Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Too Big, Too Small

All
Thanks for the debate , even more confused.
Have looked at a few Van conversions today and think a 6M will be the perfect size , looking for something roomy and with an "Emergency" toilet .
Don't need and en-suite or a massive day bed but that little bit of extra room and somewhere to hang out when the weather turns south would be perfect.
Still want to stay with the VW or the Merc as need a good driver also
Again all ...many thanks

We have been having the same thoughts. We would like something with a little bit more room than the Cali but not so big that it spends most of its life parked up unused. It’s a pity they don’t make a LWB Cali. The Westfalen Club Joker looks like a good option but I have never seen one in the flesh and they are like hens teeth if you want to buy one. We have thought about converting one (a panel van) ourselves and are in the ideal position as, being cabinet makers, we have the skills, and a large workshop at home. But looking at the crazy prices of vans ripe for conversion together with the limited future resale value of an unbranded conversion the numbers don’t add up, for me anyway. So we are back to thinking that we are down to two options, keep the Cali or get a GC600, both choices involve major compromises which is why it’s such a hard decision.

We have been having the same thoughts. We would like something with a little bit more room than the Cali but not so big that it spends most of its life parked up unused. It’s a pity they don’t make a LWB Cali. The Westfalen Club Joker looks like a good option but I have never seen one in the flesh and they are like hens teeth if you want to buy one. We have thought about converting one (a panel van) ourselves and are in the ideal position as, being cabinet makers, we have the skills, and a large workshop at home. But looking at the crazy prices of vans ripe for conversion together with the limited future resale value of an unbranded conversion the numbers don’t add up, for me anyway. So we are back to thinking that we are down to two options, keep the Cali or get a GC600, both choices involve major compromises which is why it’s such a hard decision.
If it is LWB that you seek for: a Westfalia Kepler six or it's sister model: the Stylevan Melbourne.

All
Thanks for the debate , even more confused.
Have looked at a few Van conversions today and think a 6M will be the perfect size , looking for something roomy and with an "Emergency" toilet .
Don't need and en-suite or a massive day bed but that little bit of extra room and somewhere to hang out when the weather turns south would be perfect.
Still want to stay with the VW or the Merc as need a good driver also
Again all ...many thanks
Ford Nugget Plus?:

Great name though Nugget!

We love the Cali especially when the weather is good.
We seriously considered the Westfalia Sven Hedin based on VW Crafter or on Man. There are a couple of ex Cali owners who have them ,see their photos & reviews on here. In the end decided to keep the Cali , we have already camped x 6 since January. Also do frequent day trip to go paddle boarding/ body boarding Devon & Cornwall . The Cali is perfect down narrow country lanes .

Last edited:
There’s a couple of second club jokers in stock at campersales West Sussex:thumb

Thanks I’ve just looked on their site and they have a couple of new Club Jokers coming into stock but I didn’t realise they are around £90,000.

@NeillyG I just don’t know how CK are still in business. My buddy had one and it was rubbish…

I would absolutely consider the Nugget tin top if Ford released it into the UK market. It looks a really nice sized van with a clever layout.
Would go well with my new Buzz :)

@NeillyG I just don’t know how CK are still in business. My buddy had one and it was rubbish…

I would absolutely consider the Nugget tin top if Ford released it into the UK market. It looks a really nice sized van with a clever layout.
Would go well with my new Buzz :)
To be fair to CK my main gripe was with the dealership we bought it from as they just wanted to pass the buck to either CK or VW and had no interest in helping out despite selling us the van. I can understand from CK that it was a mechanical problem rather than the conversion that is why I felt the dealership should have helped out.
It’s ultimately why I went for the VW GC with dealerships network. Even if they are not fully up to speed with the GC my issue was having to go back to the conversion company anytime there was an issue. 900 mile round trip to change a seal or a light fitting. Sometimes they caved in and just sent it for me to change but with a lot of the crafter converted vans coming from the south coast and living in Scotland I decided if there wasn’t a local conversion company I fancied then VW it was. Also 4 months from order to delivery. I think unwound still have been waiting for many of the conversions a year on and they were quoting more for the spec I wanted too.
We did enjoy our CK for 5 years with not too many non mechanical issues. It certainly didn’t match some other vans I used for comfort and functionality but it was our gateway van and it served its purpose well.

