Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Toilet Talk

Do you have the Qube? There one hiding underneath the Dunelm box ....

c4fc2223d3e3473612a86f828ee1e34b.jpg
de4ba4ee7cc1769a63cd64093c1fdb5a.jpg
[/QUOTE]
We have the thetford cube and there’s no gap under our Dunelm box. Infact it’s about 2.5 cm taller than the loo (without the lid on the box).

F7C24570-CEC1-40BC-BFCC-0775724410C8.jpeg

Last edited:

c4fc2223d3e3473612a86f828ee1e34b.jpg
de4ba4ee7cc1769a63cd64093c1fdb5a.jpg
Hey, Kurienp, we have the same carpet. I bought 2 From Dunelm and cut them to fit. If we move the bench seat forward we only need to remove the back bit of carpet.

We have a Really Useful Box that fits perfectly between the passenger seat and the handbrake. The dog uses it as a step to get up to his bed on the passenger seat so I glued some carpet on the lid to stop him slipping (he needs to jump, he’s only got little legs).

A few weeks later I was in Dunelm and they had another one of the rugs that was badly damaged so I asked if I could have it for a tenner, they said yes, so I put a piece through the gap into the drivers cab and glued a piece to the side door foot well.

Cut a piece of Ikea door mat for the footwell and use a rubber backed bathroom mat inside the door and move it to in front of the kitchen when using the sink.

390CAE8C-0052-4700-B8F0-78B8E6B08BCC.jpeg

0FC76F54-1350-4849-AE32-9000E7F8AE33.jpeg

EA9BB54A-599F-4A05-AF4C-790EFF26B839.jpeg

65BEF73A-DDC6-4D1F-AA18-8E39BF5EFBD6.jpeg

3D5FC6DE-EBBE-4CD5-B2EB-641D20F80B02.jpeg

We have the thetford cube and there’s no gap under our Dunelm box. Infact it’s about 2.5 cm taller than the loo (without the lid on the box).

View attachment 61523
Hi Elly, what appears as a gap is actually the black border of the box. Yeah, looking at it again, it seems that there is a gap there

I also noticed two black square sticky pads on the door frame to the right side of my pic those are the pads that I had removed from the awning when fitting the new plastic part ... And then completely forgot about it.

Hey, Kurienp, we have the same carpet. I bought 2 From Dunelm and cut them to fit. If we move the bench seat forward we only need to remove the back bit of carpet.

We have a Really Useful Box that fits perfectly between the passenger seat and the handbrake. The dog uses it as a step to get up to his bed on the passenger seat so I glued some carpet on the lid to stop him slipping (he needs to jump, he’s only got little legs).

A few weeks later I was in Dunelm and they had another one of the rugs that was badly damaged so I asked if I could have it for a tenner, they said yes, so I put a piece through the gap into the drivers cab and glued a piece to the side door foot well.

Cut a piece of Ikea door mat for the footwell and use a rubber backed bathroom mat inside the door and move it to in front of the kitchen when using the sink.

View attachment 61524

View attachment 61525

View attachment 61526

View attachment 61527

View attachment 61528
That box looks like it was made for that gap I've also cut part of the carpet and used it in the centre as well.

When using the lower bed - fold the Qube cover, move the Thetford out of the way, roll the carpet and then pull out the lower bed. Works good for us.

My only complain with the Dunelm carpet is that it gives out grey woolish puffs. Even after a thorough vacuum, the grey woolish thing still come. Not sure what to do about that. I may try a hard brush on that this weekend. But for the price, the quality and the flexibility (to cut as you need) nothing has so far beaten this Dunelm carpet

I don’t like to disappoint all of you who think you have a discrete (excrete?) toilet in your Cali....but you do know that everyone knows there’s a toilet there ....you’re not really hiding it....
Each to their own, and I am actually not being judgemental of your choice in your van....but just the idea of going to the toilet in the van, well....it makes me feel physically sick....I sleep there, I cook there.....I’m certainly not going to poo there!

