is made up? What type, what size and where do you store it? A pop up toilet tent is an alternative but not ideal. We do exclusively go on campsites but it’s still nice to have your night time wee indoors if possible. Thank you.

The Thetford 335 'Qube' model is I'm sure by far the most popular among Cali owners. It will just about fit in the floor space at the bottom of the downstairs bed when it's made up.

We almost never use it that way, because we almost invariably sleep upstairs so there is plenty of floor space for the portapotti etc.

The Thetford 335 fits comfortably under the rear shelf when travelling. Although some people store theirs in the bottom of the right-hand kitchen cupboard, or just keep it in the living area of the van (and some have made tasteful covers to disguise it).

There is a kit available to keep a 335 in the cupboard under the sink BUT what do you do with your pots and crockery?

Main choice is to not take one and use sites only for stops or take one and lose space in the back or behind passenger seat.
Personally the thing I miss most about the Cali after having a Motorhome and numerous caravans is onboard toilet/washing facility.

The 335 is easily disguised by buying a fabric covered storage box from Dunelm , the size of which is as if it was designed for the Thetford 335 - slips over it perfectly and looks and acts as a footstool.

The 335 is easily disguised by buying a fabric covered storage box from Dunelm , the size of which is as if it was designed for the Thetford 335 - slips over it perfectly and looks and acts as a footstool.
Yep, the boxes are great. Slide the box (Upside down) over the loo And put the box lid on top. Great footstool, as you say, but also convenient coffee type table If you put a tray on top.
Added bonus is the box bit packs flat and fits in to the lid when you’re not using it (like at night) so it doesn’t take a lot of space. Only £10 too.
We have the blue one, they do other colours too, can’t find a pic of it in the van but here’s one off the website.

B386B06F-163B-42CF-919A-96F941C6F8B0.png

How brilliant. I will source this asap, in fact even before i have the van or the loo. Thanks
Don’t put the loo in the box. Slide the box over the loo and put the box lid over the upside down box. Seems obvious but I have known people who put the loo in the box!

Having a loo in the van has been great for us during lockdown. When visiting people we go in the van so we don’t need to go in their house if we need the loo. When out and about we don’t have to go and find a loo that’s open or queue. I take Thermos flasks with hot water in for hand washing. We have the Thetford cube.

Yep, the boxes are great. Slide the box (Upside down) over the loo And put the box lid on top. Great footstool, as you say, but also convenient coffee type table If you put a tray on top.
Added bonus is the box bit packs flat and fits in to the lid when you’re not using it (like at night) so it doesn’t take a lot of space. Only £10 too.
We have the blue one, they do other colours too, can’t find a pic of it in the van but here’s one off the website.

View attachment 61338
Thanks for the link. I had a quick look last night and wasn’t sure what product to buy, I also would have put the loo into it so your tip is genius! I am going to order one right now.

Does anyone know if the taller Thetford 165 fits under the storage area at the back of the Cali?

Thanks for the link. I had a quick look last night and wasn’t sure what product to buy, I also would have put the loo into it so your tip is genius! I am going to order one right now.
Let me know when you find one in stock cause I can’t

I just got a fiamma bi-pot 30 - about the same sort of size as the thetford 335 so fits pretty much everywhere you would like, got it in stock from here: https://www.johnscross.co.uk/chemical-toilets.html

I sent a review to a colleague who immediately went out and bought the same:

"I would rather regret buying one and never using it than the opposite.

I shall reward you with the benefit of my extensive research in the subject to save you swotting. The market leader 'thetford 335' although looks a touch swisher, has an outlet that has a) a smaller diameter and b) a 90 degree bend in.

The Italian Fiamma one, although lacking in design panache which is unusual, benefits from a shoe-saving straight out and wide diameter opening. Nobody wants to be shaking these things to empty them"

I just got a fiamma bi-pot 30 - about the same sort of size as the thetford 335 so fits pretty much everywhere you would like, got it in stock from here: https://www.johnscross.co.uk/chemical-toilets.html

I sent a review to a colleague who immediately went out and bought the same:

"I would rather regret buying one and never using it than the opposite.

I shall reward you with the benefit of my extensive research in the subject to save you swotting. The market leader 'thetford 335' although looks a touch swisher, has an outlet that has a) a smaller diameter and b) a 90 degree bend in.

The Italian Fiamma one, although lacking in design panache which is unusual, benefits from a shoe-saving straight out and wide diameter opening. Nobody wants to be shaking these things to empty them"
I’ve had the Fiamma for a few years now and you are right! The wide mouth for emptying is a real benefit. It makes emptying and cleaning easy. Also you don’t need to be fussy about using more robust loo paper, rather than the camping stuff that breaks down quicker.

Ha ha this made me laugh. OK I will view them both if they are similar in size although I do not anticipate there EVER being a number two in it!!!! Thank you.

• Haha
Reactions: JDA
Ha ha this made me laugh. OK I will view them both if they are similar in size although I do not anticipate there EVER being a number two in it!!!! Thank you.
If it’s not going to be used to it’s ”full capability “ I’d say just get a bucket a lot cheaper, compact and it can be used for other purposes.

The early part of my review was :

"well I have toilet #1. to say I am underwhelmed is putting it mildly , however it is distinctly better having nowhere for your little precious' to go. however short of dysentery, you won't find me using it. ever"

Of course, we had it less than a week before getting caught short out on a day trip and the little princess has anointed the throne. But my comment that I am not planning to use it still stands!

How times have changed!

Gone from vowing never to having a chemical toilet to desperate purchase of one !

Hope this lets me camp this summer

Don’t put the loo in the box. Slide the box over the loo and put the box lid over the upside down box. Seems obvious but I have known people who put the loo in the box!
We had a look at these or something similar in Dunelm but unless the sizes are different they wouldnt be right for our porta potti..The measurements were exterior measurements which made a big difference..

We had a look at these or something similar in Dunelm but unless the sizes are different they wouldnt be right for our porta potti..The measurements were exterior measurements which made a big difference..
What portapotti do you have, Peter?

Do you have the Qube? There one hiding underneath the Dunelm box ....

c4fc2223d3e3473612a86f828ee1e34b.jpg
de4ba4ee7cc1769a63cd64093c1fdb5a.jpg