Interested here listening to different views and some mention of 'coachbuilt'.

My wonderful T5 conversion has served me well for 7 years now and we've identified a couple of used Cali's which are at opposite ends of the country - just got to sell Colin.

We've come from camping in small mountain tents (with travel cots in) to a Conway Trailer tent. We are not bothered by bad weather but the issues of having to pack up tents when pouring rain and dump in the car ended in selling trialer tent and booking cottages to give dry bases. After 3 years of cottages realising we were fixed in our base limiting exploring we started eyeing up campervans/motorhome (big whites) and decided to take the plunge. My main criteria were something that was easy to drive and park, economical, can sleep min 2, hold value and be safe!!! You'll probably all say yep makes sense but what of the last comment????
Our decision was made 8 years ago when we were on our way to NW Scotland on A9 when we witnessed a terrible accident involving 3 vehicles - a car, a swift coachbuilt motorhome and a VW van. The section of road was 3 lanes with centre being turning lane for vehicles crossing our lane. There was a Swift motorhome sitting in that lane waiting to cross when suddenly without indication they decided to abort the crossing (loads of traffic) and turned back into into the main lane. Clearly they hadn't used their mirror and immediately got hit on nearside rear corner by a fast moving car (big Volvo estate) - bits of the motorhome went flying but the impact had pushed/swung it into out lane where it got hit by the VW T5 van travelling at around 50mph!!!! The rear of the motorhome was virtually obliterated by the VW and scattered debri all over the road. We were 2 cars behind the VW and as both first aiders ran to see what we could do. Amazingly no one was badly hurt. The Volvo driver actaully got out the car and went to help; the VW van was reasonably damaged and we managed to get driver out passenger side with minor injuries. The elderly passenger in the motorhome suffered a few scratches but the elderly driver sadly wasn't so fortunate as the van had impacted the rear of the drivers door. Thankfully he wasn't too bad and we cared for him till fire brigade could get him out and into ambulance. Upshot was all that was left of motorhome was the front cab and some of the rear chassis - the habitation was gone!!!! I was amazed how well the VW had survived.

Upshot was we bought Colin and vowed never to buy a motorhome!!!! Slightly off topic but........

I don't own a GC but I have made the transition to another, larger vehicle.

I was dreading some aspects which have proved to be illusory fears.

Being wider, longer and higher was going to restrict where I go, and my Cali took me everywhere, off road, off grid and definitely narrow. Well, my fear that would all go has not proved correct. I'm having a ball currently exploring places and so far have not been handicapped by size once. I just spend more time planning.

The toilet area is not a waste of space. It's somewhere to keep my rubbish bag, my laundry bag, my wash bag and what would have been an ugly and cumbersome porta-potti sliding around the lounge area. When not a wash room thanks to a convenient drop-down rail its also a highly effective drying room, much needed in my last trip cycling through a mendip monsoon.

The fixed bed is the crowning glory. Like most who own campers my lifestyle is active, my camper is a tool to get me to places, not a home to take somewhere else and live in it. It's a tool to carry me, my bike and my belongings to a place where I can explore and tour and photograph, then come home, to cook with a lot more room than I had before, turn two comfortable seats round with no fiddling with anything else, unlatch a table big enough for both working and eating and just flop into bed whenever I want to without packing anything away. Oh, it's not just a comfortable bed either, it's a huge boot space under with an adjustable divider so I can have some of it inside as a storage area for all those bits that used to get in the way when I had a Cali.

