Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Top 5 Cali Paranoia

All that NOx, makes the bike go faster

I was just thinking of editing my post.

They're very different vehicles, one has the space and better suited as a daily driver, and one is a better camper.

My comment is more that the UK see the Beach as the downgrade, which is not the case in mainland Europe.

I believe this UK view has partly come from VW themselves with how they market the Beach and don't allow as much customisation. So it's Beach = cloth, manual, basic... Ocean = fancy, top-end, loaded.

That's really what I meant, many countries outside of the UK the Beach can be loaded with everything you want, plus you have the space, and can add the kitchen if you want, stick it back in the garage when you don't.

But hey it's Sunday, the sun is shining, we're all very lucky to be able to enjoy these wonderful vehicles, let's have a hug
:embarrased
Lets just say that it's the Beach that's really intended for the "discerning" customer whilst the SE/Ocean is for "beginners". After all an SE/Ocean is the obvious choice for any aspiring California buyer. It's only later that the truth begins to dawn. :thumb

I'll get my coat.

Lets just say that it's the Beach that's really intended for the "discerning" customer whilst the SE/Ocean is for "beginners". After all an SE/Ocean is the obvious choice for any aspiring California buyer. It's only later that the truth begins to dawn. :thumb

I'll get my coat.
"Discerning"... seriously I had to check the dictionary...

"Hi I'm two-saabs, and I'm a... beginner" is not how I will introduce myself when speaking to fellow campers

I'll get my coat.
But the cooker and fridge make a really handy shelf! And it’s only cost you an extra £10k.

Only in the UK, they're fully loaded over here!
Can confirm. THere's no snobbery here because the vans are not wildly different in cost. Beach is the biggest seller as I think it suits the lifestyle here - younger, active families who'll be skiing most weekends in season and up and down the coast in summer. Sleeping in the van less. We went down the Ocean path as there's just 3 of us.
The demographic seems very different. When I see an Ocean on UK plates here or over the border, it's almost always piloted by pensioners. That's my perception at least.

As I've said elsewhere, Beach owners are constantly justifying their purchase. Ocean owners just get on with it.
If there was an Ocean with 5 seats as standard with the option of 2 additional seats then I wonder how many Beaches would sell? or if there was a Caravelle with a pop up roof and bed how many Beaches would sell?

As I've said elsewhere, Beach owners are constantly justifying their purchase. Ocean owners just get on with it.
If there was an Ocean with 5 seats as standard with the option of 2 additional seats then I wonder how many Beaches would sell? or if there was a Caravelle with a pop up roof and bed how many Beaches would sell?
If you go around saying how much better you are than others, expect to get a reply

If you go around saying how much better you are than others, expect to get a reply
Oh there are lots of posts extolling the virtues of the Ocean compared to the Beach NOT.
Maybe because Ocean owners are happy with their purchase and secure in the knowledge that they have the best campervan on the market.

Oh there are lots of posts extolling the virtues of the Ocean compared to the Beach NOT.
Maybe because Ocean owners are happy with their purchase and secure in the knowledge that they have the best campervan on the market.
I think you're seeing what you want to see.

Consider a different perspective: drop the hierarchal / pecking order view.

Why not think everyone drives their first choice?

Maybe you only spend 10k on van because you work as a Nurse and that's what's affordable. Do we look down on those people too? Or someone has a Cali, they are happy, someone else comes in a Hymer (like I was trying to say earlier on this thread). Cool its got more space, personally doesn't fit my daily needs.

Maybe someone doesn't give a sh*t about campers and drives a battered old Saab, but is super happy and/or worth millions?

I just don't understand the view that anyone who doesn't have what you consider to be the best is somehow due to anything other than personal choice.

Are you happy with what you're driving? Assume so, that's great
I am too
So... what are we fighting about?

I think you're seeing what you want to see.

Consider a different perspective: drop the hierarchal / pecking order view.

Why not think everyone drives their first choice?