:Iamsorry

That box looks like it was made for that gap I've also cut part of the carpet and used it in the centre as well.

When using the lower bed - fold the Qube cover, move the Thetford out of the way, roll the carpet and then pull out the lower bed. Works good for us.

My only complain with the Dunelm carpet is that it gives out grey woolish puffs. Even after a thorough vacuum, the grey woolish thing still come. Not sure what to do about that. I may try a hard brush on that this weekend. But for the price, the quality and the flexibility (to cut as you need) nothing has so far beaten this Dunelm carpet
Those rugs are brilliant. The fluff does go out of them. After 2 vacuums with our dyson and a couple of brushes it went.

Just the two of us and we don’t sleep downstairs very often, but use the same system as you for bed, carpet and loo If we do. We keep our bedding on the back shelf in Ikea drona boxes that pack flat and lay on the kitchen top at night.

I like sleeping up top when we can and find the bed really comfy. Today I’ve done the Velcro for an isotop so it’ll be better insulated up there. Hopefully it’ll keep us warm in winter and cool in summer, also hoping it’ll insulate a bit against sound. Our last van was a high top Hiace which was really well insulated. We festival a lot through the summer (usually) and last year really noticed the noise levels “under” the canvas.

Me and the dog are sleeping out on the drive tonight as I want to keep the top up and ventilate the fumes from the glue promoter that helps the velcro stick. Well that’s my excuse anyway (I don’t think there are any lingering fumes).

Last edited:
I don’t like to disappoint all of you who think you have a discrete (excrete?) toilet in your Cali....but you do know that everyone knows there’s a toilet there ....you’re not really hiding it....
Each to their own, and I am actually not being judgemental of your choice in your van....but just the idea of going to the toilet in the van, well....it makes me feel physically sick....I sleep there, I cook there.....I’m certainly not going to poo there!

Don’t poo in ours unless we’re desperate, but as a woman of a certain age it’s a godsend in the middle of the night for a tinkle. We do a lot of festivals and stopovers at pubs so it’s really handy. It’s also great when we’re out for the day with our little granddaughters, especially when they declare “I can’t hold it in”! :eek:

The box is a nice Comfy footstool height. Not bothered about hiding the loo. If we ”camp” with an awning or toilet/shower tent the loo goes in there and the footstool stays in the van. Great to put your feet up and have an afternoon snooze.

I just noticed that Thetford do 3 cube sizes now. 335 (the one people usually get for the Cali), the 365 (for people who’s knees are shot or need a higher loo) and now the 345. If you’re buying just check which one you’re going for in view of where you want to store it in the van (especially when travelling.

if you need extra height I would say get a low one and stand it on a “Really Useful Box” full of stuff so you’re not wasting any space, but can still easily accommodate the loo in the van.

I find it preferable to use the porta potti in my Cali especially at the many festivals we attend where the public toilets are usually toe deep in faeces/wee/bog paper/other products. Each to their own.

Even if you’re at a festival where the loos are well looked after and the users very respectful add the British summer, either boiling hot or pouring with rain, and it can be a nightmare. Having your own loo is a godsend, especially at night.

Have you ordered one, Mike?

Yes, will send pics if it fits.

Out of interest. Do people fix their loos to the rails (those with Beaches who don't have the luxury of a cupboard that is ;))?

I find it preferable to use the porta potti in my Cali especially at the many festivals we attend where the public toilets are usually toe deep in faeces/wee/bog paper/other products. Each to their own.
I agree Jodalo. I’m not dissing you for your choice at all ....I’m simply saying that for me, this is an absolute no-no.
I can’t understand your choice, but I respect it.
Got to throw in though.....seems like some pretty good reasons for me not to go to Festivals In the first place?:eek:

Without an onboard loo I can’t see we would be able to use the Cali to its full potential.

Perhaps lucky so far in that for extended trips we use the onboard water and loo and not required for number 2’s. That would be emergency only.