Yes, I'm looking forward to the next Cali joining the family, not long now but it will not be mine. The hulk will be on my drive, the sleek and slender Cali on someone else's, but so far all I can say is, 80 days away and more impressed by the day.
Great motivation for my proposed change later this year! Thanks. So what do you have now?

Done it, managed to find a GC600 and pulled the trigger...Will miss the California Ocean but just need that bit more space.

Amazing T6.1 for sale now
Well done, that was quick! What the spec/details?

I joined the club based on this thread, but we then went away for the weekend so am most likely too late if you've gone for one :)

We got our Grand California 600 in September last year; complete luck, we went to test drive one that had been bought, by the time we got there, it had become available. One test drive later, I bought it straight away... so we didn't get to choose anything not already in the van.

So a few common misconceptions:

1. It's great to drive. I've been fortunate to own quite a few bloody good cars in my time, and can safely say that the GC handles as you'd want, the only downside being we "only" have the front wheel drive. Honestly, it's even got a bit of kick if you're okay to drop it out of auto into (effective) paddle. No issues at all.

2. We had some problems - the (notorious) tap issue (until fixed, just keep that area extra dry after washing up), the sat-nav (needed a reset, the arrow was off screen), and the gas/combi took some figuring (now figured!) - but it was mainly a big learning curve. The combi emptying when below 5 degrees took me by surprise!

3. Space. We had two dogs - a beautiful lab, sadly taken too soon at 4 years old last year, and a very energetic 13 year old cocker spaniel. The latter remains with us, and absolutely loves it. We have 4 kids, but all too old to come camping with us - the middle daughter and boyfriend borrowed it for a weekend and are desperate to take it again. The table is slightly oversized, but it's a small thing - pilot seats work very well, space is just great for us. We took 3 of them out to the New Forest for a picnic, and while one had to (*cough*) lie on the bed the whole way (it's about 40 minutes each way), it was great fun still.

4. Storage. Honestly! It's fantastic once you get yourself organised. We had a second bed, so took it out and we got some foldable crates from Hay - all our clothes go in there. We have a toaster, a stove kettle and a stove coffee pot (which I wake up especially to make in the morning), we have the pots and pans, the plates, the cups and the crockery all stored wonderfully well (and have yet to want for anything). Once you've got your electric cable storage all wrapped (I bought this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08142Q8YV/?tag=eliteelect-21) and your flexible/expandible hose - all in one cupboard, with so much more space beneath the bed than you could use. We have an Ooni pizza oven, a couple of (VW!) deckchairs and walking boots beneath the bed, and have so much more we could put there. Storage above the beds is plentiful.

5. I'd most certainly rather have the wet room than the "space", which we simply wouldn't use. It's a camper - we tend to put the awning down, leave the door open and go off for a walk (favourite is at Glanusk, where is 3.5km to each pub..!). When we camped in Scotland over the New Year (albeit without dog), it was fabulous. Warm, cosy, and the bed is just fabulous. I swear to god, I sleep better in the van than at home!

I get it's not for everyone, but at 6m long, it's powerful enough to make it a really good ride, the facilities are great, the design very smart.

If the kids were younger, I might think twice. Mainly about taking them with me though... as it stands, after many years of waiting (always knowing we wanted a camper van, but always knowing we'd prefer one with a wet room; and my wife wasn't going for a "boxy" motorhome one), when we finally found the GC there was no going back.

A weekend in Cornwall, and 2 week roadtrip in France are coming up over the next few weeks. While we still have to do the annual in St Lucia or similar, the GC has sincerely changed our freedom and our plans. If you're anything like us, you won't regret it and you won't look back...

(PS, happy to answer queries on various fixes we had to employ as we found out more about the van - most certainly a voyage of discovery!)

Thanks for all this info. Still a difficult decision to make the change, but more space would be good

Here’s a review which may help.

Great motivation for my proposed change later this year! Thanks. So what do you have now?

I'm currently running around in a Hymer Ayers Rock. 5.4M long, 2.05m wide and compared to the Cali roughly the height of Mount Everest. However just a little bit more planning and the height disadvantage is overcome, but it can be problematic.

