Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Top bed, which way round?

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Another old topic but time for a refresh...

Top bed dwellers.... feet or head to the narrow end?

I have, through sad and unfortunate circumstances, been forced to move from my customary downstairs sleeping arrangements to upstairs... and in the process of discovering this new, wonderful, elevated world so far undecided which way round is best.

I sleep with my head at the front end and I use the safety net as a sort of headboard. The other way would be too claustrophobic for me.

Not using the net but placing some clothes under the mattress to make a pillow higher.

Not using the net but placing some clothes under the mattress to make a pillow higher.

Excellent!

I've got a thermarest pillow, just put that under the mattress, makes a big difference.

We're head at front, tried both obviously but head at rear makes getting up for the loo during the night more awkward!

Bit off topic but does anyone get "ferry legs" after sleep upstairs, I do quite badly for the first hour after getting up.

Feet to narrow end it is.

Other way arround i can't see the benefits, would be very difficult getting in there especialy when partner is already in there, feel bit claustrofobia.
You can't reach to the light or acces the window zippers or the controlpanel to turn the heater on in the morning.
And i like to keep ane eye on my dog who sleeps below .
Think it is disigned to sleep feet in narrow end.

Only plus would be the pillow not falling down when head in narrow end....

I sleep with my head at the front end and I use the safety net as a sort of headboard. The other way would be too claustrophobic for me.
Do you use the net to lean against as a headboard ? Trying to devise something so that we can sit up and read in bed rather than having my book hovering above my head :)
Mrs B

We're head at front, tried both obviously but head at rear makes getting up for the loo during the night more awkward!

Bit off topic but does anyone get "ferry legs" after sleep upstairs, I do quite badly for the first hour after getting up.
Feet at narrow end for me but intend to try the reverse. No "ferry legs" but occasional "duty free" legs

My daughter sleeps upstairs, and we shut the shutter to make it a more private space for her
Personally, it is sleeping with the curtains open to see the stars, sunrise etc, that make van sleeping for me. Upstairs would be like in a dark tent

Do you use the net to lean against as a headboard ? Trying to devise something so that we can sit up and read in bed rather than having my book hovering above my head

Off topic but - I've always thought the back of the multiflex board for the downstairs bed should come up at the back like a sunlounger for just this reason. Has anyone hacked this?

Do you use the net to lean against as a headboard ? Trying to devise something so that we can sit up and read in bed rather than having my book hovering above my head :)
Mrs B
Not to lean on more just to stop pillows sliding off the edge during the night.

Off topic but - I've always thought the back of the multiflex board for the downstairs bed should come up at the back like a sunlounger for just this reason. Has anyone hacked this?
Yes it does , great when downstairs sleeping , just wondered what folks do for reading upstairs x
Mrs B

Always slept head towards front,seems the natural way to me
Think that if I was the other way around and I got spooked in the middle of the night I would finish up with my head popping through the roof

Alan

feet to the narrow end. TBH we've only every slept downstairs once when it was raining so hard we couldn't sleep...the top is so comfortable, and it seems like such a hassle to have to move stuff downstairs to get the bed out

feet to the narrow end. TBH we've only every slept downstairs once when it was raining so hard we couldn't sleep...the top is so comfortable, and it seems like such a hassle to have to move stuff downstairs to get the bed out
It's feet to the narrow end for us for the same reasons as above, although reading more comfortable downstairs. Not found an answer to this other than to prop yourself up with pillows, one under the mattress.

It's only the kids that sleep upstairs in our Cali. They sleep top to tail, usually my daughter (the eldest) sleeps with her head at the narrow end. Loving all the ideas for putting things under the mattress. Keep 'em coming.

We are now into our fifth year of Cali camping and have only slept downstairs twice. We have found the upstairs bed with just the standard mattress as comfortable as sleeping at home. Whilst we started out sleeping with our heads to the open end, a night pitched on a sloping site forced us to try sleeping with heads to the back, and we have slept this way ever since. Give it a try - because of the way the roof slopes away from you it doesn't feel as claustrophobic as you might expect.
Other advantages are that you don't lose pillows or other items like books or glasses down the hatch and that it's easier for one person to get into or out of bed without disturbing a sleeping partner.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Head at the front for us too. I assumed if VW intended the head to be at the rear of the van, that would have been made the higher end of the pop top but who knows. I personally would find feet end roof too close to my face for a comfortable night but for others it may be ideal.

Each to their own though whatever works for you is the right answer.

Crikey! Another way to divide the forum population, this week we have remainers and brexiters, beachbabies and oceanites and now toppers and tailers.

I'm in complete awe of anyone agile enough to get into, and more particularly out of, a sleeping bag head to the boot upstairs!

Sleeping with the hatch closed is a good idea (unless you're wanting some heat from the heater). It's a good pillow saver, and allows extra arm room.

Has anybody tried sleeping side to side - may be a little compromising at the feet end :).

I only slept upstairs once in my old van but found being on the end of the pendulum effect from the rowdies downstairs to be too much!

I'd never considered putting my head down the dark end, but in the interests of open mindedness I'll give it a go now that @wyn has recommended a try of it - #challengeaccepted

Well, as a confirmed "sleep downstairer", I was forced to try the upstairs option following the tragic demise of my favourite airbed.

I have now slept both ways.

I have no problem with the claustrophobia, what I do have a problem with is the light position.

Sleeping head-first to the hatch filled me with complete illogical trepidation, sliding head first into a crumpled undignified heap on the front seat, but spookie's suggestion of raising the head end of the mattress has proved brilliant.

Sleeping head to the hatch has problems for me as I may need to make a very quick exit. No, it's not a woman age-thing, it's cramp. I am prone to nocturnal cramp in my calf muscles, especially if I have been doing a lot of running or hill walking. The only remedy is within seconds getting the foot of the affected leg on a hard surface and putting all my weight on it, otherwise it's excruciating pain and possibly a calf muscle in spasm for the next couple of days. Extricating myself from upstairs, head to the hatch position, would be difficult.

Tonight will be the test. Walked the 12 miles between Westward Ho and Clovelly and legs feel like lumps of knotted iron.

We tried head to the rear upstairs recently, bit too claustrophobic for us and woke up in the night and banged my head so probably won't bother again.

Head to the hatch for us - you'd need extremely long arms to reach the light switches otherwise.

Back