Maybe you only spend 10k on van because you work as a Nurse and that's what's affordable. Do we look down on those people too? Or someone has a Cali, they are happy, someone else comes in a Hymer (like I was trying to say earlier on this thread). Cool its got more space, personally doesn't fit my daily needs.

Maybe someone doesn't give a sh*t about campers and drives a battered old Saab, but is super happy and/or worth millions?

I just don't understand the view that anyone who doesn't have what you consider to be the best is somehow due to anything other than personal choice.

Are you happy with what you're driving? Assume so, that's great
I am too
So... what are we fighting about?
You have my blessing to drive what you like, when you like and in whatever way you like .

A Caravelle/Multivan with a pop-up roof and a bed does exist, it's called a Beach, and sells very well

A Caravelle/Multivan with a pop-up roof and a bed does exist, it's called a Beach, and sells very well
Exactly a MPV with a Pop up roof.
Trouble is, the Caravelle comes with a lot more goodies in the UK as it is marketed as a MPV. Leather upholstery, 4Motion etc Unlike the, whose name cannot be mentioned.

Its not so easy as peeling the roof off in a Caravelle, there's extra
air con vents and cables to re-route.

Just in case anyone had any ideas...

Exactly a MPV with a Pop up roof.
Trouble is, the Caravelle comes with a lot more goodies in the UK as it is marketed as a MPV. Leather upholstery, 4Motion etc Unlike the, whose name cannot be mentioned.
Ahh, so this is where the strange marketing of VW and the mix-up of comparisons come from

Interestingly, there are currently 36 SE/Ocean/Coast owners advertising their vans in the Cali's For Sale section. The average mileage being 33,170. By comparison there are only 5 Beaches for sale plus one advert by someone looking to buy one. Again average mileage 53,600. This ratio of SE/Ocean/Coast v the Beach is more or less the norm.

Whilst not being in anyway close to a detailed study this could at least suggest the slim possibility of a greater degree of dissatisfaction amongst the former group.

Interestingly, there are currently 36 SE/Ocean/Coast owners advertising their vans in the Cali's For Sale section. The average mileage being 33,170. By comparison there are only 5 Beaches for sale plus one advert by someone looking to buy one. Again average mileage 53,600. This ratio of SE/Ocean/Coast v the Beach is more or less the norm.

Whilst not being in anyway close to a detailed study this could at least suggest the slim possibility of a greater degree of dissatisfaction amongst the former group.
In the present times, only if they were planning on swapping for a Beach. More likely taking advantage of the Covid premium, realising the Campervan life is not for them or planning on getting a larger Motorhome to be self contained.

Yet another, the Beach is best because there are so few for sale. Probably so few for sale because so few were bought in the first place.

In the present times, only if they were planning on swapping for a Beach. More likely taking advantage of the Covid premium, realising the Campervan life is not for them or planning on getting a larger Motorhome to be self contained.

Yet another, the Beach is best because there are so few for sale. Probably so few for sale because so few were bought in the first place.
Totally agree on point one. (And you know @WelshGas we don't always agree!)

Although I don't think this says much about how many of any model were sold, there's just not enough quality data available

Totally agree on point one. (And you know @WelshGas we don't always agree!)

Although I don't think this says much about how many of any model were sold, there's just not enough quality data available
Exactly. Going by @Borris ’s extrapolation of the Sale listings, the Coast is the most popular vehicle.

Exactly. Going by @Borris ’s extrapolation of the Sale listings, the Coast is the most popular vehicle.
In time it will be interesting to see how the Coasts cannibalise Ocean sales. If price is a factor, less complexity long term etc the Coast is the answer for those wanting sinks and fridges.

Suggests a number of things to me:

Far less beaches have been sold & sales 2nd hand are in proportion with new sales.

Ocean owners want the new T6.1 so are selling to upgrade to superb new fully loaded ocean with digital dash LED headlights etc etc, whereas a new beach is much the same as an old one so no point changing.

No one wants second hand beaches - they get used as builders vans and removal vans & are filled with messy kids, so owners have given up trying to sell them.