Inside no comparison. The height disadvantage is put to good advantage in loads of overhead lockers. The double bed is ridiculously comfortable, a cold foam mattress on top of a Froli spring base. It's high up but nothing a folding step can't handle and what's released, thanks to that height, is cavernous storage underneath the bed.

A big surprise, totally unanticipated, is how useful hot water on tap is. No more boiling a kettle every time I want to wash me or anything else.

No criticism of the Cali, after 8 years of living over 500 nights in one I will say without reservation it is the finest bit of kit for it's size on the market. It gave me unbelievable experiences and I am fortunate to still have access and part ownership of one but for now I'm in love with turn up, unload my bike, go out for the day, come back, cook with space to spare, eat and work with space to spare and flop into bed whenever I want without anything needing to be rearranged.

Interested here listening to different views and some mention of 'coachbuilt'.

My wonderful T5 conversion has served me well for 7 years now and we've identified a couple of used Cali's which are at opposite ends of the country - just got to sell Colin.

We've come from camping in small mountain tents (with travel cots in) to a Conway Trailer tent. We are not bothered by bad weather but the issues of having to pack up tents when pouring rain and dump in the car ended in selling trialer tent and booking cottages to give dry bases. After 3 years of cottages realising we were fixed in our base limiting exploring we started eyeing up campervans/motorhome (big whites) and decided to take the plunge. My main criteria were something that was easy to drive and park, economical, can sleep min 2, hold value and be safe!!! You'll probably all say yep makes sense but what of the last comment????
Our decision was made 8 years ago when we were on our way to NW Scotland on A9 when we witnessed a terrible accident involving 3 vehicles - a car, a swift coachbuilt motorhome and a VW van. The section of road was 3 lanes with centre being turning lane for vehicles crossing our lane. There was a Swift motorhome sitting in that lane waiting to cross when suddenly without indication they decided to abort the crossing (loads of traffic) and turned back into into the main lane. Clearly they hadn't used their mirror and immediately got hit on nearside rear corner by a fast moving car (big Volvo estate) - bits of the motorhome went flying but the impact had pushed/swung it into out lane where it got hit by the VW T5 van travelling at around 50mph!!!! The rear of the motorhome was virtually obliterated by the VW and scattered debri all over the road. We were 2 cars behind the VW and as both first aiders ran to see what we could do. Amazingly no one was badly hurt. The Volvo driver actaully got out the car and went to help; the VW van was reasonably damaged and we managed to get driver out passenger side with minor injuries. The elderly passenger in the motorhome suffered a few scratches but the elderly driver sadly wasn't so fortunate as the van had impacted the rear of the drivers door. Thankfully he wasn't too bad and we cared for him till fire brigade could get him out and into ambulance. Upshot was all that was left of motorhome was the front cab and some of the rear chassis - the habitation was gone!!!! I was amazed how well the VW had survived.

Upshot was we bought Colin and vowed never to buy a motorhome!!!! Slightly off topic but........
Yes, I saw this and my mind was clear that I wanted a panel van.

That's enough to give you nightmares- and the crash was 'only' at 40mph.
I'm always seeing them driving like manics in the fast lane at 80+mph
Who'd have thought that attaching a glorified garden shed to the back of a Fiat van was a bad idea

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

That's enough to give you nightmares- and the crash was 'only' at 40mph.
I'm always seeing them driving like manics in the fast lane at 80+mph
Who'd have thought that attaching a glorified garden shed to the back of a Fiat van was a bad idea

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
They should restrict them to 65 mph and not allowed to access the third lane. I’ve seen a few at eye watering speeds, considering the size and weight…

They should restrict them to 65 mph and not allowed to access the third lane. I’ve seen a few at eye watering speeds, considering the size and weight…
Probably a good job they rarely go over 50 on highland A roads probably more so now with cost of fuel.

Back