There are just the two of us and SWMBO can’t whistle so I whistle for her.

Mike

How very fortunate of you to be Analy retentive ...Covid has no boundaries when it comes to public toilets.. Good luck finding one thats actually open and 100% sanitised...

How very fortunate of you to be Analy retentive ...Covid has no boundaries when it comes to public toilets.. Good luck finding one thats actually open and 100% sanitised...

We have had a camper for years and never bothered with a toilet. We have just bought one for this year.
It's not only Covid, it is due to the general public realising how nice the outdoors is and everywhere being so much busier.
Everywhere we have been around here there has either been a sign saying toilets closed, been queues for toilets or they are disgusting due to lack of cleaning

Well they do say "It takes one to recognise one".
As long as you wash or sanitise your hands when you leave the building the risk is so small it's almost impossible to measure.
A contact, defined by WHO, is within 2m for longer than 15 minutes of an infected person. I find I spend significantly less time than that inside a public toilet let alone that close to other occupants for such a time.
Life is a risk and I don't C**p in my bedroom or kitchen at home so I won't be doing it my California. I have my toilet tent and that works for us.

Round here, all the Public Toilets are Open. Enhanced Cleaning ( which means General clean in morning and then just disinfectant spray all surfaces x 3 during the day) extra hand sanitiser stations including one outside the building.
Life is a risk, manage it. There is no Risk Free Option.

It is actually ok for people to have different views Peter.

I’m not sure that refusing to cr4p in your van can be categorised as being anally retentive...might want to check your logic on that one? I’m pretty free and easy in the right location....which to me is a Toilet.

I’m ok with you and other people exercising their own free will - that’s what life is about....so you are welcome to cr4p in your van if that’s what you want to do...and I’m ok to be repulsed by the idea.....which I most definitely am.

You are also free to hold any fear you want that you’ll catch Covid by using a public toilet. As free as I am to say that I think you’ve got the risk out of all perspective.
:)

Thetford 335s (£69.99 +£5.99p&p) in stock at Camping-intl.com.

Yes, will send pics if it fits.

Out of interest. Do people fix their loos to the rails (those with Beaches who don't have the luxury of a cupboard that is ;))?
We have an ocean and cupboard space is too precious to put the loo in there, hence the box that doubles as a foot stool. what rails do you mean?

Thetford 335s (£69.99 +£5.99p&p) in stock at Camping-intl.com.
Thanks very much @Maxx - I’ve just ordered one from them. Amazon are looking £120 currently for the same!

I am sure this has been asked before but please humour me. We are downsizing from a 7m motorhome to a 6,1 California soon, its ordered but delivery is long! It wont be a complete shock as we had a T5 conversion but long wheel base some years ago. So, in a new Cali can a porta poti fit in the living area when the bed is made up? What type, what size and where do you store it? A pop up toilet tent is an alternative but not ideal. We do exclusively go on campsites but it’s still nice to have your night time wee indoors if possible. Thank you.
I bought a Bivvy loo from a fishing website. It folds up really small. No chemicals to find a place to dispose of responsibly. Biodegradable bag and crystals that soak up liquid. Look up Carplife website or Amazon. Sold my Thetford qube

I am sure this has been asked before but please humour me. We are downsizing from a 7m motorhome to a 6,1 California soon, its ordered but delivery is long! It wont be a complete shock as we had a T5 conversion but long wheel base some years ago. So, in a new Cali can a porta poti fit in the living area when the bed is made up? What type, what size and where do you store it? A pop up toilet tent is an alternative but not ideal. We do exclusively go on campsites but it’s still nice to have your night time wee indoors if possible. Thank you.
We took delivery of our new Cali in Januaty, the furthest it has been is in our garden, albeit we are in France with three acres, so it was fun. Porta lu seems essential now as would not want to use communal. We have bought the shower/lu pop up which fits at the rear of the van under the awning. From Decathlon, cheap as chips and ideal.